MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:00 AM   #13096
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom
Default Stubby UDS

We have a female family friend who is vertically challenged but really wants a UDS.
N8man had built a short UDS quite a few years ago. His chicken cooker. I don't believe those photos are still available. A quick few designs/measurements. Off to build in this teen's to below zero weather.
I got a used drum, cut the height to 24" tall. I'll use the cut off top to make a firepit for said person.
With the 24" drum, 7.5" legs ( I added wheels on the rear for easy mobility). That brings the drum/top grill grate to 32" high. Same as a Weber kettle.
6" down from the top grate is the second grate. 4" below that for holding a drip pan/diffuser. 3" legs on the coal basket ( she won't be doing overnight cooks). Lots of room above the coal basket if mods are required.
2-1.5" pipe elbows for intakes (she wants to be able to do pizza's). 2- magnets to control intakes. Same as all my other cookers. Water proof and easy to adjust/use in any weather.
I rolled a metal ring that I inserted/welded into the hole I cut where the original 5 hole exh was. The original exh was NEVER going to seal! Stupid location on the radius of the lid for a Weber copy exh. Both top/bottom edges wouldn't touch the lid. So this is how I fixed that. Trying to keep this on the cheap side.
The drum needed handles for easy moving. 2- welding hammers..cool touch handles. $6 ea. Another hammer for the lid handle.
Handle/bar on the side to hold the lid and tongs etc. The hammer handles are great for hanging your cooking grates on.
17" Weber coal grate with 6" high expanded metal.
To cold to paint the thing. It was 18* out when I brought it outside to fire it up. (14* inside my garage) I know I can not see all that well anymore. But a frosted up welding helmet sure doesn't help. Just don't breath when the helmet is on.

I fired the stubby up using only used coals from my other drum. No wood added. 25 mins and I'm at 600* and holding. Let that ride for 20 or so minutes. Brought the temp down to 275* and let it go for another hour. I'll be smoking a couple fatties soon.
Wife doesn't want me to paint it. She thinks it looks like R2D2. We'll see what the the friend wants.
This drum was for holding canola oil. No liner.

geshack.com/i/poJ2NpGtj][/URL]
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 02-09-2018, 10:05 AM   #13097
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
We have a female family friend who is vertically challenged but really wants a UDS.
N8man had built a short UDS quite a few years ago. His chicken cooker. I don't believe those photos are still available. A quick few designs/measurements. Off to build in this teen's to below zero weather.
I got a used drum, cut the height to 24" tall. I'll use the cut off top to make a firepit for said person.
With the 24" drum, 7.5" legs ( I added wheels on the rear for easy mobility). That brings the drum/top grill grate to 32" high. Same as a Weber kettle.
6" down from the top grate is the second grate. 4" below that for holding a drip pan/diffuser. 3" legs on the coal basket ( she won't be doing overnight cooks). Lots of room above the coal basket if mods are required.
2-1.5" pipe elbows for intakes (she wants to be able to do pizza's). 2- magnets to control intakes. Same as all my other cookers. Water proof and easy to adjust/use in any weather.
I rolled a metal ring that I inserted/welded into the hole I cut where the original 5 hole exh was. The original exh was NEVER going to seal! Stupid location on the radius of the lid for a Weber copy exh. Both top/bottom edges wouldn't touch the lid. So this is how I fixed that. Trying to keep this on the cheap side.
The drum needed handles for easy moving. 2- welding hammers..cool touch handles. $6 ea. Another hammer for the lid handle.
Handle/bar on the side to hold the lid and tongs etc. The hammer handles are great for hanging your cooking grates on.
17" Weber coal grate with 6" high expanded metal.
To cold to paint the thing. It was 18* out when I brought it outside to fire it up. (14* inside my garage) I know I can not see all that well anymore. But a frosted up welding helmet sure doesn't help. Just don't breath when the helmet is on.

I fired the stubby up using only used coals from my other drum. No wood added. 25 mins and I'm at 600* and holding. Let that ride for 20 or so minutes. Brought the temp down to 275* and let it go for another hour. I'll be smoking a couple fatties soon.
Wife doesn't want me to paint it. She thinks it looks like R2D2. We'll see what the the friend wants.
This drum was for holding canola oil. No liner.
]

great work as always

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-10-2018, 02:18 PM   #13098
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

I didn't realize luchador put his drum on Craigslist

https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/fo...456667242.html

Old 02-10-2018, 02:37 PM   #13099
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
I didn't realize luchador put his drum on Craigslist

https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/fo...456667242.html
That's my stick burner. And stick burners just don't do anything for me. Not enough flavor

Last edited by el luchador; 02-10-2018 at 02:44 PM..
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2018, 11:36 PM   #13100
OferL
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post

...2-1.5" pipe elbows for intakes (she wants to be able to do pizza's)...

A very nice innovative build.
I'm curious about the pizza comment. What does that mean?
OferL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2018, 12:59 AM   #13101
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OferL View Post
that much intake will allow for high heat cooking

Old 02-11-2018, 05:10 AM   #13102
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
Thanks.
Yes alot of folks like to do high heat sears and cook pizza above 500*
I was able to hit 600* using just used coals. Without using lump or wood sticks.
Using lump and wood sticks. This little unit should be able to hit 700*. Once a pizza stone is set on the grate. Full open intakes and exhaust.
Another advantage I see is. Easy mobility. The unit is short enough you won't ruin your clothes leaning over/into the drum to grab the coal basket. Shorter lift. 2 grates for cooking when required.
Sure you can not hang full racks of BB ribs. But 1/2 racks, chickens etc no problem.
I'm really liking this little drum. I might have to build one for myself. With the drum top firepit ( had to buy a fire place grate). I have $300 total invested. Could be done a bit cheaper. But building for a friend and being her first drum. I wanted as much new as possible. I also bought welding gloves, chimney starter cubes, chimney etc. Everything needed to cook except coal/wood chunks.
First cook/break-in fatties. While those were smoking I boiled up some brats in beer/peppers/onions/garlic. Grilled those after the fatties were done.

Thanks for looking.
Side note. I am not sure why this little unit uses/requires more intake and exhaust to run 275* than any of my full size drums or my horizontal drum. It does use less coals/wood then full size.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2018, 01:22 PM   #13103
MeridianBlades
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Larry
Default build pics

More pics from my build.... vent cover is next.

MeridianBlades is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2018, 06:34 AM   #13104
MeridianBlades
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Larry
Default couple more pics of vent / latch / hinge

MeridianBlades is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2018, 07:36 AM   #13105
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

looking good meridian, looking GOOD

Old 02-13-2018, 08:53 AM   #13106
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

I cant believe I didn't post this here.

this is the graph of a 26 hour pork butt I did, just for giggles.

I filled the firebox half full with briquettes. firebox is 12"high, 17" diameter.

after 26 hours(22hours at 180°, 4.5hours at 200°) it still had almost half the lump charcoal left unburned

cooking direct over the coals is VERY efficient. I wouldn't be surprised if its as efficient as, or more efficient than , a kamado with a plate setter.

Heatermeter kept temps ROCK SOLID

Old 02-14-2018, 12:51 AM   #13107
OferL
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
I cant believe I didn't post this here.

this is the graph of a 26 hour pork butt I did, just for giggles.

I filled the firebox half full with briquettes. firebox is 12"high, 17" diameter.
26 hrs and you only opened the lid twice. That's character.

after 26 hours(22hours at 180°, 4.5hours at 200°) it still had almost half the lump charcoal left unburned

cooking direct over the coals is VERY efficient. I wouldn't be surprised if its as efficient as, or more efficient than , a kamado with a plate setter.

Heatermeter kept temps ROCK SOLID

UDS is some kind of magic. I see this behavior with my tmp app every time I use it.
26 hrs and you only opened the lid twice. That's character
OferL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2018, 08:11 AM   #13108
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
UDS is some kind of magic. I see this behavior with my tmp app every time I use it.
26 hrs and you only opened the lid twice. That's character

Thank you :) and I agree. " UDS is some kind of magic"

I moved the meat to the top grate so I could probe through the exhaust. I was doing an experiment and wanted to keep the temps as stable as possible.

most of the time I wasn't even around to open the lid. lets see, I slept, then went to work, then went to the gym all while this thing was going. Its great to have a set and forget cooker.

the one big thing I noticed from cooking that long is that the smoke went deeper into the meat than ever before. not more smoke, just deeper smoke if that makes sense at all.

Last edited by el luchador; 02-14-2018 at 08:29 AM..
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2018, 09:23 AM   #13109
Bigfish8
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Ken

Hello:

I joined (accepted to) the site yesterday and have signed-up for a subscription this morning. I, as many of you, own/use several pieces of outdoor grilling/smoking equipment. My drum smoker is a made from a stainless steel drum with the Big Poppa conversion kit. Since I cannot conduct searches here yet, I have a question and I hope this is the appropriate location.

The bottom-side of my drum lid gets a build-up of a black, greasy, tar-like yuk (best description I can give it). We built a smoker for a friend who used a mild steel drum with the same Big Poppa kit. The bottom side of his lid does not get the yuk build-up. Both drums get used a lot (butts, chicken, ribs, prime rib and brisket). Do you think I am getting the build-up because of the difference in the medal of the drums or is the under the lid build-up considered normal? Other than scrape it with a putty knife I have no clue how to remove it.

I have found the drum to be a very useful and excellent smoker. For me, it requires just the right amount of attention - not set it and forget it but also not demanding once it gets to tempt. I have cooked on it for 20 hours with single fill of charcoal.

Thanks,

Ken
Bigfish8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2018, 09:27 AM   #13110
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

I have a regular steel drum and I get sweaty drippings when it is cold out... or if I am running a temp below 275. From my experience, a higher temp would be able to vaporize most of the moisture buildup.

What are your temps? Any water pans?

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker