MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:18 PM   #31
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

The Weber Kettle Appreciation Thread is off to a good start. Great stuff..

Only 1,223 posts to go and we catch up with the Ugly Drum Smoker thread....

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2008, 10:49 PM   #32
Lowbrass
Knows what a fatty is.

I have 3 - 22 1/2ers now. The first is a bar b kettle which I paid $20 on CL for (EZ 1998 ). That is the one that has been used the most. The second is a OTS I got for free (DA 2001). It is a piece though. Don't know what I am going to do with it. I might donate or trade it to someone in St. Louis looking to build an UDS (I only have the lid and kettle, got rid of everything else, like I said this thing is a POS). The third one I rescued out of the trash tonight. It is a yellow bar b kettle (D 1982). Someone tried to spraypaint it black so I will need to get that off (any suggestions???). Once cleaned up, this will be my keeper. I will then use the original mentioned above to make my UDS with as I only need 1 kettle.

22 1/2" Weber Kettle (For taste)

18" WSM w/ Guru Eyelets, Mid Section Handle Mod, Casters Mod and Tel-Tru BQ300. (For Heaven)
Lowbrass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2008, 04:07 AM   #33
swamprb

Default Painting Kettles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
swamprb, how do you prep yer kettles and what paint and how does it work with high heat ?? winemaster, you sure don't look 40 !
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...41&postcount=1

I mask the rust spots off and just paint the chipped ceramic areas and try to blend it in, it won't be perfect, but from a distance you can't tell. I don't know why, but it seems the Red ones get beat up more than any Black kettle I've had. The Reds shine up pretty good with fine steel wool and if you really want it to shine I buff them with Meguiars Sealer/Glaze.
Dupli-Color Engine Red is a pretty good match.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2008, 09:59 AM   #34
MTHank
Full Fledged Farker

I learned on a Webber Kettle more years ago than I would like to admit

I have two 22 1/2" er's now... One dated "B" (was going to be a UDS) and the other dated "DI" (a Gold series). I bought them both new but about 25 or 30 years apart. I also had a spare lid given to me with no date code... "UDS" mod. Saved the "B" from becoming a "UDS" for now anyway.

Rescued two Smokie Joes from "Freecycle" One dated "DH" and the other is dated "DD"... "DD" is going to be used for a mini UDS. The "DH" was "NEW", well it was used 2 times... New enough for me. I use it for grilling a couple of times a week, just my wife and I, no need to fire up the 22 1/2er's after work just for a burger or steak

Not sure why I need two of each I just need more time to used them maybe

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Weber Kettle Gold – 22 ½”[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]22 1/2" UDS[/FONT] (aka 55 gal)
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Smokie Joe[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]The stone age did not end because we ran out of stones[/FONT]
MTHank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #35
smokeandbeer
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8man View Post
His is a Good Solid Design and Build, unlike my Mods, which required a lot of Hacksawing, Hammering, BlackSmithing, and Swearing...
Thanks for the props. The Bride design was pretty simplistic, but the results were so good that I only use those to smoke on now. They ain't pretty but they were easy to build and work great.
smokeandbeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2008, 04:07 PM   #36
N8man
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeandbeer View Post
Thanks for the props. The Bride design was pretty simplistic, but the results were so good that I only use those to smoke on now. They ain't pretty but they were easy to build and work great.
I just call 'em like I see 'em..

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2008, 03:33 PM   #37
smokeandbeer
Take a breath!

WEBER RESCUE ALERT!

I am going tomorrow to rescue a 22.5 OTS and Smokey Joe Gold. $25 for the pair on CL. Will report back after I get them home.
smokeandbeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2008, 03:37 PM   #38
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

No mods on any of mine other than adding a stoker to 2 of my wsms
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2008, 05:35 PM   #39
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

I have had a 22 1/2 inch Weber Kettle non stop since 1979 when I was 19. I think I have bought a total of three during that time. I have rescued a bunch and given them to friends and family.

My favorite mod is to raise the fire grate so that it is about 3 inches under the cooking grate for steaks.

