Drain Valve

Roaster

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
When you cook do you have your drain valve open or closed?

I don't have a drain valve!

What kind of pit are we talking about here.

Personally, I'd go with open with a bucket or something underneath it to catch the grease.

i don't have 1 but everyone i know that does(not sure about langs)say it screws w/ their airflow like a vacuum effect drawing air from the stack.
for what it's worth...

I agree with the other Brethren here, BTW, Nice Looking unit you got there.I bet you can cook some Grub on that.

I don't have a valve either but I do block the hole so no air can enter.

Closed, open and drain when done before it cools.

i don't have 1 but everyone i know that does(not sure about langs)say it screws w/ their airflow like a vacuum effect drawing air from the stack.
for what it's worth...

I agree with the other Brethren here, BTW, Nice Looking unit you got there.I bet you can cook some Grub on that.

Yep! Closed! That's what I'd do...

i leave the grease valve open all the way on my lang, just use a 5 gallon bucket to catch the grease and
it's tall enough that it doesn't effect any air flow that i notice.:p:p

I'm not air tight anyway but I keep it open just a little although my bucket is small.

2drevr6.jpg

Keep it open

i leave the grease valve open all the way on my lang, just use a 5 gallon bucket to catch the grease and
it's tall enough that it doesn't effect any air flow that i notice.:p:p

On the Lang... the drain pipe is attached to the reverse flow plate at the grease v-channel. I only close it after a cooking and cleaning (for pit storage in the trailer).

Haven't seen any temp problems with the drain being open.

I leave it open, as the build up of grease is a fire hazard, and it makes cleaning much easier. Oh, and the dog thinks it is an alternate snack bowl...

LaborDayCook002.jpg

closed..

large cooks I will drain it during the cook to make sure i have no buildup, then close it again.

I've seen them both ways. I think the closed makes for some nice steam drying up all the grease. I walked by a few big pits hearing the pits with the closed valves "boiling" and seeing the large grease pails on the ones with the ones open. I think it's in your personal preference.

On the big pit I just finished, I had thought about filling the pan 1/2 with water and then draining in the end for a large cut or pig. would this be a bad idea?

Back