I do notice that when building a UDS and the builder deviates from the tried and true K.I.S.S. method that this is when the trouble starts. I always advise if you possibly can to build a simple K.I.S.S. UDS and then build a second one if you want to experiment. Makes life and cooking so much more fun when your not fighting your cooker. I'm on # 11 and don't have any issues because I follow this.

I am planning on a pretty standard build, only slight difference is how I handle the lid. Since this will live outside, I am reluctant to drill 8 holes around the edge of the lid because it'll just fill up with rainwater. I know I could get a cover but since these things stay hot for so long afterwards, I expect it'll get rained on before I can get a cover on. Also, I've been known to grill in the rain.

So the side exhaust is interesting for my needs, and I can imagine the benefits, but I think I'm going to cut a 2" hole in the lid, opposite side form the ball valve intake, and then use a short stack with a threaded cap to seal things up.

So otherwise, I think it'll be a pretty conventional build.

Ive only found one place around me that sales drums. Is $45 to high for a reconditioned unlined drum?

I used 8-1/2" pipe nipples and caps on mine. It also helps with better heat distribution

I am planning on a pretty standard build, only slight difference is how I handle the lid. Since this will live outside, I am reluctant to drill 8 holes around the edge of the lid because it'll just fill up with rainwater.

UDS Webber lid mod issues

I have lurked on this sight for many months, and now love my UDS. I am able to hold temps at 180 or 250 for an eternity, with the flat lid with 8 holes in it for exhaust. Thanks to y'all for the insights.

My problem is that I recently found a Webber grill lid and had to bend the rim out to fit on my UDS. I was not happy with the loose fit, so I picked up a length of 5/8 inch flat fireproof gasket from the local fireplace store, and attached it with hi-temp silicone.

I did a chucky on it yesterday and could not get the temps below 280 yikes! It was windy in Wisconsin, but what gives? Interestingly. I blocked all bottom air holes and went in the house, and when I came out hours later it was still going pretty strong. Is the gasket material the wrong tool for the job, and is it just breathing air in. I intend to use a large soup can for an exhaust stack to see if that helps.

I need to do 60 lbs of pork shoulder later this week, and really really need the second grate and the domed lid. Who can offer some sage advice to a greenhorn?

Thanks

Sounds like a air leak is most definitely taking place...With the lid on and some decent smoke going seems like you should be able to see where smoke is coming out.Could be wrong in my thinking...

brickie

My UDS had it's first cook yesterday, What an impressive success, thanks to this Forum and all the tips and advice from everyone here, She held temp perfectly from 10:00am for an easy 10 hours when we ate everything, so I closed off the main intake and shut the exhaust to smother her, She could easily have smoked all night long, I'm sure. I'd have got 24 hours no problem, I initially loaded her with 5kg lumpwood charcoal and 1 piece of hard wood for smoke minion method, had a look this morning now it's cold and its not even used half the fuel or burnt all the piece of wood, I had her smoking away at 225-275 all day yesterday, My neighbours are all curious and asking what I've been up to, Smoking isn't common here in UK, everyone grills on an open bbq grill so my facebook album of the build is getting a lot of comments lol Cooked a bunch of sausages, A Fatty, Pork Rolls & lamb ribs. Definitely going to try bigger things next time, She peaked to 300 when I basted/turned the food but only for 10 mins and she settles back down to temp by herself, I wouldn't change a thing at the moment, apart from fitting a bottle opener :-D I opened a couple of intakes just to experiment and she soared to 375 easily so closed it down before my ribs got too crispy back to 250F. I'm more than happy with the build. Thanks again to everyone here that gave advice. Before I lit her I also shortened the 2" bung hole exhaust down to 4" above the flat lid with just 2" below, works perfectly. :wink:

Iam with BigG did my first Burn on uds and was total success i just made a basic uds as i dont weld i used coal pan from a pro q excel20 as expanded metal in uk is not cheap and u have to buy big sheets.anyways did babyback 4 hrs unfoiled and they were Great

my Basic uds will mod a bit
20120303_151300600x800.jpg

first cook this is after bbq glaze and 4hr cook at 225-250

20120311_162542.jpg

I am planning on a pretty standard build, only slight difference is how I handle the lid. Since this will live outside, I am reluctant to drill 8 holes around the edge of the lid because it'll just fill up with rainwater. I know I could get a cover but since these things stay hot for so long afterwards, I expect it'll get rained on before I can get a cover on. Also, I've been known to grill in the rain.

So the side exhaust is interesting for my needs, and I can imagine the benefits, but I think I'm going to cut a 2" hole in the lid, opposite side form the ball valve intake, and then use a short stack with a threaded cap to seal things up.

So otherwise, I think it'll be a pretty conventional build.

Make sure you weld or otherwise seal the stack to the lid. Saturday morning I found out the hard way that my cover has a hole in it. Had a half basket full of mush and an inch of water in the drum. It leaked in around the lock nut that holds the stack on.

Make sure you weld or otherwise seal the stack to the lid. Saturday morning I found out the hard way that my cover has a hole in it. Had a half basket full of mush and an inch of water in the drum. It leaked in around the lock nut that holds the stack on.

Thanks for the advice, will do!

Heres my UDS. Has a new temp gauge now. Lid is a perfect fit from a cheap dollar store 22" grill. No leaks at all and didn't have to modify either.

Attachments

• uds.jpg
    uds.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 876
Okay, I've read enough for my eyes to cross. Do any of you use water basins in your drums? Or, do you just rely on the fat drippings for moisture?

Some do; most don't. The fat dripping on the fire below adds its own flavor profile, which some folks don't care for. Try it both ways to see what you prefer. I don't use a drip pan or water pan unless I catch the drippings for gravy. When I do a turkey, I put a drip pan on the rack below it, and prime it with some water so the first drippings don't burn up. The resulting drippings get used as a base for gravy- rich, smoky gravy! Otherwise, I don't use anything.

lid

Hey everyone. I am building my UDS like a lot of others on this thread. My drum is about ready but my lid has no holes. I am wondering what others have found works the best. I see that many just drill several holes in the lid that remain open all the time, but does this hurt your abitlity to control temps? Is it better the fabricate openings that can be open or closed depending on conditions? just looking for $.02 Thanks
-Jim

I drilled eight 3/4" holes evenly spaced about 2.5-3" in from the lid edge. You control your temps via the fresh air intake, not the exhaust. I've enlarged them to 3/4" since I took this picture; they were probably 1/2" originally.

Attachments

• UDS Lid.jpg
    UDS Lid.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,018
@alantx: Any issue with extinguishing the coals? Or just closing the intakes takes care of it?

I haven't had any issues, although I did pick up some corks from my local home brew supply store and plug the holes with them. I guess you could use magnets or whatever may be handy, but it may not be necessary at all considering that hot air rises(which should keep any fresh(cooler) air from entering from the lid).

Back