MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #1
Debmar
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : shoe
Unhappy Rookie Smoker Recipe? I need a home run here

Well I have about a smoke and 1/2 under my belt here. First was my UDS type drum smokers seasoning smoke which we threw some crappy store bought burgers on after a few hours of run time and pulled them off based on IT. Considering the quality of the burgers it actually was not bad. My youngest son declared them the best burgers he'd ever had but we question his judgement at the best of times. But regardless it was a small victory.

So.....then I decided for cook # 2 that I would go for the grand slam and bring the whole family to tears of joy with the quality of the BBQ. Dug some Beef Ribs out of the freezer and on they went. Well there was tears alright. but not in a good way. Not Good. Lots went wrong.

You see my family other than myself and maybe one of my daughters are food cowards. They don't trust much that is different or new to them and smoking is very new to us. So as I see it I probably have one more chance here before the smoking food door is closed forever for some of them.

I need something that I can for sure pull off successfully and re open that door in their heads. What should my next attempt be. What cut of meat, what recipe, any advice appreciated greatly.

Thanks
Debmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2018, 02:52 PM   #2
Joshw
is Blowin Smoke!

I would say Boston Butt(pulled pork), is about as no fail as you can get, in the bbq world.
Joshw is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:03 PM   #3
KClandcruiser
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
I would say Boston Butt(pulled pork), is about as no fail as you can get, in the bbq world.

Yup, I totally agree on smoking a butt. Hard to mess up and not nearly as out of the norm as beef ribs. Just be sure that you have a nice thin blue smoke before putting it on and let it ride until an internal temp of 195-203
KClandcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2018, 03:11 PM   #4
upStomp
Full Fledged Farker

3rded. Boston Butt is very forgiving.

BBQ Brethren 2018 Tri-Tip Master!!!
upStomp is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2018, 03:14 PM   #5
AussieMatt
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Matt

Yep, get some pork on your fork.

Weber Original 22" - RIP
UDS
Fiskgriddle
Weber Kettle Premium - Copper
AussieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2018, 03:16 PM   #6
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd go with something they already like. Meatloaf, chicken, things like that. The UDS is basically an outdoor oven with the lid on, maybe that will help.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #7
jermoQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Jermo/Jeremy

#1 good bbq is a skill and might take time
#2 what was your failed problems? We might be able to aid a little better if you give details.
#3 beef ribs need to be cooked for quite a while to be awesome
#4 SEE #1

I think that any of the above ideas, including your favorite meatloaf recipe cooked at 300* to the internal temp of 160, and pork butt cooked to around 200* are good plans. If you want fancy, you can follow the steps to make a fatty, stuffed with some cheese and make it simple. Smoke to internal temp of 160. oh, and good bbq might take some time. Read up around here, listen to ideas, and be patient.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:32 PM   #8
EdF
is One Chatty Farker

A nice chicken, smoked lightly at 325-350F is an easy introduction. Will also second the meatloaf, baked at the same temp as inside, but with some smoke added.

And their helpers.
EdF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2018, 04:40 PM   #9
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Not sure how you can screw up some chicken. Learn to walk before you run.
Rockinar is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2018, 04:49 PM   #10
BuffettFan
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Terry

Agree with all above, but would interject that chicken can get overly smoked, IMO.
I say that because I have done it. Now I know better. I kept trying till I got better.
I've been smoking for ~20 years and I'm still learning with every cook and can't begin to list everything I've learned from this forum in the last 6 months or so.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:15 PM   #11
LYU370
Babbling Farker

Smoked meatloaf. Once you have it smoked, you'll never want it out of the oven again.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Saber 500 Gasser
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-11-2018, 05:19 PM   #12
mjpmap
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

don’t worry about the fails. As long as you cook, you’ll have them. The important thing is that you figure out what went wrong and go at it again. One way of “curing” the family taste issue is to involve them. Let the kids get involved in the prep, whether it be doing the rub, spice mix, etc. The more they are vested, the more likely they’ll enjoy what they helped to make.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 12-11-2018, 06:56 PM   #13
Smoking Piney
Babbling Farker

A vote for a Boston butt here - VERY forgiving meat, can go low and slow or hot and fast. Just cook to around 200 to 205 IT and (most important) it probes tender all around with some wiggle in the bone. Wrap, rest for a bit, and pull it apart. One 10 pound butt will feed lots of hungry folks.

Pulled pork is a proven crowd pleaser.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2018, 06:57 PM   #14
Smoking Piney
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpmap View Post
don’t worry about the fails. As long as you cook, you’ll have them. The important thing is that you figure out what went wrong and go at it again. One way of “curing” the family taste issue is to involve them. Let the kids get involved in the prep, whether it be doing the rub, spice mix, etc. The more they are vested, the more likely they’ll enjoy what they helped to make.
Awesome post, mjp, and great advice!

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-11-2018, 07:05 PM   #15
BKING!
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

I may be in the minority here but since your cooker is a uds I probably wouldn’t do pork butt and do chicken breast with lump charcoal only. I’d ease them in with the bbq flavor and with all that pork fat you are getting a ton of grease smoke. Chicken breast and lump only will give them light bbq flavor especially for people that aren’t used to bbq