MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:47 PM   #1
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong
Default Concession trailer + pit

Ideally you would buy them together, but if one has to come first, do you get the trailer and then find a pit for it? Or buy the pit you want and retrofit it to the trailer later on?

Old 02-26-2018, 06:57 AM   #2
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

In this section, this broken record continues to spin... If your going to be selling in your local area know the health department rules.

I purchased a trailer, with an open porch back in 2013. Slapped a Pitmaker Vault on the back for space considerations, added a grillmeister for Dogs and Burgers and submitted my plans to the City.

Here in Houston, any"wood burning appliance" must be in an enclosed environment. So, I basically had to build walls around my"porch". But wait there's more.....

Because my pits were now in an enclosed space, I now needed to have an exhaust fan for EACH! Well, the grill came out and was sold and one fan was added for the vault. Dollars were adding up.

Knowing what can or will be approved can help you in your decision. Also, as has been mentioned, pits like FEC's and Old Hickory's / SP's meet all the criteria to easily pass inspection.

Good luck in your journey!
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-26-2018, 07:40 AM   #3
nachos4life
Take a breath!

I agree with RangerJ.

I had my Shirley RF offset prior to my porch trailer. I decided i wanted to use it on the porch so we had to cut it from its own trailer and fabricate legs, etc, and then use a forklift to get it on the porch.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:01 PM   #4
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

It sounds like most people just buy the pit that will get them approved by the health department.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #5
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

I had the grand idea that I was going to tow my trailer and smoker in tandem behind my truck. I had seen people pulling campers with boats hitched to the camper so it never occurred to me that it might not be legal. Lo and behold, in Illinois it is unless the trailer is a gooseneck or fifth wheel. I figured I would be ok to do it because I have a CDL and I'm licensed to haul double/triple trailers. Nope. My smoker weighs 3000 lbs. so fabricating a porch on the trailer was a non-starter.

So now I either borrow another truck to haul the smoker or prepare the food ahead of time and leave the smoker at home. This summer we'll probably give in and trade in our car for an SUV or truck so we can take the smoker with us when we want.

Just another cautionary tale to think about.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:49 PM   #6
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Default Concession trailer + pit

For me at least, half of the appeal of buying bbq from a trailer/truck is to see how the meat was smoked. Even if the pit is puffing smoke for show.

I’ve been rethinking my Shirley Fab trailer order since I’m a bit more serious about taking the next step to vend. Appreciate all of the input guys.