MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
Scrooge Fan
Full Fledged Farker

Default Need good pinto bean recipe

I just got some cracklings from my favorite butcher and I'm going to make some fried crackling bread. I have a large package of dried pinto beans. Does anyone have a good recipe for pinto beans?

Just for something different, I was kind of thinking of cooking them so that they were somewhat al dente rather than cooked down until the broth was thick.

Any ideas are welcome.
Scrooge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
snoqualmiesmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Thirdeye has a great one:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogs...nto-beans.html
STOKER 2
STOKER WHITEBOX
OKLAHOMA JOE LONGHORN
STUMPS PLATINUM
SUPERIOR SS1
[url]jjbbqcompany.com[/url]
snoqualmiesmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
jcfontario
Knows what a fatty is.

I will be interested in how the cracklings work in the bean recipe. I have some pieces of smoked skin that I have saved for deep frying into cracklings and I am looking for some good recipes for them before my wife decides that they are taking up valuable space in the freezer.
jcfontario is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
JimT
Full Fledged Farker

Default Roots

A great friend of mine (now deceased) was born in the mountains of Virginia before migrating to this area of Michigan. His method of cooking pintos was very simple, but always good. Just put them in a pot, cover with water (about double the hight of the beans) and let it boil for a few hours! If you had a ham hock or some bacon to add to the pot, that was better, but not necessary. A little while before you are ready to eat, make a few strokes in the pot with a potato masher. Just enough to slightly thicken. You'll know you're eating beans, not mush. Season as desired after serving.

Beans, cornbread, fresh 'damaters & green onions out of the garden. A meal born out of the depression in the hills of Virginia, but one I remember fondly.

JimT

Old 03-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
jray
Found some matches.

Default Pinto Purist

I've been eating and cooking pintos for forty years, in West Texas they are a staple. I've made them a hundred ways. My best advice is... go simple if the beans are a side dish; fancy if they are an entree'. Most people are so quick to jazz them up they don't even know that Pintos have their own flavor. It is a mild but complex taste.

Simple is:

Soak over night covered.
Discard water.
Put in heavy pot or Dutch Oven.
Cover with water plus an inch.
Add a 1/4 pound of Salt Pork per lb. of dry beans.
Add two or three tbs. of good grade chili powder The best is http://www.amazon.com/Mortons-Chili-Blend-6ct/dp/B001682Q48 Luckily for me every grocery store in the Panhandle of Texas has this. Do not add table salt if using powders that contain salt.
Add Black Pepper (couple tbs per pound of dry beans).
Bring to a boil for several minutes, then simmer till you get the texture you want. Stir often if using thin gauge cookware, you don't want them to scorch.
Check flavor carefully before adding anything, It is easy to over salt and cover the flavor of the Pintos.

Allow guests to season to taste with Cholula, Texas Champagne or whatever.

Fancy is:

Do the above.
Now add anything you like: sausage, brisket, left over pulled pork, jalapenos, seranos. I like some Chipolte.

Once again, simple is best for a side dish.

This is very similar to trying fancy rubs on Brisket for three years, then doing a salt and pepper rub,smoking with pecan and a "little" mesquite. It's a thing of beauty and the flavor is so good you wish you had stuck with simple all along.

Good luck, Jeff
jray is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Thumbs up Jeff.

Ya pretty much nailed it Dude!!!
I do them both ways but the same way, as you describe.

Weiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jray View Post
I've been eating and cooking pintos for forty years, in West Texas they are a staple. I've made them a hundred ways. My best advice is... go simple if the beans are a side dish; fancy if they are an entree'. Most people are so quick to jazz them up they don't even know that Pintos have their own flavor. It is a mild but complex taste.

Simple is:

Soak over night covered.
Discard water.
Put in heavy pot or Dutch Oven.
Cover with water plus an inch.
Add a 1/4 pound of Salt Pork per lb. of dry beans.
Add two or three tbs. of good grade chili powder The best is http://www.amazon.com/Mortons-Chili-Blend-6ct/dp/B001682Q48 Luckily for me every grocery store in the Panhandle of Texas has this. Do not add table salt if using powders that contain salt.
Add Black Pepper (couple tbs per pound of dry beans).
Bring to a boil for several minutes, then simmer till you get the texture you want. Stir often if using thin gauge cookware, you don't want them to scorch.
Check flavor carefully before adding anything, It is easy to over salt and cover the flavor of the Pintos.

