Slather questions

BriGreentea

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I usually use a mustard slather for all my bbq but since I recently went to simple salt and pepper in a shaker I'm wondering does the seasoning I put on top of the slather penetrate the meat at all or when the slather breaks down and gets burnt does the seasoning get burned on the top layer only?

I tried a brisket with 50/50 kosher salt and course pepper with nothing else and was quite good, though using sugar based and other commercial rubs with the mustard had a great soft bark and underneath seemed to be more tender, less firm.

I was thinking about my next one trying sour cream and see what that does. Is this a huge gamble or should I just scrap slather altogether?

OH NO....I sense that soon someone will say that nasty 4 letter word....

mayo....

I personally never use a slather of any kind....occasionally i will use olive oil...but thats IT.

lots of things can be used effectively as a slather......including mayo.

I dont buy into the idea of it making rub stick. a slather is good to hydrate rub and to add a layer of flavor.

aside from mayo try hot sauce, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, oil

sometimes I use a slather, never is it mustard

Everyone's taste buds are different. It doesn't hurt to experiment til you find something you like. I don't always use a slather, but when I do , I go with bacon drippin's.

When did you live at my mom’s house? I don’t remember seeing you there...

God also uses bacon drippins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I used to use mustard or hot sauce, now I don't use anything, living in humid FL the cold meat sweats and the Rub sticks just fine.

Everyone's taste buds are different. It doesn't hurt to experiment til you find something you like. I don't always use a slather, but when I do , I go with bacon drippin's.

Yes, but that isn't just a slather. That is pure culinary genius.

:mrgreen:

I never found any benefit to using a slather. I put the rub on, pat it into the meat, and then let it "sweat" for about 15-20 minutes. As long as you trim off all the surface fat the rub will stick on perfectly and give you a nice bark.

I have tried mustard, olive oil, peanut oil, Worcestershire, and never noticed a single bit of difference in bark or taste. Seems like it's yet another "BBQ Myth" that needs to be busted.

Tests were done by someone on this forum and plain ol veg oil worked the best to adhere a dry rub, and produced a more defined smoke ring. I think mayo and mustard had the least defined smoke ring.

Depends on if you believe components of spices and herbs are fat/water/alcohol-soluble. And if that solubility helps to produce more - or better - flavor. Or maybe just the heat of cooking matters in releasing the flavors. Or a combination.

Or . . . flizzum flazzum on the flizzum flop, try jello pudding pops.

I normally do a light coating of olive oil. I happen to think most spices are fat soluble and it does indeed help a rub stick to the meat if you were just planning to sprinkle it on dry meat and the flip the meat to apply to opposite sides.

:laugh: Must be an Okie thing. :becky:

Nope not an Okie thing but a country thing for sure. I have two pints setting beside my stove and use it for lots of things including slathering pork with it before the seasoning. Really good when it comes off home grown cured bacon.

I’ve used mustard, olive oil, water, and nothing at all. No difference from one to the next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back