I made butter - with pics!

BBQ Bacon

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Have seen it a few times and have made it with my mom, but this is a first for me. Instead of using the mixer I chose to do it in a mason jar. So you also get a good workout!

43435366834_7579e1d156_z_d.jpg

For starters I put too much in the jar. Only half full would be better.

43247906855_e250300c2f_z_d.jpg

After a couple minutes of vigorous shaking.

43247908475_5c54c90b5c_z_d.jpg

After about 5 minutes of shaking.

43435367764_02e31fa93f_z_d.jpg

After about 8 minutes it became apparent that I started with too much whipping cream as there was no more room to shake. Thankfully we were having raspberry scones for breakfast, so we scooped off some and added sugar to it.

43247906585_337917f776_z_d.jpg

After about 10 minutes you can see butter!

43435367664_027c49fca9_z_d.jpg

After another minute or so it was just butter and buttermilk left.

43247906515_d0383aaae1_z_d.jpg

43247908135_0d4dfc278c_z_d.jpg

I strained off the buttermilk to use for cooking, then rinsed the butter under cold water.

43435367574_accf986047_z_d.jpg

Then I added salt to the butter and gave it a good mix. It turned out pretty well.

43247907865_37077d1806_z_d.jpg

Something some of you may want to try with your kids or grandkids to give them a great memory.

Thanks for looking.

So you literally just shake it until its butter? Never even remotely thought to do this

Yep. When my mom did it she used her stand mixer, but you have to be Johnny on the spot as once it turns to butter if you don't turn off the mixer, you have buttermilk flying every where!

So you literally just shake it until its butter? Never even remotely thought to do this

I've done this same method before but I used a bigger mason jar....you get everything really cold and literally just start shaking and shaking and shaking and shaking and then if finally separates. It's really cool.

Nice job OP.

Nice. I use to watch my grandma make butter like that. It can give you a good workout. Not sure if you know, but technically you don't have buttermilk. Buttermilk is what is left after making butter from fermented cream or milk. You made sweet butter, so there is no cultures in your milk. If you haven't ever made true buttermilk, you should give it a try. Makes fantastic biscuits, and is very high in probiotics.

I assume Heavy whipping Cream works

The grand kids would love this :thumb:

Nice!...Remember doing this in the 5th grade....many many years ago...passed jar up/down the aisles and all the kids gave it some shakes...then spread on some crackers for a little treat!....I'll have to re-visit this...thanks for the memories!! :clap2::clap2:

Nice!...Remember doing this in the 5th grade....many many years ago...passed jar up/down the aisles and all the kids gave it some shakes...then spread on some crackers for a little treat!....I'll have to re-visit this...thanks for the memories!! :clap2::clap2:

Yeah, I learned this in 4H. I used to love putting some fresh sweet butter on a piece of toast or a biscuit. I need to show the kids how to do this soon. Thanks for the reminder!

I might start looking for a second hand paint shaker...:thumb:

It doesn't have to be shaken. Any agitation will do. Like BBQ bacon said you can use a mixer. You can also use a food processor or an ice cream machine that uses a paddle. Of course you could also get a butter churn. The jar is just the cheapest method.

I remember my Mom and Grandmother sitting on the front porch making butter with an old fashioned churn.

There are some things you learn as a child that stay with you forever. Some of these things only have to be experienced once to learn never to repeat them. I remember how pretty the cherry red sides of the pot bellied stove looked. It only took one touch to learn that lesson. The other lessons involved begging to be allowed to help churn butter and turn the crank on the ice cream freezer. None of those experiences were as pleasant as they appeared to be from a distance.

Back