MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-11-2020, 08:29 AM   #46
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : T.J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
Nice! Are you going with raw finish or the powder coated? What’s approximate lead time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Raw, no cowboy grill, and no upper shelf. I ordered it online so I’m not positive about delivery, but I messaged them on
Instagram a few weeks back and they said early March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->

Old 01-11-2020, 09:42 AM   #47
stepheneleven
Full Fledged Farker

Nice, I went raw and ditched the cowboy grill too. Kept the second shelf, just in case I ever need it. Only a $111 more and you get 2 more tel-trus, so what the hell. Can’t wait.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-11-2020, 10:47 AM   #48
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

With the raw finish do you just oil it down every few cooks? What do you use so it doesn't get tacky? Congrats on your new toys! I am really intrigued by the claim that it cooks faster and it looks awesome. Y'all picking up or getting them delivered?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2020, 02:06 PM   #49
gtsum
Babbling Farker

I’m thinking of ordering one of these or a Shirley patio to play with

gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2020, 02:11 PM   #50
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
With the raw finish do you just oil it down every few cooks? What do you use so it doesn't get tacky? Congrats on your new toys! I am really intrigued by the claim that it cooks faster and it looks awesome. Y'all picking up or getting them delivered?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I’m getting it delivered. I can’t answer your other questions yet, but I’d sure like to know. I’m planning on contacting Workhorse tomorrow to answer these and other questions I have.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-11-2020, 02:13 PM   #51
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Can anyone point me to the Instagram post where Moberg and Mill Scale got into it with WorkHorse? I can’t seem to find it. I’d like to know what kind of guys those other companies are, and see if they actually had a valid grievance.

Old 01-11-2020, 03:34 PM   #52
stepheneleven
Full Fledged Farker

https://www.instagram.com/p/B47k--xh...=180xjbykelfv4

It was on a primitive pits post, not a workhorse post. They eventually deleted their more offensive comments on it but if you read closely, you can see it was this post. Millscale was originally the first post in the thread and said primitive pits steal ideas from other pit builders and that doesn’t show respect for the industry, and some nonsense about “Mill-berg or Mo-Scale”. Not sure what that even meant. Moberg decided to chime in and say that having their own look would only help them, basically suggesting he agreed with millscale.

The irony was that JD was building the exact same smoker he does now before millscale even existed, and while sunny moberg may have been welding since the 80s, it’s clear they were both selling their pits to Texas bbq joints around the same time. No one ripped anyone off.

It just seemed very petty/ridiculous and helped me decide between the 3 backyard models. I put in my workhorse order shortly after reading it.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-11-2020, 03:57 PM   #53
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Any idea if some of their improvements include a front shelf?

gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2020, 05:20 PM   #54
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepheneleven View Post
https://www.instagram.com/p/B47k--xh...=180xjbykelfv4

It was on a primitive pits post, not a workhorse post. They eventually deleted their more offensive comments on it but if you read closely, you can see it was this post. Millscale was originally the first post in the thread and said primitive pits steal ideas from other pit builders and that doesn’t show respect for the industry, and some nonsense about “Mill-berg or Mo-Scale”. Not sure what that even meant. Moberg decided to chime in and say that having their own look would only help them, basically suggesting he agreed with millscale.

The irony was that JD was building the exact same smoker he does now before millscale even existed, and while sunny moberg may have been welding since the 80s, it’s clear they were both selling their pits to Texas bbq joints around the same time. No one ripped anyone off.

It just seemed very petty/ridiculous and helped me decide between the 3 backyard models. I put in my workhorse order shortly after reading it.

Thank you for clarifying that. I’ve spoke to Sunny on the phone,and he seemed nice enough, but I can’t stand that kind of BS. While I do love the look of Mill Scale, I can’t help but feel that they’re gouging customers a bit with those prices. Plus they were pretty evasive about answering my questions while I was considering them. All in all I feel good about my choice to buy a Workhorse especially in light of that Instagram nonsense. Also, while I don’t know JD, he comes across as a helluva nice guy in his videos and he’s very transparent about pit building.

Old 01-11-2020, 05:47 PM   #55
stepheneleven
Full Fledged Farker

I think Sunny is a genuine guy. I have heard him on a few podcasts and he seems like a nice and hardworking dude and really cares about his work. He really didn’t say anything too bad in the thread, he was probably just backing up his Texas buddies and didn’t realize how unprofessional their comment made them look.

I think what it really boils down to is a couple of Texas boys not thrilled that a Georgia boy is selling pits in their backyard to big name restaurants. I just don’t really see what the big deal is, they both have year+ waiting lists.

Old 01-11-2020, 05:58 PM   #56
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Work horse pits stick burner or Moberg 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepheneleven View Post
I think Sunny is a genuine guy. I have heard him on a few podcasts and he seems like a nice and hardworking dude and really cares about his work. He really didn’t say anything too bad in the thread, he was probably just backing up his Texas buddies and didn’t realize how unprofessional their comment made them look.

I think what it really boils down to is a couple of Texas boys not thrilled that a Georgia boy is selling pits in their backyard to big name restaurants. I just don’t really see what the big deal is, they both have year+ waiting lists.

I agree with you on Sunny’s genuineness as well as the back up theory. Listening to him on podcasts and the like, he just like JD, seems to be down to earth and nice. Based on my interpretation of the thread, I’m glad I didn’t do business with Mill Scale. As a business owner myself, I never keep an eye on what my competitors are doing. I always keep the focus on my company and delivering the very best that I can. No need to fear or worry about competition as long as you’re doing the very best you can.

Old 01-11-2020, 06:11 PM   #57
Dustin Dorsey
Full Fledged Farker

These things usually happen in the dead of night on a Saturday. I imagine there libations involved. I saw one where John Lewis jumped on Moberg posted early Sunday morning.
Dustin Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2020, 07:02 PM   #58
IndyBigKat
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Kristian

I ordered the 1975-t on Jan 4th. I can’t wait to hear from some you that will get your pits before I do.
IndyBigKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2020, 07:05 PM   #59
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBigKat View Post
I ordered the 1975-t on Jan 4th. I can’t wait to hear from some you that will get your pits before I do.

What’s your eta?

Old 01-11-2020, 07:15 PM   #60
IndyBigKat
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Kristian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC ‘Que View Post
What’s your eta?

When I originally contacted them on the 2nd I was told that the ship date would be 3/9 for a 1975. I decided to go the trailer route but didn’t ask if/how it would affect that lead time.
IndyBigKat is offline   Reply With Quote