Kreuz or Smitty's for Lunch Today?

Thawley

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Going to Lockhart TX for lunch today.

I know this decision will raise the ire of some closest to the subject. Just curious WWTBD?

Kreuz if you want more elbow room. Smitty's if you want better BBQ. Sorry Jorge. I do like both. Don't forget your cash.

LOL- I did both and 1/2 hr north is the Salt Lick Q. I sure enjoyed that too!! In fact I look forward to going back to the Lick.

Both is the only way to go. And don't forget to give us a review.

Hey, pickup a bag of house beef rub at Kreuz and settle the question on coarse pepper or regular pepper mixed into the salt base.

Blacks is good, but I always thought Kreuz had the edge. Just my oppinion though. Next time I go back, I'll probably go to Kreuz and Smitty's just because they have two entirely different styles of ribs. Coarse pepper by the way, a little bit more course than what you'll get in most bottles. Kreuz's was where I had my bbq epiphany about 3 years ago. Until then I had no idea ribs could be that good.

I'd go to Kreuz, then Black's, then Smitty's if i had any room.

Only one? I'd have to got to Kreuz and have some smoked prime rib.

I have been meaning to jump in here for awhile so here goes. I went down to Austin to spend New Years with my son. We made all the rounds to the BBQ joints and music night life.
Smittys was one of the stops, as well as Blacks, Kreutz, Salt lick and The sausage stores in Elgin. I got to have a good conversation with John at Smittys. His mother owns the place. He gets quite a kick out of selling us tourists a zip lock bag of his "Secret Rub" for a dollar when it has about 3 cents worth of stuff in it. Being a tourist, I bought one. The first one is the bag as it comes.
Then a close up showing the grains, the penny was not included, its just there for size comparison.
The rub seems to be mostly salt, a little coarse black pepper, granulated garlic and a very small amount of cayenne pepper. I shook the paper plate to separate the grains and the cayenne was so small it went to the bottom and is hard to see.
A little different proportions that what Donny had in his post with the Dirty Dalmatian rub.I believe he was 50-50 salt and pepper.

NUTZ

Last edited:
OOPS, i forgot the Elgin Sausage rub they put on their brisket. They weren't letting these go for a dollar:evil:. I think they might have a little more cayenne plus paprika. Maybe Donny can jump in with his opinion. This a sealed package so I did not want to open it up for a close up. Sorry guys, I will only go so far for you!!

NUTZ

Last edited:
Both is the only way to go. And don't forget to give us a review.

Hey, pickup a bag of house beef rub at Kreuz and settle the question on coarse pepper or regular pepper mixed into the salt base.

60 mesh

OOPS, i forgot the Elgin Sausage rub they put on their brisket. They weren't letting these go for a dollar:evil:. I think they might have a little more cayenne plus paprika. Maybe Donny can jump in with his opinion. This a sealed package so I did not want to open it up for a close up. Sorry guys, I will only go so far for you!!

NUTZ

I think you could actually do a pretty good Observation of content rations with this... look at the simmular grains in the middle... but the Cayenne is impossible to figure out this way

A little different proportions that what Donny had in his post with the Dirty Dalmatian rub.I believe he was 50-50 salt and pepper.

NUTZ

No! Mine is equal parts salt pepper and non salt lemmon pepper or

or is using salted lemon pepper (more common) its Salt Pepper and 1/2 lemon pepper or so

Thawley,

Next time you are there, try Chisolm Trail. I've tried all of them: Black's, first, then Smitty's and Kreuz's.

My family and I always go to Chisolm Trail. Has sides, and consistency that is good competition with the others.

Bulverde

Okay Daddy-O, I have no reference to 60 mesh. The cracked pepper I buy from a speciality market is called 1/4 crack, so I add a tick of regular grind to round it out...... But when it's all said and done, the Lockhart mix at my house looks like this.

DSC08378a.jpg

Back