MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:34 AM   #3421
Skidder
Babbling Farker

I tell ya ever since I finished my UDS I haven't used any of my other smokers. These are better than a WSM in my opinion. 1st cook abt's, 2nd ribs and 3rd was pork shoulder. All went perfect.

Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2009, 08:07 AM   #3422
Babyboomerboy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
Skip all the creative stuff and build a clean KISS drum first and you will have no problems. Later you can start with risers, dampeners, heat shields, vibrating baskets, rotating grates, lint rollers, forced induction, laser lights, so forth and so on. Just get it up and running first.
Thank you Dr. KY. I read all your posts as I was working my way threw this thread. Several times I saw the advice to just build it simple and that is my plan on the first one. Thanks again
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2009, 10:21 PM   #3423
Kubbie
Knows what a fatty is.

Default My 1st time experience

WOW!

OK - here is the concrete-bottomed UDS experiment (for those that didn't catch intro info over in cattle call - very little bbq experience, and this is my 1st UDS).
It has 3 3/4" holes for intake, no nipples. Just fridge magnets for air control.
2" of 5000 psi concrete in the bottom, 1 week cure time.
24" from basket to cooking grate.

I got it finished up Saturday and was going to do a seasoning / test burn - gauge temps, times..

Got some scrap expanded metal from a friend who owns a metal fab shop. It was only about 5" tall, but very heavy so I didn't fuss one bit.
I didn't want to wait for Monday to go to his shop to weld it up, so used rebar wire tie to connect it.

Cut so pattern continues.

Bottom View

Got her 1/2 filled with about 5 lbs of Kingsford (didn't weigh, just eyeballed less than 1/3rd of an 18 lb bag). Sprinkled some hickory and mesquite throughout the coal pile.

I have a 12" fry thermometer that reaches right below the rack in the center. second is a Weber thermometer in the lid.

12:58 - Started the chimney with notepad an pencil to start recording times.
1:10 - The 10 to 12 (didn't count) coals in chimney were ashed over, so dumped into basket. All 3 intakes open.
1:15 - Fry Therm showed 250°, Lid showed 220°,
1:17 - choked 1 hole.
1:25 - Choked hole #2, left one 3/4" intake open 255° fry, 235° lid
1:44 - 255° fry, 235° lid
2:13 - 250° fry, 230° lid
2:16 - opened all 3 intakes
2:19 - 300° fry, 270° lid, choked 2 holes
2:40 - 260° fry, 230° lid
3:00 - 250° fry, 215° lid

No smoke stack, just using the 2" bung in the lid.
No paint yet, but beautiful in my eyes!

Neighbor walks over and is curious what I'm doing. Told him about the UDS - he is fascinated!
He says, "can't waste a good fire", so he jumps in the car and picks up 3 slabs St. Louis spares.
I told him this was my seasoning / test run, no intention of cooking!

So we quick dry rub up 2 racks with some JB's Fat Boy sweet rub, last one is a mustard rub and some Famous Dave's I had sitting around - don't really like it too much, and no time to make one.

No real rest time, had to leave for son's little league ball game at 3:30pm.
Take note - never cooked on a UDS, just left it to faith to hold temp.

Got back at about 6:30, Fry them was showing 215°.
Neighbor covered 2 holes while I was gone, he just left 1 open. With meat, UDS liked 1 1/2 holes - got up to about 235° with the extra 1/2 hole open.

This is what the looked like after about 3 hours - not bad for virgin experience...

Got them in foil, let them go for some more.

Started drinking beers.

Stopped tracking times and temps, forgot to take more pictures.
But thermometer was pegged..
No final pics - the ribs were great!!! Tender, moist, good smoke. Another neighbor came over, said better ribs than in any restaurant that he's tried.

Set it and forget it, why buy an expensive smoker when this works so well?!?

We let it burn til 10:30, still was holding about 250°.

I choke all intake and exhaust, didn't go back there for the night. She was cool in the morning.

Looked in there today, shook the basket around, probably had 1/2 of my usable coals left after a 9 1/2 hour burn! (Again reminder, I started with 5 - 6 lbs!)

Seriously, is it this easy?
If I'm not fighting temps, all I have to play with is recipes and cook times, sprays, flips...

But not fighting fires or low temps? Am I gushing? I am. I love it!
Kubbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2009, 06:11 AM   #3424
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

what's the purpose of the concrete bottom?

Old 06-22-2009, 06:44 AM   #3425
Kubbie
Knows what a fatty is.

See post # 3368.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:27 AM   #3426
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Well done.

You should make an ash pan to catch the falling ash, that drum will be heavy to turn over and dump. You can try using a shop-vac too.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2009, 10:32 AM   #3427
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubbie View Post
See post # 3368.
I agree with the 60lbs of dead-weight and the KISS comments but then again, if I listened to all the comments coming from the brethren when I was new here, i would have never build such a successful product as my KEG smoker so ROCK ON! Give it a try and just figure the worst thing you would run into is breaking the 2" block out of the bottom!

