MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
jasonville43
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Vending meatloaf

I have been do concession for a couple years and mostly serve pulled pork, chicken and sometimes beef as sandwiches, wraps, nachos, etc. I have been thinking about offering meatloaf sandwiches at a one day event this month but my question is holding the meatloaf at temp. I have thought about smoking the meatloafs so they are done right about opeing time and for the last 30 mins of smoking reduce the temp to a holding temp between 160-175 and simple grab loafs out of the smoker as needed. The event will run about 6-7 hours, what do you guys think or what would you suggest. I have thought about cooking several batches but I am not sure where I would hold the raw loafs until they are needed.

Thanks!!!

Old 06-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
themidniteryder
Knows what a fatty is.

I would stage it where you had X number of fresh loafs coming off at the top of the hour. X depending on turnout and expected sales. Cooler with ice to hold the raw loafs, Cambro or wrapped in a cooler for hot holding waiting loafs.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

The normal restaurant way would be to get them all cooked fully, panned and foiled and into the warmer/cooker at 150F to 160F, for service. The issue is that meatloaf dries over time, even when held at warmer temperatures. So you need to keep them in the pans, and a little moisture added to the pan doesn't hurt.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
acguy
Knows what a fatty is.

I don't have first hand experience. But, my neighbor at a festival last year sold meat loaf sandwiches. They were very popular! I talked to the owner for a bit and we compared notes. His biggest complaint was a high food cost due to the same things being pointed out by others in this thread.

I think you have a good plan. I would suggest a low estimate of meat loaf and intend to run out.
acguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
jasonville43
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for all the advice guys and I was planning running out (hopefully) If this was a several day event I would probably go the fresh loafs coming off every hour, but I think I will go the panned and foiled route this time. Thinking about wrapping the loafs and placing several in full size aluminum pans and putting some liquid in the pan to help with moisture.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
jasonville43
Knows what a fatty is.

I was also wondering what you guys have seen the meatloaf served on, bun, bread, sub, etc. What something that will not fall apart but not be more bread than meat!!
Old 06-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have seen it mostly on a soft roll.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
jasonville43
Knows what a fatty is.

Just wanted to let everyone know the Meatloaf was a hit and we sold out about an hour before the event ended!! Also the BBQ sundae and our new slaw recipe did great!
Old 07-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
jmoney7269
Banned

What all did you sell it with? On a roll or with sides. What about does a plate like that run?
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
jasonville43
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
What all did you sell it with? On a roll or with sides. What about does a plate like that run?
We sold it on Texas toast bread @$6 a sandwich and we offered sides for $1 each, most people ordered the sandwich and 1 side. I chose the bread because of the formed the meatloaf into a rectangle so I could fit 2 slices neatly on the bread.