MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
tuvok42
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Practice! are we takin bout practice

I'm thinking about turning my season ending online football banquet into a practice session for a KCBS tounrnament. I got 8 to 12 gamers coming over. I bought a packer, 3 slabs of ribs, a 8lb shoulder and some thighs. Besides the fact that these guys aren't judges i think i can get some feed back on appearance and taste. Anyone ever try this?
Kenmore gas burner
Coleman road trip
tuvok42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

We did something like that before our very first comp. Invited about 40 people, the two of us each did the four meat categories so the judges could decide which was the preferred recipe. We also adhered to the KCBS rules for garnish and turn-in times. Helped a lot. We even had a teen band performing so it would feel just like a real contest. Somehow even managed to get some very high winds and sideways rain thrown in for good measure!
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

If you're going to do this, do it right. Use standard turn in time and setup in the yard or driveway just like you would for a comp. Then, keep track of anything that you have to go into the house to get. That way you're practicing your setup, fine tuning you packing list and practicing the cooking.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
If you're going to do this, do it right. Use standard turn in time and setup in the yard or driveway just like you would for a comp. Then, keep track of anything that you have to go into the house to get. That way you're practicing your setup, fine tuning you packing list and practicing the cooking.

Pack up the vehical and drive for 3 hours around town. Get back home and unpack cook ect all weekend. Pay the neighbor kid to spray you with a hose like a rainstorm. Then pack up drive another 3 hours around town. Come home unpack...

Seriously good luck it is an awesome exp.

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
tuvok42
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Well i just don,t know what i got myself into. But the turn in times sounds like a good idea. I,ll just pretend that im being sprayed with hose.
Kenmore gas burner
Coleman road trip
tuvok42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

They would not be good unbiased people.. it'll all taste great to them.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
4uweque
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
They would not be good unbiased people.. it'll all taste great to them.
Same problem I have. But working on your timeline and documenting EVERYTHING is certainly worth the effort.
4uweque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Yeah and stay up real late and only "sleep" for 3 hours in a chair too.

Hey, may as well go all the way to make it realistic!

Good luck on the practice! It makes perfect you know!

Old 04-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
GQue
Full Fledged Farker

Yes I do something like this...but I found the best thing to do is just have them score taste as they have no perspective on appearance of tenderness and they tend to see what there neighbor is scoring so that they dont look foolish - Remind them that there are no wrong answers - You will get low scrores 4-7 but recognize that they have never been to a CBJ class so dont have the perspective.
Memphis Pro
Gasser
Weber 22
CBJ #52802

Learn easy and effective tricks on the grill and smoker at my you tube channel:
[URL="https://www.youtube.com/user/BBQGQue"]https://www.youtube.com/user/BBQGQue[/URL]
GQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #10
LoneStar Smoke Rangers
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
I would focus more on the timeline, the practice of cooking meats, and adhearing to the actual turnin times then the judging comments. I've done this a few times and it can be helpful and fun.
LoneStar Smoke Rangers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #11
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

Dont forget the sun block and over induldge in favorite beverage. Make it really real and use styro foam clam shells. Oh also with turnin times walk around the block 4 times with said turnin box to simulate how far you will have to walk to actually turnin your entry.

All kidding aside
Again this is a memory of a life time and you will want to do it again...

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

I've never gotten any good feedback from friends and family. They always rave about it and aren't critical enough.

Make sure you give them score cards and ask them to take notes of the flavors, textures etc. You might be able to glean a few nuggets.

Practicing is well worth while, and it is fun to have friends enjoy your results. Just don't expect to get much actionable feedback from them.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #13
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Here is an idea.

Just enter the competition, show up and cook...

The day I give score cards to friends and family is the day I find a new hobby.

Folks come to my house to eat and thats all I expect of them.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #14
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Like the others have said, I don't think that friends and family will give you contest worthy feedback about your product. At a contest you are going to be in a field full of people who's friends and families told them their food was great.

I do think it can be used as an effective way to practice your process. If you setup "turn in times" it can be a good way to fine tune your timing.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #15
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

It really depends on what you're looking for (as a result) from the practice. If you're looking to develop and hit a timeline, this is fine, and you'll get told how great the Q is. However, if you're looking for honest feedback regarding your recipes, you'll need at least 10 people, approximately the same age as most judges (probably average age is 55), stone cold sober, sampling MULTIPLE recipes. Yep, you'll need to cook 2 or 3 or 4 different recipes. Get them to judge them against one another. Also, MANY different sauces. Get them to mix and match them. THEN you'll get feedback on recipes and which is best. Also, you want a few smokers and a few hard-core non-smokers in the mix. Otherwise, just focus on a timeline.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote