MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Another Simply Marvelous Wedding

Country and I went to cook with Big Brother Smoke again this weekend. He had a wedding for about 175 people somewhere north of Santa Barbara. I lost track of where we were after riding so long.

The wedding was at a secluded spot way up in the hills overlooking the ocean. Beautiful Spot. Gorgeous view. Only one problem. You had to get up there.

I don't know who finds these spots but they must be adrenalin junkies or something. To get up there we had to drive up this one lane dirt road on the side of the mountain. And I don't mean one lane each way. The only guard rail was some tall weeds. I'm pretty sure at times, two of our wheel were hanging over edge. We were all leaning to the left just to be safe. It was like being in an Indiana Jones movie. I just put my life in God's hands and closed my eyes.

Anyway once we got to the top, our team went into motion. Big Brother Smoke handed out job assignments and we went to work. Country and I worked the grill. Glenn and Cindy(the new cutie) set up the bar. Mr. MacGyver (Cliff) made sure everyone had everything they needed. Drill Sargeant Jamie and the servers went to work on the sides and the Table Scapes. Big Brother Smoke was high-level management and basically keeping the wedding party out of our way so we could do our jobs.

Big Brother Smoke threw Country and I a curve ball before the serving started. He had some flu symptoms and didn't want to handle the food so we were going to be carving the tri-tip. How is this for a picture?

We served Tri-tip, Tequila Lime Chicken, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, BBQ Beans and Mixed Greens with ranch dressing.

The reception went off without a hitch and I was proud to be a part of such an efficient team. We got several compliments on the food and the service. This was another Simply Marvelous wedding.

You can check out some of the pics here:

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...view=slideshow

I will post more pics tonight when I upload them.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Sounds like a great team !!!

Where is the pic of new cutie??

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
Bigmista

In the photobucket slide show. Do I have to do everything? BBS doesn't pay me enough for this...

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Old 09-22-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
Bigmista

Here ya go!

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Old 09-22-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Those hideaway spots make life interesting. Nice job!!
Old 09-22-2008, 08:20 PM   #6
big brother smoke

Thanks, Neil for doing the write up! You know rough terrain comes with the BBQ business. I took the rig up and down said road, no problem ( I did go a day early to avoid drama, and come down a day after the gig, no place for pulling a trailer at night)! I guess, I can be an adrenaline junkie, I love driving hills and mountains! However, I did do a double take when the caretaker wanted me te back down the hill, so that I could back the rig into the designated location. I could not see because the back of the truck was packed to capacity, I was depending solely on the guidance of the caretaker
If I farked up you might as well put your head between your leg and kiss your meatballs goodbye!

You guys did me proud! Yea, I was not taking a chance on getting someone sick and I know I got symptoms, that's just foolishness!

The "drill sargeant" says she thinks I should not be carving anymore for big events as weddings. Too many other details to wade through during event she says! So, guess what? You guys be carving now on at big events

One more thing, when I retrieved the rig yesterday afternoon, the wedding couple and parents were up there as well gathering their remaining items and they were very complimentary and hugging me. They said we were flawless and had the timing down to the tee! That my friend is all about you guys! I was just smart enough to wade through a few employees to find the right team. And of course the "Drill Sargeant!"

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers

Last edited by big brother smoke; 09-22-2008 at 10:20 PM..
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:41 PM   #7
MilitantSquatter

great pics & update !!! Seems like a success in all ways.

The outfits look sharp too...
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:53 PM   #8
lazybonesmoke1
Full Fledged Farker

Big brotha how much does that setup go for on the west coast? How do you get such cool catering jobs?:
lazybonesmoke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:31 PM   #9
big brother smoke

Deni,

Works out to about $53 per, based on 196 people. However, you are putting out alot of expense for rentals, supplies, tablescapes, appetizers, staffing, tastings, other bills you have to keep the business going.