MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #1
Mankite
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Myron Mixon gravity feed vs water cookers

Any owners of either out there. Looking for feedback as both look interesting.
Mankite is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->

Old 02-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #2
Mankite
Knows what a fatty is.

Any owners?

Old 02-14-2018, 09:47 PM   #3
D-Fuse
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Dan

I don't own one, but there is a food truck that just started up in town. He has the mixon water cooker, and I really enjoy his bbq. Probably not the answer you're looking for, but that's all I got.
D-Fuse is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-15-2018, 10:38 AM   #4
Mankite
Knows what a fatty is.

I guess because of the price they probably are pretty rare.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:07 AM   #5
Smoking Piney
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I went to Myron's cook class last fall and the food the students prepped was cooked on his water cookers. While the students didn't handle the pits, we did eat LOTS of food coming off of them -some really good Q.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #6
D-Fuse
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Dan

Was that class worth going to? I've been thinking about it and maybe one day would like to go.
D-Fuse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2018, 01:56 PM   #7
-Chris-
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankite View Post
Any owners of either out there. Looking for feedback as both look interesting.
I have a MMS-36 water smoker that I bought a few weeks ago. I have been meaning to write a review of it, what are your questions?

Thanks,
Chris
-Chris- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2018, 04:13 PM   #8
Smoking Piney

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Fuse View Post
Was that class worth going to? I've been thinking about it and maybe one day would like to go.
PM me and I'll fill you in. I don't want to hijack this thread.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS

Old 02-15-2018, 04:15 PM   #9
Mankite
Knows what a fatty is.

Just how satisfied you are with it. Any negatives so far and what cookers you’ve had before to reference.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:20 PM   #10
-Chris-

Quote:
Just how satisfied you are with it. Any negatives so far and what cookers you’ve had before to reference.
Well, my first "real" smoker was a Big Green Egg I bought 10 years ago. I wanted to cook over wood and I wanted more capacity than the BGE could provide. I live in Massachusetts so I was looking for an insulated smoker like my BGE. My first cook was 20 degrees and breezy and the cook went really well. So far I am really pleased, the water pan is nice, but I have the task of disposing of 3 gallons of fatty water after every smoke. I just drain it in a bucket and dump it in the woods. I may start smoking in trays so the water is cleaner when I dispose of it where the smoker is located. It is clearly factory made and super high quality, all the welds are perfect, the finish is nice and everything fits together perfectly.

No negatives so far, I have cooked brisket, pork butt, ribs, and cheese on it so far. It works great with an A-maze-n tube for cold smoking.

Chris

Old 02-15-2018, 05:34 PM   #11
Smoking Piney

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
Well, my first "real" smoker was a Big Green Egg I bought 10 years ago. I wanted to cook over wood and I wanted more capacity than the BGE could provide. I live in Massachusetts so I was looking for an insulated smoker like my BGE. My first cook was 20 degrees and breezy and the cook went really well. So far I am really pleased, the water pan is nice, but I have the task of disposing of 3 gallons of fatty water after every smoke. I just drain it in a bucket and dump it in the woods. I may start smoking in trays so the water is cleaner when I dispose of it where the smoker is located. It is clearly factory made and super high quality, all the welds are perfect, the finish is nice and everything fits together perfectly.

No negatives so far, I have cooked brisket, pork butt, ribs, and cheese on it so far. It works great with an A-maze-n tube for cold smoking.

Chris
I looked his cookers over at the cook class. They're seriously well built and the cookers used for the students have seen lots of use and still looked good.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS

Last edited by Smoking Piney; 02-15-2018 at 06:14 PM..

Old 02-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #12
Mankite
Knows what a fatty is.

Has anyone used one without water in it? Wonder how that effects the end result.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:14 AM   #13
-Chris-

Quote:
Has anyone used one without water in it? Wonder how that effects the end result.
The instructions are very clear not to operate the smoker without water in the pan as it could cause it to warp. That being said, the water pan really doesn't start a rolling boil unless the pit is at least 300 degrees. I smoke around 275 so my pan doesn't boil. I use a water pan in my BGE, so I am a big fan of them. I am actually thinking about trying to use my BBQ Guru Digi-Q and charcoal in the smoker so I can let it run overnight. At 225 degrees, there is no chance the water pan would boil, but I would keep water in it anyway.

You asked about things I dislike about the smoker.
1. The casters, while super high quality with grease fittings nice brakes are useless over soft ground. I wish it had pneumatic tires and a pull bar to steer it. It is super easy to move on concrete or pavement, but gravel gets super dicey. I think they use the hard rubber tires due to the fact that the water pan needs to be level during operation.
2. I wish the water pan was stainless and removable. Although the water pan is heavy gauge steel and coating in grease it is obviously going to be the first failure point of the overbuilt smoker. Since it is only attached at the ends and by the water drain, removing it should not be terrible when the time eventually comes.
3. I wish the front shelf/tray was maybe 16-18" instead of the 12" it is. Makes it hard to wrap brisket or ribs.

Another thing I like is it is so overbuilt you can grab and pull it to move it anywhere. The smokestacks are 1/8" steel, the shelf is really thick, the water filler is stupid heavy. You have to move this 700 pound beast? Grab anywhere and pull!

Chris

1 members found this post helpful.