Allow guests to season to taste with Cholula, Texas Champagne or whatever.

Fancy is:

Do the above.
Now add anything you like: sausage, brisket, left over pulled pork, jalapenos, seranos. I like some Chipolte.

Once again, simple is best for a side dish.

This is very similar to trying fancy rubs on Brisket for three years, then doing a salt and pepper rub,smoking with pecan and a "little" mesquite. It's a thing of beauty and the flavor is so good you wish you had stuck with simple all along.

Good luck, Jeff
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2009, 09:38 PM   #7
CritterCrusher
Knows what a fatty is.

These are the beans I make all the time.

Add these three items and simmer for two hours:

3 – Cups Beans
Cover with about 2-3 inches of water
1 – Small package salt pork cubed

Then add the following:

2 – Cans dice tomatoes with garlic & onions
1 or 2 – Serrano Peppers whole
2 or 3 – Cloves Garlic chopped
Hand full Cilantro chopped
Salt to taste

Simmer for another two hours or until tender.

Have fun with it!
CritterCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Pinto beans are great. Many ways to cook them good depending are how you were brought up and where you are in the country. I know how I prefer them either, both as the main meal or as a side, but alway a lot of good ideas here.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 11:54 AM   #9
CampyQ
Got Wood.

I've been eating these for years I also have a simple receipe.
Boil the dry beans until tender, drain off water and mash with potatoe masher. While mashing fry up some chorizo(usually 1 stick per pound of dry beans), pour entire fried chorizo into mashed beans(this means the gease also), stir together with some montery jack cheese.
Ready to serve. Hope you enjoy.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]UDS #1[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=red][B]"Do or do not, there is no try"[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
CampyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
Scrooge Fan
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfontario View Post
I will be interested in how the cracklings work in the bean recipe. I have some pieces of smoked skin that I have saved for deep frying into cracklings and I am looking for some good recipes for them before my wife decides that they are taking up valuable space in the freezer.
I don't plan to put the cracklings in the beans. At least not this time. The cracklings are going to be used to make fried crackling corn bread. I never had it before, but it sounds like something I need to try.

Thanks for all the suggestions. They have been very helpful. I'll post some pictures if my end result isn't embarrassing.
Scrooge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #11
SpammyQ
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoqualmiesmoker View Post
I vigorously second that. I have made those and they ROCK.
UDS
and a Super Fast R E D Thermopen!!!
SpammyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 01:38 PM   #12
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge Fan View Post
I don't plan to put the cracklings in the beans. At least not this time. The cracklings are going to be used to make fried crackling corn bread. I never had it before, but it sounds like something I need to try.

Thanks for all the suggestions. They have been very helpful. I'll post some pictures if my end result isn't embarrassing.
We put rinds and cracklins in the beans all the time. Just like putting in smoked hocks. Good stuff. Some cooked down chorizo is nice as is one onion cut in half, some garlic cloves for flavor. You will like the flavor the cracklins give the beans.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2009, 08:29 AM   #13
Desert Dweller
Babbling Farker

Location: Mesa, AZ Not exactly hell, but the zip code is very close...

1 pound Pinto Beans, washed and checked for rocks...
1 white onion
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
1/2 pound bacon
2 Tbsp Favorite Pork Rub
1 Tbsp Chili Powder

1. Soak beans at least 8 hours (overnight?)
2. Place in kettle covered with by equal amount of water, boil 30 mins
3. Place in crockpot on low heat covered with 1 inch water

4. Chop and fry bacon (do not discard grease)
5. Chop onion and fry in bacon grease w/garlic till onion is nearly clear

6. Add ingredients from steps 4 & 5
7. Add Chili Powder, Rub & Tomato Sauce

8. Go to work, come home, eat...

I frequently add other leftover meats, especoially pork; pulled, cubed chops or whatever...
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff0000]LFSA RED Thermapen,[/COLOR] [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]And 1 2010 Victor brand Hot Dog Cart[/FONT]

Last edited by Desert Dweller; 03-12-2009 at 10:42 AM..
Desert Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #14
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Oh yeah...............now there's a must try bean recipe. Nice. Bacon, chile powder, seems to have all the good stuff in it.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote