Virtual Brunswick Stew cooking day...

I will play.

What is Brunswick Stew? Guess I need to work out a recipe.

I will play.

What is Brunswick Stew? Guess I need to work out a recipe.

That sir is a question much along the lines of "fat cap or fat cap" down? Or "to slather or not to slather"...

There will be plenty of responses on what Brunswick Stew is and where it originated from.

Probably would need to have two competitions, Georgia Brunswick Stew and then everybody else's, since the only true brunswick comes from Georgia. :biggrin:
And I'm in!

Probably would need to have two competitions, Georgia Brunswick Stew and then everybody else's, since the only true brunswick comes from Georgia. :biggrin:
And I'm in!

First and foremost it's NOT a competition. Not a throwdown. Just some fun with the opportunity for some smack talk, which has officially started...

Well I,ve heard of it, but I don't know what it is...If I can figure out the ingrediants I'll give it a go!

firecrackerjack

well, I looked it up and it appears to be nothing more than a thick vegetable soup with squirrel or raccoon for meat.

got some cooking now :p

Pulled pork
Pulled chicken
2 cans - white/yellow corn
2 cans tomater sauce
1/2 bottle hot sauce
6 potatoes (peeled and cut into small pieces)
1 large onion diced
salt/pepper to taste
and lil bit of this and that :p

20090915.jpg

got some cooking now :p

Pulled pork
Pulled chicken
2 cans - white/yellow corn
2 cans tomater sauce
1/2 bottle hot sauce
6 potatoes (peeled and cut into small pieces)
1 large onion diced
salt/pepper to taste
and lil bit of this and that :p

I don't see squirrel or raccoon in your ingredient list. I think you may be disqualified. :biggrin:

Brunswick stew is one of those dishes like chili, there are a million different variations depending on the region. In Georgia, just about every BBQ joint will have their version of brunswick, and I've tried alot of them.

There are usually only about 3 ingredients in Georgia brunswick stew that are pretty common to all variations:
  1. Some type of BBQ meat, usually pulled pork, sometimes chicken.
  2. Tomato, either with ketchup, tomato sauce or diced tomatoes.
  3. Corn.
After that, it's going to vary considerably. Most BBQ places will also add their own BBQ sauce.
Some people use butterbeans, but I think they have been used more on home versions then the brunswick you'll find in BBQ joints, I've rarely seen it.

I'll post my own recipe soon with some pics, it is pretty easy to make and a good way to use up some BBQ you have lying around.
And landarc, you won't find squirrel or racoon meat in any brunswick, you need to stop getting your info from wikipedia. :-D

Last edited:
ok here is my recipe!! sorry, i used this recipe several times before i scanned it!!:biggrin:

Attachments

• 12-23-2006 02;58;42PM.jpg
    12-23-2006 02;58;42PM.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 66
As long as we're posting recipes, here's mine.....notice the lack of Game Meat. Add it at your own discretion....

Brunswick Stew

3 Lb. Whole Chicken, Cut Up
28 Oz. Can Crushed Maters
3 Lb. Stew Beef
28 Oz. Package Frozed Peg Corn
1/4 Lb. Hickory Smoked Bacon
28 Oz. Package Frozed Baby Limas
32 Oz. Box of Chicken Broth
1 Jar, Pickled Okra
1 Lb. Taters, Peeled and Diced
1/4 Cup Texas Pete
1 Lb. Taters, Peeled and Quartered
1/8 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 Large Onion, Chopped
3 Ribs Celery, Chopped
4 Tbls. Butter, Divided
5 Tsp. Sugar, Divided
3 Tbls. Magic Dust, Divided
3 Ancho Pepper Pods, Stemmed, Deseeded and Chopped
Salt, to Taste. Black Pepper, to Taste

In a Small Pot, Place Drained Okra and cover with water. On high heat bring it to a boil, remove from heat and let steep for 30 minutes. Drain, slice and set aside.
In a 12 Quart Pot, place Chicken, Bacon and Stew Beef and cover with water by an inch.
On high heat, uncovered, bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer for 1.5 hours. Remove meats. Skin and bone Chicken, chop Stew Beef and Bacon. Strain Pot Broth and return it with the meats to pot and return broth to a slow boil.
Add Taters, Onion, 1 Tbls. Butter, 1 Tsp. Sugar, 1 Tbls. Magic Dust and the Chopped Ancho Pepper.
Cook 1 Hour, Stirring every 15 minutes. Add water as needed to keep pot contents covered.
Remove Quartered Taters and rough Mash. Return to Pot.
Add Maters, 1 Tbls. Butter, 1 Tsp. Sugar, 1 Tbls. Magic Dust and Box Chicken Broth.
Cook 1 Hour, Stirring every 15 minutes.
Add Lima Beans, Okra, 1 Tbls. Butter, 1 Tbls. Magic Dust and 1 Tsp. Sugar.
Cook 1 Hour, Stirring every 15 minutes.
Add Corn and remaining ingredients, cooking for 20 minutes.
Remember to Stir that Pot!!!
Salt and Black Pepper to Taste.

I see several of you guys are plenty close enough to come to the libertytreebbq.com festival right here in my back yard, Dalton, Ga. Enter that contest and friday night you can cook yer brunswick stew and maybe win a 100 bucks. Go to libertytreebbq.com to go directly to the sight for the sign up forms.

Back