I am in the search for a thick gauge steel drum for my first drum build so anyone knows where to find one in PA.. PM me!

Old 06-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #3428
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Kubbie- I know insulation on the top and sides of your barrel would have more effect. My barrel wont even melt the ice under it when I do winter smokes so there is no need for me to worry about heat loss to the bottom.

On a different note-Seems like everyday someone is taking shots at smokers. First it was the Traeger not giving any smoke, next it was the BG egg falling apart and next we'll see somebody taking shots at the UDS. Problems with the Egg and Traeger seem suspicious and if someone comes along with UDS trouble well we will KNOW that is suspicious!!! LOL
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2009, 10:32 PM   #3429
Kubbie
Knows what a fatty is.

Question that didn't know where to post, if here or start a new thread.

I would like to do some fish on a longer, almost cold smoke. Any tips for a 150° - 190° smoke on a UDS - as for # of lit coals vs what's in the basket, more exhaust, almost no intake air...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20loo View Post
Kubbie- I know insulation on the top and sides of your barrel would have more effect. My barrel wont even melt the ice under it when I do winter smokes so there is no need for me to worry about heat loss to the bottom.
I know that now, it was just an experiment. (Actually, my excuse is weight as a theft deterrent ;)
I need to pound the Weber lid to fit now, to regain some of that lost space

Old 06-23-2009, 05:00 AM   #3430
Skidder
Babbling Farker

I found a piece of paper that must have been stuck to the bottom of my ash pan / charcoal basket and after two smokes it wasn't even burned. Very charred but not burned. So I figure not much heat goes down.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2009, 08:37 AM   #3431
HawkeyeQue
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Great Thread fellas. I'm new here but after reading about the first 1/8 of this thread I was already inspired so I just laid claim to my first 55er this morning on Craigslist. It is closed ended and contained vegetable oil. I'm still working my way through the thread so I'm sure it's probably covered somewhere in here but I have a few questions that have popped into my head.
1. has anyone had experience using a vegetable oil barrel? Think the inside is lined or will it be clean steel?
2. I'm planning on getting a dome to put on top but what's the best way to open one end? Sawzall? Jigsaw?

Would appreciate any help, now I just can't wait to start my build. Too bad that baby is due any day now, my build may get delayed a bit.
HawkeyeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2009, 06:32 PM   #3432
bacardi2001
Full Fledged Farker

Default double barreled smoker

well now im just frustrated not only is it hard to find a barrel out here southern california ( san fernando valley ). but nobody will ship me those barrel stove kits because of " CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS LAWS ". i tried us stove company and their distributors which make a cheaper ( price ) kit but they all of a sudden ran out of kits and wont get any in until sept. so can any on suggest an alternate way of connecting the 2 barrels ( no welding ) or any other solution for me? thanks alot
bacardi2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2009, 09:08 PM   #3433
Wyley
On the road to being a farker

Hey everyone, if you are close to Peachtree City, GA there is someone selling a lot of 4 55 gal food grade drums. The current bid is $3.00 with a little over 11 hours left. They say they have some more also. Local pick up only. I hope it's OK to post the link to the auction. Apologies in advance if I shouldn't have.

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-metal-drums-barrels-55-gallon-food-grade_W0QQitemZ120436132057QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0a8d88d9&_trksid=p3286.c 0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1 205%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Paul
Wyley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2009, 12:23 AM   #3434
Kubbie
Knows what a fatty is.

Default No-weld handle for flat lid

My first read was a quick skimming for visuals, so I'll add some more pics:

I purchase a couple of these chipping hammers from Harbor Freight. Cut off the hammer, and took a propane torch to heat and bend.

I found that a 3/8" die works perfectly for this diameter.

Cut down about an inch.

Threaded

A nut and washer on both sides of the lid and you have a handle.

Ain't she ugly?

Old 06-24-2009, 02:15 AM   #3435
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeQue View Post
Great Thread fellas. I'm new here but after reading about the first 1/8 of this thread I was already inspired so I just laid claim to my first 55er this morning on Craigslist. It is closed ended and contained vegetable oil. I'm still working my way through the thread so I'm sure it's probably covered somewhere in here but I have a few questions that have popped into my head.
1. has anyone had experience using a vegetable oil barrel? Think the inside is lined or will it be clean steel?
2. I'm planning on getting a dome to put on top but what's the best way to open one end? Sawzall? Jigsaw?

Would appreciate any help, now I just can't wait to start my build. Too bad that baby is due any day now, my build may get delayed a bit.

1.Me!Your barrel is probably clean,just wash it with water and a degreaser.If it's starts to rust you're good to go!

2.Opened mine with a jigsaw,if your dome fits perfect on the lip of the barrel keep in mind to cut the INSIDE of the lip.

Good luck!
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker