• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Well I went and done it now.........

D

drewc

I am going to do my first competition!!!! It is not KCBS sanctioned, but I have to start somewhere??? It is a car show, and their are having there first ever BBQ comp with it. You have to prepare 1,000 samples for the public to judge. The public buys the wristband that allows them to try the BBQ and cast a vote.

Question....If I am having to provide AT LEAST 1,000 samples, they said it is the 2 ounce cups like you get condiments in at restaurants. The average weight of a Pork Butt is 8-9 lbs. , how many butts do you think I will need to provide the amount of samples???? I am also allowed to sell anything over to the public. I thought I would sell a sandwich, corn, and things. I am trying to get my new team name out there????

I am open for any advice as well. The stress level is starting to go up:roll:

Best of luck. Have fun with it!

Sounds like they're using the little 2oz cups you'd use in the crowd favorite portion
of a chili cookoff...

Not a great way for BBQ (IMHO), but I'd prepare for it. You'll want to have your BBQ
small enough (chopped, dare I say it) to fit plenty in there. You'll get about 6 lbs of
meat out of a 9lb. 6x16oz = 96 ounces roughly per butt in finished meat. I figure
you'll put about 1.5 ounces of meat in that cup, averages being averages. I expect
you'll get about 65 cups filled per butt. That's what, 16 butts? Wow. I'd ask the
organizer if that's what they had in mind. Seriously.

Also, you'll want to sauce this quite a bit. There's not really enough meat in an ounce
or two to get a good flavor to come through. Someone will probably win this with
a really good sauce and average Q.

<--- Thinking to myself... You wont want to do this all at once. If you do, you'll end
up with cold food and all that goes with it (bad taste, risk food contamination, etc).

Again, I'd call the organizer and talk with them to verify the number of butts.

Last edited:
I agree with ^^^^^.....

Personally, I think a full KCBS comp would be less work....

I would also not even think about doing any vending if what they told you is correct....

Thank you for the input so far...........I was thinking the same thing....a sanctioned contest would not be as bad. If I live to tell about this one, I would like to get into one of those next. Also, I am not crazy about the chopping part either. I figured that would make it go further and easier in the cups, but you are not getting the real deal that way. I guess it is more of who can get the most votes out of the whole thing. I can say I will learn a lot out of this, and they will probably learn some things about Competition BBQ since this is there first time having this kind of contest. ?????

No I have no way of doing all this at once. I am still looking forward to it though, no matter what place....if I place at all......IT IS GOING TO BE A LOT OF FUN!!!! STRESSFULL....................BUT A LOT OF FUN!!!!!

Absolutely, have fun. I'm not certain how much of what your learn on this one
will correlate/transfer to another (possibly sanctioned) competition. Comps are
on a timed turn-in schedule; miss it by a second and you're DQ'd. You wont really
get timing down on this one. The volume of meat is completely different. You
wouldn't necessarily want to chop your pork (I suppose someone does, but...) in
a comp. The organizer has really set up a very peculiar BBQ competition, IMHO.

This is a straight forward crowd favorite. By the way, many if not most times the
best BBQ doesn't win. This is about working the crowd. If you have children, get
them out in the crowd in front of your area/booth and bring the people in. Solicit
for votes. Work it. Play some music. Something/anything to bring people in and
really push for their vote/ticket. I've never seen a BBQ comp do this. I've seen
MANY chili comps do this, and it can be fun, in addition to the real blind judged
piece. Even then, the larger teams with more people to work the crowd almost
always win. If you're going against a local company (or fire department, police dept,
etc) that brings in the locals; you've probably lost this contest before it starts.
Their votes are already spoken for (so to speak).

We do something similar once a year at Stone Mtn; a chili cookoff. We have about
10 of our friends/family work the crowd. We use a cow bell when we get a vote. We
play the "Who Let The Dogs Out" song quite a bit (play on Lake Dogs). The kids
place "Lake Dogs" stickers on other kids' shirts, etc. We've done well a few times in
crowd favorite, but it's almost impossible to win against the really big teams with young ladies dressed in bikini's, etc.

Good luck! It sounds like a chili cookoff gone BBQ...

Is pork butt the requirement? If not, I'd be thinking MOINK Balls :clap2:
Here's about 1/4 of what you would need...
IMG_9750.jpg

The problem with a public vote like this is 2 things.
1) the local team always wins. (maybe your the local team)
2) Your putting up a lot of money to feed the public for no return.

Have fun with it, but I'd take my chances at a sanctioned contest.

There are 2 catagories........1. Restaurants and 2. Non-profit organizations(that would be me.........Rookie....LOL)

1st, 2nd, 3rd place winners for Best Ribs, Best Pork, and Best Chicken. I am just doing the Pork because cost. I have no sponsors, so I am just going to fly it with one catagegory. Since we were able to sell product I thought this would be one way of getting some return on the investment????? Pork was cheaper than Ribs, or Chicken......I like the Moink Balls idea....................

Yes................I have come to realize this is a CONTEST not a competition...........LOL..............

I do want to think everyone for the input.......................I will have to put the pictures up when it is over

Back