Venison chili receipe?

SLCMACK

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
With the weather turning colder, I'm wanting some good chili. I was given a bunch of ground venison and was hoping someone could share a good receipe. Thanks Brethren

Oakridge BBQ's Venison Chili

Here's my recipe that I've used for years. It's very popular with even the "non-venison" eating crowd...

Ingredients
  • 3 lbs. lean ground venison, browned, drained and rinsed
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2 Pablano peppers, diced
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 2-3 medium cloves garlic, minced or pressed through a garlic press
  • 2 cans Brooks (or Bush's) chili beans
  • 2 cans plain diced tomatoes
  • 1 can Rotell
  • 1-2 cans Tomato puree (NOT tomato sauce)
  • 9-12 Tbsp William's Chili Seasoning

Process
  • Brown ground venison in the bottom of your chili pot. Once browned, remove from pot to a large strainer. Rinse with hot water and let drain.
  • While browned venision is draining, add a couple teaspoons of EVOO to bottom of your pot then add diced onion, diced peppers and garlic.
  • Sautee onions, peppers and garlic till they begin to soften up.
  • Then, add browned, rinsed and drained venison back to pot and stir.
  • Now, add the chili seasoning and stir to fully mix with items in pot.
  • Then, add the canned ingredients to pot and stir.
  • Set stove to med-low, cover pot and allow to simmer for at least one hour. Stir frequently to prevent any scorching on the bottom.

Last edited:
First post, greetings.

Had to comment as I made a big pot of Venison chili on Sunday. My recipe is very similar to Mikes except for the following.

I add a half pound of Ground Chuck to the venison, mostly for fat purposes. Once I’ve got a good brown color I drain the fat off and add fresh diced garlic and a small can of diced jalapenos. I let this go for a bit then remove from heat.

On the beans I get just red or pinto beans, canned, and I rinse all the packing juice out of it. Those chili beans are high in sodium and I really watch that.

I also do the canned tomatoes but mix this up with whole stewed tomatoes. On the tomato paste, I will make a small cup of warm water and add the paste to the cup to dilute and add to the chili in small portions at the end. I’ve found you can drift into too much tomato if not careful. I also keep mesa flour handy to thicken the chili as needed.

I get great heat from the added jalapenos but its not overwhelming. I don’t add any red pepper.

Finally and most importantly, pour a whole can of the beer into the pot as a sacrifice to the chili gods.

Good luck...

Hey Mike I have about 6 pounds of 70/30 ground venison/pork sausage mix. Will that be a good combination for that chili?

Also, we don't have access to Williams brand chili seasoning so I will be using Mexene, you think this will still make a good final product?

i brown and drain the venison add minced garlic and onion and chili seasoning. i use crushed tomatoes as i have found to be the perfect consistensy. then i go south west and add black beans (drained) and corn that i grilled shucked and taken off the cobb.a guinness beer goes in with a little waterstir and put the lid on to cook at a simmer for a little bit. thicken with masa flour and serve with tortilla chips.

Thanks everyone for the replys, I will be doing some up this weekend.

Hey Mike I have about 6 pounds of 70/30 ground venison/pork sausage mix. Will that be a good combination for that chili?

Also, we don't have access to Williams brand chili seasoning so I will be using Mexene, you think this will still make a good final product?

Sure. Mexene is very close to Williams, it's just a tad bit shy on cumin and mexican oregano compared to Williams. :thumb:

Back