MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:23 AM   #10861
Prospector
Got rid of the matchlight.

Building my first UDS. Just ordered a Pitmaster IQ for it. My question is, if I am using the temp. regulator, then do I need the other two air vents in the bottom of the UDS?
Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2013, 02:36 AM   #10862
Mr_Nas
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramiro0727 View Post
Nice looking UDS and handles. Where did you purchase your handles from?

Ramiro0727
Got them from my local Weber dealer here in Holland.

They come originally from the Weber Fireplace. Don't know if it's available in America.
Mr_Nas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #10863
smokainmuskoka
is one Smokin' Farker

Belaurora,

I've seen a thread where the brother sawed the top 2" or so off the top edge of the kettle "bowl", then inserted it into to top of the drum so the dome lid would seat properly. They had some gasket rope fixed to the rim of the insert to prvide a better seal. That might be an option you'd consider.
Here's a thread with one example: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=40875

Old 05-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #10864
sigpi906
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherrywood View Post
After a lot of advice from Outnumbered and reading this thread until my eyes were bleeding, I figured it was time to get one built.

I looked for a couple weeks on CL and couldnt find a used Weber kettle for a decent price, so I grabbed a CharBroil kettle from Menards that was on sale for $38. I figured that was a decent price for a lid & grate. The lid didn't fit. Since I'm not a welder I got a little creative with a 6' stick of aluminum and a riveter.

What size intake did you go with? Are those 1" pipes and ball valves?

I'm really liking the aluminum ring idea. I've got a little hand riveter... I might need to make use of it now
sigpi906 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #10865
N2entropy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I am building my first UDS and have the same issue with the Uniflame lid being too small to fit. Here is the link to my build thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...=1#post2475371

QUOTE:

"So I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about welding the Uniflame dome to the original drum lid. My drum lid has a nice tight seal. The real issue may be whether I am a good enough welder to weld two THIN pieces of metal together. I have had lots of practice in the last couple of days and have gotten much better. I know there was someone who did this and I was hoping they would chime in. It it really difficult to weld the two together. I was planning on spot welding in 4 places and then doing very short spot welds around the perimeter, maybe 2 seconds for each spot.

Or would it be easier to just buy a piece of metal or aluminum and bend it inside the drum like in the above posts?

Anyone with experience welding the two pieces together? I am using flux core. I don't have a bottle of gas yet.

By the way this thread ROCKS!!
Thank you all so much for your help. I hope some others find what I have done to be useful too."

Reply:
I've done this a couple of times! DO NOT try and weld a bead..... just keep doing pulse welds until your all the way around. It will take FOREVER it seems but I crank out a lid in about 45 Min. The trick really is setting your heat in mid range and wire speed slow. you only want enough heat to melt the lid and rim together in a spot weld and any filler you add to that, you will need to grind off. space your spot welds about every 1/4" and remember that your trigger pull should only be long enough for you to say "ON" and release. move 1/4", and repeat. keep this up until you start overlapping welds to make it leak free.
Post pics or questions if you can.

Last edited by N2entropy; 05-10-2013 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: Missed original quote
N2entropy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #10866
Heisenberger
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpi906 View Post

I'm really liking the aluminum ring idea. I've got a little hand riveter... I might need to make use of it now
To add to this, what size U-bolts did you use? Are they stainless steel? I like this idea better than regular bolts
Heisenberger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #10867
funugy
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector View Post
Building my first UDS. Just ordered a Pitmaster IQ for it. My question is, if I am using the temp. regulator, then do I need the other two air vents in the bottom of the UDS?
I use the IQ110 on my UDS and love it. Yes, I would recommend 1 or 2 more intakes. Even though the IQ will maintain the temp, when starting up it is nice to open the other valve to speed things along. Also, I find that with the other valve closed I only get temps to 275* and below. I normally cook around 250* so it isn't much of a problem, but at times I like to do stuff (i.e. chicken) at 325* and for some reason the IQ struggles to keep it there with no other valve open. I just open another valve and let the IQ regulate the temp.
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #10868
Cherrywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpi906 View Post

They're 3/4". There is a third nipple on the back with just a cap. Outside of lighting the coals, the cap stays on. Usually only have 1 valve 1/4 open when cooking at 275-300.

I used a cheapo hand riveter and it worked great. I just worked my way around with a vice grip and 1/8" drill bit. Left a small gap for the thermometer leads.
Cherrywood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #10869
Cherrywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberger View Post
To add to this, what size U-bolts did you use? Are they stainless steel? I like this idea better than regular bolts
I think they were 1 1/2" stainless u bolts. I used zinc nuts on the outside. The u bolts allow you to rotate the rack easier.
Cherrywood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #10870
mike1976
Got rid of the matchlight.

hey there, any chance you still have that materials list in a word doc ? would be awesome if you want to share it. thanks

mike
[email protected]
mike1976 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #10871
aarondramp
Found some matches.

So I am building my UDS and got some hog rings. The only ones I could find were galvanized. Do I need to torch them with my weed burner? All of my hardware is SS but couldn't find SS hog rings.
aarondramp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #10872
aarondramp
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondramp View Post
So I am building my UDS and got some hog rings. The only ones I could find were galvanized. Do I need to torch them with my weed burner? All of my hardware is SS but couldn't find SS hog rings.
Can anyone help me out on this one?
aarondramp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #10873
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondramp View Post
Can anyone help me out on this one?
Soak them in an acid solution or hit them with a propane torch to remove the coating. Be sure to stay downwind from the fumes.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #10874
jcinadr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector View Post
I use a BBQ Guru II (I think I have a 25cfm fan, but that is a wag). Anyway, one fan hole is more then enough to put flames out the top of my barrel during light up (does it now, pretty sure it did the same on v1). Originally I had a 3 hole, and ended up plugging 2 and just hooking the fan to the first. Since I had NO diffuser - this caused my fire to be rather off center. I currently have a very effective diffuser (extreme overkill I suspect). I suspect a standard Guru diffuser would have worked fine (which just causes the fan to blow across the inside wall of the barrel) - and if I was a betting person, I suspect your unit will have some sort of rudimentary diffuser as well.

As for overkill - I have my fan underneeth the barrel and I have a 12 guage diffuser the same diameter of the barrel. I cut 1" tabs all the way around the diffuser and bent 1/2 of them down (making feet). As such I have 1" squarish holes spaced every inch around the outside edge of the drum.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #10875
RustyPup
Got Wood.

I got my UDS built and seasoned. I hesitate to call it "done" because I still need to add a therm and some handles, but it's usable. Before and after pics below.

For those contemplating a UDS build and feel a bit overwhelmed, let me offer a few suggestions.

1.) For drums, parts, supplies, etc... check your local scrap metal dealers. If you're the type who has to use a digital device for everything, go to your favorite search engine and type in "scrap metals" and your zip code. You'll get a ton of listings. If you're old like me and still use (gasp, cough, wheeze) a book, look in the yellow pages under Scrap Metals and you'll find them as well. I got my drum for $8, and a piece of 9 gauge expanded steel 9" wide and 48" long for the charcoal basket for $5 from a scrap metal dealer here locally. They let me take my lid in with me and pick out the exact drum I wanted. This is what they do - they buy and sell scrap metal parts, pieces, odds, and ends (and isn't that what we're looking for?) You pay just slightly higher than the scrap price for the piece you're looking for, and 9 times out of 10, if you need something cut to a certain size, they can do it for you right there.

2.) KEEP YOUR FIRST BUILD SIMPLE! It's been said almost, but not quite, a bazillion times, it but warrants repeating. I'm sure everyone who reads this thread immediately comes up with about 250 different modifications they'd love to do to the standard UDS design. That's great. Mod on McDuff. But don't you think you should learn how to use and try the food out of a UDS to make sure you like it before you start experimenting with something that's been proven to work? I know, some folks just have to try to reinvent the wheel. Like I said before, mod away. But if you're the kind who wants to cook and eat rather than build, tinker, toss out, and try again, keep the first build simple. Mod on your second build (and believe me, you'll want a second build...)

3.) I'm not going to tell you to read this entire thread before you build. I will say that you should read most of it before you start, but you should be good to go if you've read up to at least page 250. I didn't read the whole thing before I started (I'm on page 567, but I'll admit that I also read from page 700 to this page as well.) I kept reading as I built mine, and yes, all of your questions are answered somewhere in there. I know - it's a LOT of info to wade through. I figured out what style of UDS I wanted to build (Weber lid on a closed head drum,) took notes on that style of drum, and basically ran with it from there. Still, reading this entire thread WILL answer any question you have, give you new ideas, give you links to resources and recipes, and give you some insight as to what worked and what didn't.

4.) Use stainless or unplated hardware wherever possible. I know - stainless is a bit more expensive than zinc plated. So what? At Lowe's, I paid $1.40 apiece for 6 SS bolts. That's $8.40. Big, fat, hairy deal. It's a one-time expense. I got the nuts and washers in the blister packs of 10 at the same store for $2. It's no big deal! You'll spend more in one month on charcoal. Forget the whole zinc is/isn't toxic argument and remember that SS won't rust. That's reason enough for me.

5.) Don't stress over this! It's all about good food and relaxation. At the end of the day it's a drum with a fire in it that you cook on - don't forget that. It's not worth working yourself up over. If it turns out that you mis-measured and your cooking grill is only 22 inches above the bottom of your charcoal basket, who cares? Trust me when I say that nobody is gonna come over to your house, smack you around, and take it away from you. There is no such thing as a perfect smoker!

At the very least, I would highly recommend reading Norco's excellent thread before you build - here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43943

Summing up: relax, have fun, burn it or blast it, (or both, like I did,) build it, and learn to use it. OH! And bring napkins - you'll need lots...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UD 2.jpg (55.0 KB, 722 views)
File Type: jpg UD Build 17.jpg (52.2 KB, 723 views)

Thanks from:--->

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker