Thursday Night Smoke

BrandonBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well the Bears aren't playing, but that's no reason we cant still smoke on football night!

CLE (-3) vs NYJ

This may be the first time I've seen Cleveland favored in probably 3 years. They've covered the last 2 weeks as well so I'm rolling with them in my Pick'em.

Will be smoking a whole chicken tonight. I have stuff to make a fatty too so I might end up throwing that on too.

Brine -- water, sugar, salt, gluten free soy sauce (my wife has Celiacs so all of my cooks will be GF!). Should have about 4 hours in the fridge before I throw it on.

Cook -- shooting for 275 for about 3-4 hours. Will be the first time using the Basques lump. Wife said hickory or pecan smoke tonight.. any suggestions?
d66117229e4f9c7343ff6195c781b5c4.jpg
8ea0e1be2b62ccbe82cd7df5664b7dce.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

They're going to the Super Bowl ya know.

Seriously though, that brine sounds good. I vote Pecan.

Hopefully the bird comes out nice and you lose your bet! At least dinner will be nice!!! Let's go Jets!!

She's rollin.

The rub is a blend called "Butter Garlic" from one of the best meat shops in the midwest IMO. Jamison's in Fort Wayne.

Definitely think I need the gasket upgrade and could probably use the door as well.

7a25a757485bce4929655d259c2a174f.jpg

You don't need the gasket. You just need to get it dirty enough to seal better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You don't need the gasket. You just need to get it dirty enough to seal better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thought about that too. This thing is pretty much solid as it is with this DigiQ.

Here's the bird so far [emoji1786]

18a0e3d221eaf2ecd965cc1a7c5106e7.jpg

Well definitely my first mess up. Left it on for too long and kept changing the temp between 225-290 to try and time it.

Next time, 250 is the set point and we will see how long it takes.

The meat actually ended up tasting pretty good, but wayyyyy too much hickory smoke chips and heat fluctuations.

Failure is inevitable sometimes.

Last edited:
Back