MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
Megawhatt
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default How To Prepare Ribs

Going to attempt my first ribs this weekend on the Akorn. Never made ribs before and I believe what my supermarket sells are spare ribs. I'm ok with rubbing and cooking them, but do I need to cut them first? Or can I just take them out of the package and start rubbing them down?
Megawhatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would wash them. You can cook them just as they come or trim them to a St. Louis cut. You can also remove the membrane on the bone side.

It's all good

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
slammmed
Full Fledged Farker

Watch this

and this

slammmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Easiest way....take them out and cut any giant pieces of fat hanging off. If there's aren't any obvious hangers forget cutting. Rub them down and put them on. Don't worry about the membrane, trimming, etc as you can always try that in the future. Keep it simple...you'll like the results...

Old 07-19-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
drjiveturkey
On the road to being a farker

Here is a rub I like to use. I use it for most meats:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
1 tablespoon of each: black pepper, salt, chili powder, cayenne powder, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning.

Remove membrane if you like your ribs tender but not too fall off the bone. If you like them fall off the bone I would suggest to leave it on so it doesn't fall apart later when taking off the grill.

Rub them with yellow mustard then apply dry rub. Smoke with apple and pecan wood at 250-325. At the higher temps it should be done around 3.5-4.5 hrs with no foil. Longer at lower temps even with foiling. Optional, You can apply a wet mop every hour for the first few hours (apple juice and vinegar). They will be done when they will bend and crack when picking them up with some tongs. Apply sauce if desired and cook over direct heat to caramalize the glaze.

Good luck!
drjiveturkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
drjiveturkey

I forgot to mention if they are spares, you can trim them to St. Louis cuts or cook me whole. If you cook them whole remove the flap just to clean it up a little.
drjiveturkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

I cook them untrimmed, but here is how to trim them.
"How to cut St Louis Style Spares (Tutorial) - The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS."
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=98483
For the membrane, tease up a corner near the middle of the ribs, grab it with a paper towel, and pull it off. Place them on the grill, and cook till a toothpick inserted meets little resistance. I cook untrimmed spares at 250 degrees for 4 hours, then check them.It will take longer each time you peek.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
Tsevg9

If they are spares, I like cutting them down to St. Louis style and rib tips (my wife likes the tips because they come out drier) Peel off the membrane from the St. Louis cut. Rub them down, throw them on the UDS using the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours uncovered, 2 hours foiled in beer and apple juice, 1 hour uncovered with thin sauce.