Hot Water Hoe Cakes- Throw Back Thursday

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Finished up yesterday’s brisket stew. Thought about a lot of things to go with it. Ended up with something I had quite a bit as a child. Hot Water Hoe Cakes. Growing up Mom would fry them in bacon or sausage grease. I used butter. A little Boz Scaggs (sp) playing on a drizzly overcast day.

Last edited:
Poor mans pancake. They really are good fried in bacon or sausage grease topped with butter and maple syrup.

Cooking for two

Boil one cup water in MW
Add 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
Pepper
Stir till thickened

Cook like a pancake in your choice of fat. Lightly salted after removed from skillet.

We called it corn meal mush growing up.

Heck yeah! Corn meal mush.... brings back memories too. lol
Thanks Adams!

Cool cook Adams!

We called them corn pancakes when I was growing up. I think my mom put in baking soda and a touch of vanilla if I remember right.

Cool cook Adams!

We called them corn pancakes when I was growing up. I think my mom put in baking soda and a touch of vanilla if I remember right.

I’m going to ask Mom. I bet she did something similar. We didn’t always have Aunt Jemima or Mrs Butterworth but we always had Karo. She made a lot of cakes/pie/candy. She would make a syrup from that with butter/vanilla. Whatever berry blue black raspberry etc was growing she’d make a boiled simple syrup using those. I’m guessing these were kind of like chili or peanut butter pancakes. Back in the day you’d gorge on whatever was in seaso on the vine or falling off the tree.

A comfort food of folkways And mores.

Back