Lighting up a Charcoal chimney for UDS

BigButzBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm sure that more than half of us well understand the workings of a charcoal chimney and how to light one. You may have even developed your own methods for doing so unlike any other but, there are some who might not have any idea and feel a bit too embarassed to actually ask. I can remember being there at one time myself. So, I've come up with this picture tutorial on getting a charcoal chimney lit and ready for use with a UDS.

Step 1:
Take one paper towel and pour about a Tablespoon of cooking oil onto it, then wrap it loosely with a second paper towel and place where you intend to set your chimney to light it.
1005101012.jpg

Step 2:
Place chimney on top of the paper towels. I like to use my small grill for lighting my chimney on because it allows for good air flow and doesn't cause scorch marks on anything.
mms_picture-13.jpg

Step 3:
Add charcoal to the chimney, I usually will only fill up the chimney about half way. The truth is you can light a UDS with anywhere from a couple lit pieces of charcoal all the way up to a heaping ton but, if you use alot, it's hard to control and if you use too little, the charcoal might not burn evenly or may take forever to get up to your desired temp. If just starting out, I recomend the half load, you can always go bigger or smaller with future lightings.
mms_picture-12.jpg

Step 4:
Set the paper towels on fire. I normally I will try to light the paper towel from 2 sides to insure even burning.
mms_picture-11.jpg

Step 5:
Let it burn. The paper towel may seem like it is going to burn up very quickly at first but, if you wait a minute you will see that that the oil gives the paper towel a slow burning candle effect.
mms_picture-10.jpg

Step 6:
Wait until the smoke goes away before dumping the charcoal into your UDS. The charcoal will smoke for a good 10-20 minutes.
mms_picture-9.jpg

Step 7:
Once the smoke has died down and you can clearly see the heat coming off the charcoal it is ready to dump into the charcoal basket of your UDS.
mms_picture-7.jpg

All that is left is waiting for your UDS to come up to temp.

Hope this has helped out a couple of people out there. Thanks for looking.

I remember the first few times I used my chimney. I was so methodical of rolling 4 pieces of newspaper in perfect diameters around the inside in concentric rings. Then one day I said the heck with it.. and tried something similar to your style with a little oil. Never rolled newspaper in a circle again!

I put the chimney on the 160k btu burner on the pit and gas it. Starts in 30 seconds. :)

Good info there. Thanks for taking the time. It sure was dang a mystery to me. I would fill 'er up!

Nice tutorial.

Chimneys work nicely, but I've gotten lazy and started using the Weber cubes. They light VERY easily and are super simple (no chimney required)

I think I pay about $3.50 for a standard pack of 24 (not free, but it ain't gonna break the bank and I don't have to fuss with the paper, oil, chimney, transferring the coals, etc.)

I have a ghetto chimney in that I took a 32 oz tin can and drilled 4 1" holes at the bottom. I put one crumpled paper towel with a tablespoon of cooking oil in the bottom then place charcoal on top of that and light the paper towel through the holes at the bottom.

It takes maybe 10 minutes to light up all the charcoal enough to place in my basket.

I'M in the process of building a uds. Can I just put the coal or wood in the bottom of the barrel in the basket and then light it or do u have to use a chimney?

I'M in the process of building a uds. Can I just put the coal or wood in the bottom of the barrel in the basket and then light it or do u have to use a chimney?

I've read where some people use a weed burner to start the charcoal pile. Fire starter sticks is what I started with but my ghetto chimney works better.

So just light it in the chimney and pour it in the basket and then pile the rest of the kingsford on top of it???

So just light it in the chimney and pour it in the basket and then pile the rest of the kingsford on top of it???

The fire starts at the top and burns down. Charcoal in the basket first and put the lit coals on top.

Search the forum for the "Minion method" it works very well for starting a cook on a UDS.

I'm still experimenting with lighting my UDS, so that was helpful. I got those steps down, I think. But, I'm still trying to figure out when to add the wood, how much wood to add, and how much to let it burn before putting the lid on.

You don't have to use a chimney but, the idea behind the UDS is that it is a fuel miser. You don't want to start a fire in it that will cause all your coals to catch at the same time. I originally would start my UDS by putting a layer of coals down and starting a fire then would pile on coals on top of that once the original layer had started to gray, I found this worked pretty good but, the burn was a little uneven at times. Like someone mentioned, the minion method is the one I spoke of where you would load your charcoal basket in your UDS and then add the hot coals from your chimney to it. Some people will also use a torch to start a small amount of coals on the top of the basket on fire and this works but, you have to be careful as your torch may burn down farther than you think. Also the use of fire starts can be used. The idea is to create a concentrated hot spot that will slowly burn through the fuel.

I'm still experimenting with lighting my UDS, so that was helpful. I got those steps down, I think. But, I'm still trying to figure out when to add the wood, how much wood to add, and how much to let it burn before putting the lid on.
Part of the wood ratio is dependent upon the size of your charcoal basket but, usually a couple hand fulls of chips mixed in with the charcoal or a couple of fist sized chunks is enough. I sometimes will throw a hand full of chips on just before putting the meat on. Normally my procedure goes, load basket, add hot coals, put grates on wait a minute, put lid on top, let sit until up to desired cooking temp, brush off now hot grates, add extra wood chips if desired, replace grates, and then put meat on. Watch the temp as it may continue to rise after putting the meat on from opening up the lid.

Thanks for the help, I know it will take some testin, but I have 150 acres of mesquite wood and I would like to use that stuff cause its free. has anybody used wood only? and how did it work?

Back