MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
volkanator
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Easiest/best way to get a UDS?

I'm pretty much 100% definitely getting a smoker. Leaning towards WSM 22.5" for convenience sake plus my other 2 grills are Weber's and I'm a big fan.

That being said, there seem to be a lot of BGE fans on the forum and even more UDS fans.

Im open to both but UDS is definitely the most intriguing but I don't know how to weld.

Is there a place I can just buy one pre-made with all the bells and whistles while still keeping the cost somewhere in the 22.5" WSM ballpark?

Or maybe find a way of making my own that is so foolproof and easy that even I could do it?
volkanator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
ytsejam
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkanator View Post
I'm pretty much 100% definitely getting a smoker. Leaning towards WSM 22.5" for convenience sake plus my other 2 grills are Weber's and I'm a big fan.

That being said, there seem to be a lot of BGE fans on the forum and even more UDS fans.

Im open to both but UDS is definitely the most intriguing but I don't know how to weld.

Is there a place I can just buy one pre-made with all the bells and whistles while still keeping the cost somewhere in the 22.5" WSM ballpark?

Or maybe find a way of making my own that is so foolproof and easy that even I could do it?
If I had the means I would def. get a Big Green Egg.
But my UDS has been working pretty good so far. I spent less than $100 on it, and did it my self, and I didn't weld a thing.
Other than the parts for the thing, the only supplies i needed was a hole saw, a 1/4 inch drill bit, and a wire brush thingy

I still want an egg pretty bad though, but what are you gonna do
ytsejam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkanator View Post
No welding necessary, a drill, a uni-bit, a wrench, and about an hour of your time once you get all the parts needed.

There is a guy out there selling Big Drum Smokers but I think those cost more than a WSM.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #4
ComputerMike
Take a breath!

Here is my 100% weld free UDS. It cost $40 CND including stainless hardware and paint. I burned it out twice and then built it in a single day, including the groovy logo.

I went for the cheap K.I.S.S method. Holes with magnets for the intakes. Bolts fo rthe grill supports. The Kettle, Drum , shelves and basket parts were all scrounged (excluding stainless hardware). I used an angle grinder to remove the lid and a 1/2" drill with a unibit to make all the holes. The bottle opener I had lying around waiting for something worthy to bolt it to.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
Crüe-B-Cüe
is One Chatty Farker

Nope, no welding. Just a little drilling. A drum, cheap $39 grill from Sears, a piece of expanded metal from Lowe's and few stainless nuts and bolts. Here's one of the twins. This one's at my office.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
volkanator
Knows what a fatty is.

Wow, these pictures are amazing!

Old 05-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #7
volkanator
Knows what a fatty is.

Are there grill lids out there that just happen to fit perfectly on a drum? Seems like an aesthetically pleasing way to top it off like you guys have on the pictures above.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
volkanator
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerMike View Post
Here is my 100% weld free UDS. It cost $40 CND including stainless hardware and paint. I burned it out twice and then built it in a single day, including the groovy logo.

I went for the cheap K.I.S.S method. Holes with magnets for the intakes. Bolts fo rthe grill supports. The Kettle, Drum , shelves and basket parts were all scrounged (excluding stainless hardware). I used an angle grinder to remove the lid and a 1/2" drill with a unibit to make all the holes. The bottle opener I had lying around waiting for something worthy to bolt it to.
So basically you cut the bottom off and then used a random metal pan and basket and whenever you light the starter you dump the contents into the basket and then lift the drum and slide it down and over the basket? Not an airtight seal on the ground but close enough? Just trying to really understand everything based on the picture. Everyone has so many great tips and hints I'm just trying to merge them all in my head and come up with the best solution that is within my skill set.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:25 AM   #9
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Steal one off my deck-

KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #10
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

No I don't think Mike cut the bottom out. I did that on my first UDS and had trouble with air control. I still think it is possible but haven't had time to work it out and I don't weld so I can't do what alot of these guys can.

Look through this post http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43943

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #11
dbeast420
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
No I don't think Mike cut the bottom out. I did that on my first UDS and had trouble with air control. I still think it is possible but haven't had time to work it out and I don't weld so I can't do what alot of these guys can.

Look through this post http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43943

That seems to be the build bible if ya want to do it simple.
I followed it and couldn't be happier with mine

It's always darkest before the dawn.
So,if you're going to steal your neighbors smoker,that's the time to do it [URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/dbeast420/CHAD.jpg"]
[/URL]
dbeast420 is offline   Reply With Quote