MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:05 AM   #1
BeastMode
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Catering prime rib

Hello brethren!

I just booked a catering gig in February for abiut 60-65 people for a medical corporation who are looking for "higher" end bbq. They specifically mentioned prime rib and/or brisket along with a white meat, baked potatoes , and mac n cheese. They want carving stations for each meat and a bake potato bar and salad station or another vegetable i should recommend. The organizer said there will mostly be doctors and other important people and want a fancy type set up and display.

I recommended prime rib and turkey breast. My question is should I buy and serve prime rib based on 1/2 inch slices? This is probably my 3rd official catering gig but first time catering prime rib. I can get the 15-17 lb Costco or Sams club bonless prime rib logs for around $130+ but may wait till Christmas time when they run their sales. I trying to figure out what to charge based on me setting up their fancy display and carving stations requirements. I really need to nail this thing because I feel it will bring me clientele of this type. Can any of you vets at doing this help a brethren out and throw ideas my way of how you would go about it and price it. They will have a meeting on Tuesday next week to discuss and I need to have a some pricing for them. Thanks!
BeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2017, 12:23 PM   #2
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Didn't see anyone respond yet. I hosted one with prime rib and turkey and I don't think any of the turkey was eaten at all. My recommendation: if these are doctors and rich people and you want to make an impression, don't scrimp. The last thing anybody wants is to come back to their seat wishing they had a bigger slice, or thinking they're going to have to go back 3 more times. If I wanted to make an impression, I'd have the carver set the knife about 3" from the end and say, "Is that enough, or would you like it larger?" Everyone will move the knife back to a 1/2" or 1" slice, but they will definitely comment at the table afterward and say how wonderful the caterer is. Doubling up on the prime rib is not going to set you back that much, $5 per person in meat cost, plan on 1" per person. That's not much to make a great impression and these people aren't going to bat an eye. They just want a good time. I've heard about a few of these events and they drop a lot of money on them. I have a friend still talking about one event where everyone had a 2" thick slab of prime rib, "too much to eat, but boy was it good." They all made sure to get that caterer every time.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 11-09-2017, 01:41 PM   #3
BeastMode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Didn't see anyone respond yet. I hosted one with prime rib and turkey and I don't think any of the turkey was eaten at all. My recommendation: if these are doctors and rich people and you want to make an impression, don't scrimp. The last thing anybody wants is to come back to their seat wishing they had a bigger slice, or thinking they're going to have to go back 3 more times. If I wanted to make an impression, I'd have the carver set the knife about 3" from the end and say, "Is that enough, or would you like it larger?" Everyone will move the knife back to a 1/2" or 1" slice, but they will definitely comment at the table afterward and say how wonderful the caterer is. Doubling up on the prime rib is not going to set you back that much, $5 per person in meat cost, plan on 1" per person. That's not much to make a great impression and these people aren't going to bat an eye. They just want a good time. I've heard about a few of these events and they drop a lot of money on them. I have a friend still talking about one event where everyone had a 2" thick slab of prime rib, "too much to eat, but boy was it good." They all made sure to get that caterer every time.
Thanks Gore! I'm thinking 3 15 lb and may one 10 lb roasts? When I do my prime rib I cook it to medium rare. Have you dealt with those who thought it was too "bloody" and wanted it to cook a little more or wanted to know if they could get a slice with a little less pink? I'll be holding the meat in a cvap and wouldn't have a hot grill to sear if requested. Hopefully it won't be an issue considering most people wanting prime should know how it's cooked properly.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:09 PM   #4
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode View Post
Thanks Gore! I'm thinking 3 15 lb and may one 10 lb roasts? When I do my prime rib I cook it to medium rare. Have you dealt with those who thought it was too "bloody" and wanted it to cook a little more or wanted to know if they could get a slice with a little less pink? I'll be holding the meat in a cvap and wouldn't have a hot grill to sear if requested. Hopefully it won't be an issue considering most people wanting prime should know how it's cooked properly.
You will get all types, of course, and it is best to be prepared, especially when catering. For the most part, people at these events are pretty forgiving because they've been to plenty and expect mediocre food. They all know exactly how it should be cooked, but unfortunately, they don't agree and it'll run the spectrum from rare all the way to well done. My brother is a doctor and he told me he went to when where he was given a large slab of prime rib that was cold and he couldn't even tell if it had been cooked. Said it was the strangest event he'd attended. The prime rib was served chilled and raw. He said it was pretty gross because prime rib is fatty and cold fat isn't pleasant to eat, but they just laughed off the nouveau cuisine. Usually you save the ends for those who like it well done, and there definitely will be some. I cooked prime rib for our neighbors from Texas one Christmas. We'd been friends for years and I thought I knew him. Boy was I wrong. His wife was cool though. I'd definitely have some prepared more toward the ruined end of the scale just in case my neighbor shows up with some of his friends. I know others have a pot of au jus that is hot and handy. For those wanting it well done, they simply cut a slice and keep it in the pot for a few minutes. The good thing about people who prefer their meat well done is that they don't typically eat a lot of meat.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 11-09-2017, 02:33 PM   #5
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Rib loins that size from Sam's or Costco will garner you approximatly 20 servings per loin (that's what I would figure since you're having two proteins). I always figure on 15 per, but that is for a single protein...and I always have leftover rib to bring home. Also, I have always allowed the customer standing in front of me to dictate the size. You'll get a few 1.5"ers, a bunch of 1"ers, and a few .5"ers. You never know the shape of the loin so going by thickness is strictly a guess (but every method is a guess I suppose). Some loins are shorter & fatter...others are longer & a bit more skinny.

Deciding what internal temp to get the loins has never really been an issue for me. I like cooking at a low temp and getting edge-to-edge color, but there's something to be said for cooking at 350 and getting multiple temps in the same loin. For the most part people are fine with med-rare. I never ask what temp they like...I just show them the side I'm cutting, place the knife where "I" want to cut it, and ask if the size is ok with them. Those that want a cut that's more done will ask...trust me. I cook my loins at the restaurant at around 200 degrees, but here I have the luxury of being able to cook to temp/to order. On a catering I would cook at 350, and take it around 125. The loin IT will rise a solid 10 degrees as they hold for service. Always take a full loin out of the oven 10 degrees shy of your target temp.

Also, this is a catering...no one is expecting a crunchy crust (I don't like that anyway). There is no need for a CVAP or other expensive equipment. When you take the loins out of the oven, or off the pit, just place them in a very clean cooler. I don't wrap rib loins when doing this. I just stack the naked loins in the cooler on top of one another. PRO TIP: [The loins will steam in the cooler. When this steam condenses it will run down the exterior of the meat taking seasoning with it. At the end of the day, when it's time for YOUR prime rib, that juice in the bottom of the cooler is the best au jus you can ask for.] Just be responsible and fully clean & sanitize the cooler before putting RTE food inside.

Disclamer: I have cooked close to 2,000 ribeye loins in my life...take it for what it's worth.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:20 PM   #6
BeastMode

Thanks for the valuable info Cooks.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:53 PM   #7
killerasp
Got Wood.

as far as presentation is concerned, im not afraid to admit that i look at pintrest for ideas on how to set up my serving stations to it doesnt look too plain for the client.

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...tation%7Ctyped

play around with the keywords to see what other ideas you can find.
killerasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:08 AM   #8
CT-Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

How about an after action report?

[url]www.facebook.com/goindeepbbq[/url]
CT-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:23 PM   #9
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

a catering gig in February
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:47 AM   #10
CT-Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchar69 View Post
a catering gig in February
Guess I should learn to read.

[url]www.facebook.com/goindeepbbq[/url]
CT-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:11 PM   #11
BeastMode

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
How about an after action report?
Event is in February. I'll definitely share my experiences.