MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
Philly-QueMaster
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Mobile Vending with UDS?

Is it possible to start doing some mobile vending on the weekends just using a few UDS'? I would like to try some mobile vending on Saturdays and Sundays but don't want to invest a lot of money in a big expensive smoker. I have two UDS' right now and could make a couple more if needed. I was thinking of just starting small...chicken and ribs, and maybe pulled pork sandwhiches. Anyone done anything like this? Would the health department care what I'm cooking on? I'm not even sure where to start. I guess I should contact the health depart and see what their requirements are?

Patrick
Philly-QueMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #2
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-QueMaster View Post
. I guess I should contact the health depart and see what their requirements are?

Patrick
You've got it. Here in NE, as long as they see I'm properly cleaning my drums it is OK. Some jurisdictions won't allow the use of a smoker unless it has a stainless interior.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Most HD's are more interested in your prep area and vending area. Also how you keep food hot once it's off the smoker and how you do cool down and reheat. Of course here in MI when you write SOP's that say you're cooling meat with shocking in a cooler with ice water they say great. Then ask where your NSF approved fridge is. So write SOP's that say I will sell what I cook. It can be as easy as an EZUP with bus tubs and a water cooler with hot water for washing. Of course there's lots more like test strips for water, sanitizers, heating water, etc. And once you bring in a turkey fryer then you have the issues with the fire dept about safety.

So you're right about starting with the HD. And don't forget local govt as they will want a license fee plus you need to register for state sales tax if there's tax on food in PA.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
timmy7649
Full Fledged Farker

do you have one of these step by step for oregon?
Old 12-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
Philly-QueMaster
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks everyone for the replies. I actually spoke the health department and it sounds like it would be easier if I got setup with a local VFW, Church, Fire Hall, or Non-Profit organization. I would be able to use their kitchen as long as it met the HD's code requirements. This is the list they gave me for what they look for.

3 Compartment sink for Washing, Rinsing, and Sanitizing
Food prep sink for washing fruits, veggies, and meat
Mop Sink
Hand Washing Sink - Need one withing every 20 feet of working area.
Materials - Floors, Walls, Ceiling should be smooth and non-porous and easily cleanable.

I now have to find a site to work with.

Patrick
Old 12-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #7
maxwell7
Full Fledged Farker

I guess these posts rule-out a corner of your local mall as a vending site!!!Here in Illinois ( springfield) a local D.J. named "one-eyed jack", set up in a parking lot on a highly traveled area , and calls himself the " Dr. Of BBQ". I believe he does quite well!!!He has a large off-set smoker , but also has a trailer for vending like you see at county fairs etc.( Thought I should add that!)

Last edited by maxwell7; 12-02-2009 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: incomplete
maxwell7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:51 PM   #8
Philly-QueMaster
is one Smokin' Farker

I live in Montgomery County so this doesn't pertain to me. They have their own health department, thanks for the info anyways.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:57 AM   #9
tmcmaster
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brer rabbit View Post
step 2: move to another state

That would be funnier, if not so true!
Old 12-03-2009, 08:40 AM   #10
brer rabbit
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
I live in Montgomery County.....
on purpose?

hehe you poor souls should get a yearly stipend for what you have to deal with over there.... id have a gun in my mouth about day 3

anyway, good luck on your q'in idear. :)
brer rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #11
Philly-QueMaster
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brer rabbit View Post
on purpose?

hehe you poor souls should get a yearly stipend for what you have to deal with over there.... id have a gun in my mouth about day 3

anyway, good luck on your q'in idear. :)
Whats wrong with Montgomery County? I love it here...if I still lived in Philly I wouldn't be too happy.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #12
brer rabbit
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Whats wrong with Montgomery County? I love it here...if I still lived in Philly I wouldn't be too happy.

i was just jokin about bein in the city half of the state. to the rest of us, everything on the east side of 81 and south of 80 is philly. glad u are happy where uare
brer rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #13
Michael in PA
Got Wood.

Yo Patrick,

I'm guessing you talked to Jackie at the Montco HD? She's the one that got me passed and she's a good person to work with.

You need to differentiate between temporary vendor at fairs, festivals, airshows, community days, etc. where your presense is temporary and having regular hours in a fixed location.

As a temporary vendor you need use of a commisary, or a licensed kitchen that is up to current code.

As a seasonal vendor or vendor with limited hours in a fixed location, like myself and whooley, there is a whole other set of more stringent rules. You have to have a permanent roof over your cooking and serving area and the ceiling must meet the finishes rules. You also need a hot water handwash sink. You also cannot hold food outside of tthe cooker, meaning you have to serve it out of the cooker.

I could not find a club that was willing to host a pavilion so I got the bright idea of permenantly attaching a permanent roof to my cooker. It passed.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #14
Philly-QueMaster
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in PA View Post
Yo Patrick,

I'm guessing you talked to Jackie at the Montco HD? She's the one that got me passed and she's a good person to work with.

You need to differentiate between temporary vendor at fairs, festivals, airshows, community days, etc. where your presense is temporary and having regular hours in a fixed location.

As a temporary vendor you need use of a commisary, or a licensed kitchen that is up to current code.

As a seasonal vendor or vendor with limited hours in a fixed location, like myself and whooley, there is a whole other set of more stringent rules. You have to have a permanent roof over your cooking and serving area and the ceiling must meet the finishes rules. You also need a hot water handwash sink. You also cannot hold food outside of tthe cooker, meaning you have to serve it out of the cooker.

I could not find a club that was willing to host a pavilion so I got the bright idea of permenantly attaching a permanent roof to my cooker. It passed.
Hey Mike thanks for the info. Yes I talked to Jackie and she said it would be easier for me to get setup with a commisary that has a kitchen up to code. She didn't mention anything about having a roof over the cooking and serving area. I wasn't planning on changing locations, but was thinking of a permanent location like you have and Whooleys. There are a few VFW Halls in my area I could try contacting. I wasn't aware that you have to serve the food right out of the cooker. At Whooley's they store the food in coolers and serve from there. I was thinking of doing something similar. So I guess an EZ up wouldn't past the test of a permanent roof would it? Do you have any pictures of your setup? I still need to make my way up to lansdale to checkout your food. Thanks again for the info.

Patrick
Old 01-04-2010, 01:30 PM   #15
bam
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
What wrong with Philly? I live in Philly chit happens everywhere. Keep us posted Willow Grove 15 min away.
bam is offline   Reply With Quote