MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #16
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Coals are hotter than flame too, which I imagine heated the spit so this is probably why you had the meltdown?
I was thinking on similar lines, I've done small 'mallos on the spit forks and noticed that they started to droop and not rotate pretty quickly into the roasting/flaming ball of death conversion process...

I havent tried those massive marshmallows yet, but I was thinking that since they are so large and the spit rod is 1/2" diameter, it might be a more suitable roasting rod. It will absorb heat slower since you can butt marshmallows right up to eachother and only have exposed steel at the ends... Of course, they might not slide onto the rod as easily either... a little cooking spray on the rod between sliding them each on...?

If you want them gooey to the center and only toasted on the outside, heat them until they just barely begin to show color and then remove from the heat for a few min, this will let the hot outside continue to "goo-up" the inside of them, but not burn the outside. After a few min off the fire, return to the heat and toast to desired color. Be ready with a plate! Once they start to sag, it's too late to run inside for one!!!

BTW - on the BBQ Disasters, we can keep secrets... if it's really that bad of a disaster, we definately want to hear about it!!
[B]1967' Int'l Harvester M1100 Food Truck, 220ci 6cyl - 5' ABS Judge - Plethora of Weber Kettles - 2 WSM 22.5's – Bunch of Thermapen Mk's - 36” BlackStone - 3 Bayou Classic Fryers - Ice Cold Kegerator[/B]

[B][I]“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz[/I][/B]
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #17
Jonny Rotisserie
Full Fledged Farker

Those are some great tips. Now that I hear you had some low saggy 'mallows even way up in the Furry White North makes me want to really give the frozen ones a try. I got as far as putting them in the freezer to see if they become rock solid or not. They don't. They become a bit like a cool Japanese mochi kinda a thing if you have tried that. Frozen may be the way to go.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:43 PM   #18
heiny
On the road to being a farker

looked good to me

Old 07-14-2010, 04:55 AM   #19
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Rotisserie View Post
BTW Utrecht is my favorite city in Holland. Great canals and ambiance. Didn't know people Q'ed there as well!

Well...there's me in Utrecht and a couple of Dutch Brethren that live in the provence of Utrecht,so far I know those are the only Q joints in U-town.
Wharfs along the canals make Utrecht special.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 06:51 AM   #20
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Thanks Jonny, especially for posting those pics of those adorable kids. I didn't know you were so lucky. It didn't look like a disaster to me. My kids would've loved it also.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #21
Jonny Rotisserie
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Thanks Jonny, especially for posting those pics of those adorable kids. I didn't know you were so lucky. It didn't look like a disaster to me. My kids would've loved it also.
Thanks Gore! I am especially lucky because I can have such a cute niece and nephew and don't have to feed or water them. OK maybe the occasional Rice Crispy treat.

BTW I was going to try and drop by and pay my respects to the Master on my way from the South up to Massachusetts but ended up converting my road trip to a flying trip at the last minute. It sounds like you may be gallivanting around the Old Country anyway.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #22
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Rotisserie View Post
BTW I was going to try and drop by and pay my respects to the Master on my way from the South up to Massachusetts but ended up converting my road trip to a flying trip at the last minute. It sounds like you may be gallivanting around the Old Country anyway.
And don't even think of taking that rotisserie carry-on!
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #23
Bacon_99
Full Fledged Farker

Wow - that sounds great! I bet they were way better than the traditional stovetop method.... Especially with the caramelization... I'd like to re-create this but in a slightly less messy fashion ; )

Old 07-15-2010, 07:50 AM   #24
Jonny Rotisserie
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phubar View Post
Well...there's me in Utrecht and a couple of Dutch Brethren that live in the provence of Utrecht...
Come to think of it, I shouldn't be surprised that there are Q-ers over there. Dutch ovens had to come from somewhere, right?

Tags
Rice Crispy Treats, rotisserie