I am also really excited about my SJP with the JD McGee mod. It is a little cooking machine!!!

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:39 PM   #40
Brian in So Cal
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8man View Post
Made a Smoker out of my 18 incher

No way man, That is super cool!!!

Blast Off BBQ, Brian K

As a matter of fact I am a rocket scientist!

Just call me Dad.
Brian in So Cal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2008, 07:42 PM   #41
Brian in So Cal
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
I was never really into Weber kettles until i saw a Yellow Homer Simpson 22.5" on craigslist for $20. I thought it was one fugly grill! I posted it on the WSM board and people started responding about how rare they were, it was gone by the time I replied, but someone off the site got it. Then someone was lamenting the fact that Weber should not have discontinued the Red Kettles-sometimes these are a dime a dozen around here. So I started picking them up. I'm partial to the Reds and I've flipped a few, had a Green for about an hour and sold it and I'm rebuilding a Genesis gasser with a Blue lid to match a Master-Touch to take to my Moms house. Free to cheep is how I roll with them.

Sometimes they need a little attention and paint

Blue Master-Touch w/rotis ring

Rescued during the Winter months.
Yellow Bar-B-Kettle with no date stamp.

What to do with the stray kettle that you used the lid for a UDS???
Weber Redneck firepit!

It all tastes better on a RED Weber!
Brian I need to come visit you some day and see your BBQ stash!!!

Blast Off BBQ, Brian K

As a matter of fact I am a rocket scientist!

Just call me Dad.
Brian in So Cal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2008, 08:38 PM   #42
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

You have a nice collection. Very impressive
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2008, 09:04 PM   #43
snoqualmiesmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Growing up we had a kettle. Many a great meal was made on that old kettle. My dad, who passed this last month, would man that grill with an enthusiasm I had never seen as a child. I learned my chops on that old grill. He would cook BBQ chicken that was out of this world. He would oil the chicken and put them on the grill. Then he would constantly butter them and duck as the smoke would engulf the deck. As he got older he gave up on the kettle and gave it to my brother in law.

My Brother in law had to let go of my fathers weber just this last month, as rust took its toll. it was beyond saving. It served us for well over 30 years. It was replaced with, you guessed it, a weber kettle.

My Blue 22.5 was rescued about 6 years ago. I saw it sitting on the side of the road, with a missing bolt on the leg. The sign said free to good home, so in the back of my delivery truck it went. It was in perfect condition, but did fall over and dent the lid slightly. It sits in the backyard and does its duty with no muss, no fuss. Every one knows I mean business when I get out the weber.

I also have my weber genesis for those quick grills. But lets not talk about that.
STOKER 2
STOKER WHITEBOX
OKLAHOMA JOE LONGHORN
STUMPS PLATINUM
SUPERIOR SS1
[url]jjbbqcompany.com[/url]
snoqualmiesmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2008, 10:51 PM   #44
blues brother
Full Fledged Farker

Bought my first kettle about 10 years ago after several propane(aaauuuuggghh!!!) grills burnt out(the last one was a webber that I have re-built twice). Bought a back up webber kettle( both are 22.5") last year. Also bought a smokey joe 18"(dont like it much). Cussed out my best friend for trashing a 22.5 cause the grates were shot(what a dumb a$$)
LOVE MY KETTLES!!

Love the thread!
1 GF223 Stump Smoker
1 250 gal propane tank cooker(trailer mounted)
1 UDS to be...soon
1 Traeger

NEVER TRUST A SKINNY COOK!
blues brother is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2008, 12:40 AM   #45
Single Fin Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

Cooked a few sausages, couple a spatchcock chicks and some artichokes tonite for one of my opposing little league coaches tonite, using nothing but soaked staters hickory chips and two week old recycled charcoal out of my uds.
The Weber 22.5 is king!
WSM
Webber Kettle
True stainless kegerator w/cheap 1/2 barrel
10'6 EC single fin
10' Minchington 2-1 set up
Single Fin Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appreciation threads, kettle, Weber, weber kettle, weber kettle methods, weber kettle mods