MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #346
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Test 2 - Comp network

As i suspected, this was a complete failure. Here is the setup.

Linksys WRT54G, no internet connection.

CyberQ connected to the Linksys wifi, IP 192.168.1.101

iPhone connected to the Linksys wifi.

I can access the CyberQ via Safari Mobile at 192.168.1.101

I cannot log into BBQ Remote since I do not have an internet connection. It will time out after about a minute with an error message "cannot connect to server" and show me the home screen. I tried to configure the CyberQ wifi settings as follows...

External IP address: 192.168.1.101
Static IP Address: 192.168.1.101
HTTP Username: blank
HTTP Password: blank
HTTP Port: 80

When I hit Test Wifi Setting it collects data for a couple of minutes and then I get an Alert: database could not be updated. When I tap OK it shows the collecting data screen until I get tired of it and kill the BBQ remote process.

So, it seems to me that right now the app will not work without an internet connection. I may be in the minority in wanted it to work this way, but for competitions I will not have an internet connection to my wireless router.

The next test will be ad hoc mode.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #347
Ron_L

Test 3 - Ad Hoc Mode

CyberQ set to ad hoc mode, IP address 192.168.101.10

iPhone connected to My CyberQ Wifi

I can access the CyberQ via Safari at 192.168.101.10

BBQ Remote results identical to test 2.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Old 06-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #348
appdesigngeeks
Got Wood.

Ron,

Let me start by saying thanks for downloading providing feedback.

As I stated previously on this forum that you will need a one time network connection to login. I never said we would change this :)

Did you read of the other recent post by us? I clearly stated that there were known bugs that we have already fixed and waiting for Apples approval on the next version. We even provided a link to the list of bugs so people could see that we are already aware.

I believe 99% of your issues have been already addressed and reading our previous post you would have saved yourself alot of typing :)

Stream - is only as new as its most recent post. So for example if no one has posted anything in a few day then that means the latest post is going to be a few days old.

Stats screen will always update when it gets a current reading

I dont understand why you call test 2 complete failure? It seems from your post that you where successfully collecting data. You might have got the cannot connect to database error on accident as we where uploading some updated pages to the backend server.

And Test 3 sounds like you are able to collect data still??

Once again we have previously stated that you will need a 1 time connection to login into the app. This has nothing to do with you connecting to the Wifi Guru.

I would suggest waiting until the next version is approved because all of your stated issues have been resolved EXCEPT the one requiring Zero Internet connectivity.

Thanks for testing
AppDesignGeeks
appdesigngeeks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #349
appdesigngeeks
Got Wood.

Hi All,

BBQ Remote App for Android has now been published to the Google Play App Store and should be available for download within the next 24 hours.

Thanks
AppDesignGeeks

Old 06-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #350
bbqstork
Found some matches.

Here's the thing that stops me from going further with this app. It requires that I give an unknown person my IP address and a login to a device within my network. Yeah...not gonna happen. You may have good intentions here, but there is zero reason for this information to be provided to you. Pit Pal doesn't ask for this, why do you?
bbqstork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #351
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by appdesigngeeks View Post

Stats screen will always update when it gets a current reading
It doesn't. the only time it updated was when I went into the settings and back out.

Quote:

I dont understand why you call test 2 complete failure? It seems from your post that you where successfully collecting data. You might have got the cannot connect to database error on accident as we where uploading some updated pages to the backend server.

And Test 3 sounds like you are able to collect data still??
Sorry if I confused you. in both 2 and three when I tapped on Test Wifi Settings I saw the Collecting Data screen (the one with the cute saying on it that I've forgotten) for a few seconds and then receive the database connection error. After tapping OK on the error message I again saw the collecting data screen and the only way to get rid of that was to kill the BBQ Remote process. I never saw a message letting me know that the connection was successful and never saw the home screen or any temp data, etc. from the CyberQ.

Quote:

Once again we have previously stated that you will need a 1 time connection to login into the app. This has nothing to do with you connecting to the Wifi Guru.
Can you clarify what one time means. is that one time, period, or is it one time per session? i did register and log in with an internet connection. that was test 1. But with test two and three I did not have an internet connection. BUT, I had already logged in one time.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Old 06-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #352
appdesigngeeks
Got Wood.

Hi BBQStork,

We currently have the configuration web page for convenience so that you can test your setup before using the app. Currently all the information you enter is encrypted and stored securely in the database and allows you to setup this information once and use it from multiple devices by logging in with your email address and dont have to reenter that information.

We also have a privacy policy link you can read through on the login page of the app. The next version will give you the option to store the connection at the app level.

Thanks
AppDesignGeeks

Old 06-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #353
imott
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Hi All,

BBQ Remote App for Android has now been published to the Google Play App Store and should be available for download within the next 24 hours.

Thanks
AppDesignGeeks
Can't install on my Nexus 7. Play Store says "This app is incompatible with your Nexus 7"
imott is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #354
bbqstork
Found some matches.

Privacy policy or not, there is no reason to have to provide you with a users IP address and the login/password for a device on their network. I caution anyone to reconsider using the application while this is required.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #355
TheJackal
Full Fledged Farker

NOTE: If you are mid-cook and pretty sauced, don't bother trying to set this up. Wait for the next one.
TheJackal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #356
appdesigngeeks
Got Wood.

Hi Ron,

Providing some screen shots of the errors that you are receiving will go along way.

Once again complaining about errors that have already been fixed is not going to speed anything up with apple.

Let me try and clarify, 1. If you log into the app you WILL need a connection to verify your user information. 2. If you save anything on settings you WILL need a connection to the Internet. 3. If you save any notes you WILL need and internet connection. 4. If you post anything to the stream you Will need an internet connection.

Thanks
AppDesignGeeks

Old 06-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #357
Ron_L

Quote:
Once again complaining about errors that have already been fixed is not going to speed anything up with apple.
Wow... I'm sorry that you feel that I am complaining. I was just trying to verify that the app will meet my needs. At this point I don't care any more. I don't see how anything I post here will affect anything at Apple.

Please delete my account information from your database. I won't be using your app.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Old 06-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #358
cooldude24
Found some matches.

Hi AppDesignGeeks,

Just downloaded the Android version and it is working great!!! If I have any issues with the first version I will post some screenshots of any errors/issues.

BBQStork,

Agreed that storing the information is not 100% necessary but I have both IOS and Android devices and having a single sign-on is useful. :)

But warning everyone to reconsider is a little strong. Thats like telling people to not use paypal because they store your bank account information.

Maybe in the next version they can give users the options to either store the information on the database or have it stored only on the app.

Downloading the iPhone version tonight to give it a shot, cant wait for the next version.

BBQ ON!!!!!!!!!!
cooldude24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #359
bbqstork
Found some matches.

Cooldude24- appreciate the comparison to PayPal which is why I only give them my CC ($50 liability limit). I would ask you to consider this. Give me your IP address, and an ID and password to a device inside your home and it opens a door for me to access any device on your home network and take whatever information I want. Not saying that's what these guys are trying to do, but it opens a big whole for one unscrupulous person. It really sucks because I liked the layout of the app. Just don't like the sharing of that kind of information.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #360
bbqstork
Found some matches.

Ron- if you have an Android, check out Pit Pal. They're working on an IOS version if iPhone is what you have. An I agree, if you want people to use the app, a little more of a "customer support" attitude isn't uncalled for.