Could use a little pinto bean help

Harbormaster

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Mornin' everybody.

Workin on makin a big ole pot of pintos this morning.
I let them soak overnight and they absorbed up the water pretty well.

Now what? Dump that water and add new? Just cook the pintos in the same water? (That's how I did it last time) Also, how much water? Cook them till the water turns to a 'gravy' or just until done? I know I saw a pot of gorgeous beans on here once. Think they were from Thillin or Thirdeye but I could be wrong.

Gonna add some bacon, chorizo, onions and jalapenos. Any other suggestions?

Anyone care to help this Northerner out?

d02b78ed.jpg

These beans were inspired by my friend Tom, who is quite the hand at cooking both inside and outside.

3 cups washed Pinto beans
3 or 4 twice smoked ham hocks (or shanks) (or few strips bacon) (or 1/3 lb salt pork)
1 onion, chopped and sweated.
2 green onions with tops, chopped and sweated
2 split and seeded jalapenos (or serrano peppers), chopped
2 or 3 mild green chilis like Anaheim or Big Jim, roasted, skinned then chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, roasted and mashed into paste
1 bay leaf
1/2 T. dry mustard
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
2 T. chili powder “Top Hat” is my favorite
1 can extra Hot Rotel Tomatoes (optional)
1 or 2 t Summer Savory
1 t Epazote
black pepper to taste
salt to taste
Sriracha “hot” chili sauce served at the table.

Cover beans with water and soak overnight. For this years crop, soak about 3 or 4 hours only.

Drain the water off of the beans, rinse them, put in large pot and cover with fresh water by at least 2 inches. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Add the ham hocks, onions, garlic, peppers, bay leaf, mustard, Summer Savory, epazote, black pepper and chili powder. The beans can cook on the stovetop or be moved to the cooker, with the lid on but ajar. Add more water anytime during the cook as needed. Lastly, add the Worcestershire and tomatoes and cook for about 30 minutes more. Remove the hocks and pick the meat off of the bone, return to beans. Salt to taste at the end to avoid making the skin on the beans tough.

To reduce heat, use regular canned tomatoes and/or omit the serranos.

For smoky beans, move the Dutch oven into your cooker and remove the cover for the final hour or two, keeping your eye on the liquid level, adding water as needed. (The twice smoked hocks will give the beans a small amount of smoke flavor without extra smoke from the cooker.)

Use fresh water and cover with about 1" in pot. Don't salt until cooked. When the beans are fully cooked, mash some to make the liquid the consistency you like. Enjoy.
Paperboy98

I've done a few different recipes. I really like Dr BBQs recipe and Vencil's Taylor Cafe recipe. I'm trying to get back to basic good flavor recipe for comps. Rules state nothing arger than a bean. But I'd like to turn in a cup with beans and gravy only.

Ditto on the mashing or blending be in the juice and adding back to the pot.

I like to throw a little tomato sauce in with them. Along with some ham onions. No real recipe just toss it all in.

Thanks guys.

Thirdeye, that was the pic I was thinking of.

They're coming along nicely now. Gonna do a bacon weave meatloaf later, and will serve together.
Something tells me my family won't care for the beans, despite making one mild and one not-so-mild.

Bean and pork all you need then cut up a onion and good corn bread now that eating

pintos.jpg

Thanks for the cornbread reminder Jestridge.
I may need to make a drive to town to get some. I love cornbread with the pintos.

Here's a recipe I like from Jeff Wheeler aka Bigwheel.

Bigwheel's Beans

2 lbs washed pintos
1/3 lb salt pork..few strips bacon..or pork hock
1 onion
2 split japs or serrano peppers
3-4 garlic cloves
1 T. dry mustard
1 T. wooster sauce
3 T. chili powder
1 can extra Hot Rotel Tomatoes with Habs
salt and pepper to taste

Cover beans with 2" of water and soak 1 hr. Drain and refill to same level. Add the salt pork and bring to a rapid boil. Reduce heat and put on the lid. Simmer till nearly done but not quite then add the other stuff. Once you add the tomatoes they dont tender up any more. Add water anywhere along the way if they get too dry. Veggies can be chopped..purreed or floated. If you aint into heat too strong..use only half a can of the tomaters.

I got a silly question, how long do you guys soak beans for?

overnite is 8 hours for me,,, 12 for my wife,,

Well, mine soaked for over 8. I like 'em prett soft, and they've been simmering all day. 2 different pots, I think the ones for the fam are done, my pot (the big one, full of rich spicy goodness of course!) is probably good enough to eat.

Some of you folks down south have no idea how good you got it, being able to get hocks and all. I never see anything like that around here. Maybe I need to pay closer attention.

The bacon weave meatloaf is looking good too! had 5 slices of bacon leftover and did pig candy. Can't wait.

Well my mom and dad are from Tennessee and here is how we have always made our beans, even my folks down in TN.

We do not soak the beans at all, make sure there are no rocks (if you are buying from a store) rinse them, put in a pot and cover with about 2 inches of water and add a big ol scoop of lard (butter works too) bring to a boil. Reduce hit and simmer for about 3-4 hours, add some onions. If you have a ham bone or some ham chunks those are nice. Never had a problem with the beans not being soft. Then you have to have fried taters and homemade cornbread with it.
This is actually my Super Bowl menu!!

I used to soak the beans overnight and then change the water, but several years ago I got lazy and decided to just toss everything in the slow cooker and just go for it. As long as you rinse them off real good and get rid of the rocks they don't seem to be much different than the soaked variety, although they do seem to take a little longer to cook.

You all made me miss the beans Mom used to make. So I went to the store, bought a couple smoked ham hocks, and am soaking the beans as we speak.
This is gonna be good!

If you are planning on making them into refried, put a dab of Crisco lard into the pot. The wife does it and so has many other generations of Mexican women before her!

My Mom always taught us that you could tell when the beans were done when you take up a spoonful of beans out of the pot then blow on them. If the skin splits then they are done just right, if not then keep cooking. It's always worked out for me. Have any of you heard of this before?

My Mom always taught us that you could tell when the beans were done when you take up a spoonful of beans out of the pot then blow on them. If the skin splits then they are done just right, if not then keep cooking. It's always worked out for me. Have any of you heard of this before?

No, but I'll be checking it out in a couple of hours. Pintos are simmering away on the stove right now.

Back