MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:45 AM   #241
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I've made 3 or 4 batches of this. In my experience, it is always best after letting sit in the fridge for a week, shaking it up once a day. The flavors blend and mellow with the rest time. After 3 or 4 weeks, it's amazing. I've been adding a teaspoon of granulated garlic, and using Louisiana Supreme Habanero Pepper sauce for the hot sauce part.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2014, 12:12 AM   #242
Billy Roo's BBQ
On the road to being a farker

I just made up a batch. Thanks for sharing. I know I am going to like it....but I will let you exactly how much I like it after it sits for a few days in the fridge.
Billy Roo's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2014, 06:35 PM   #243
Bigrolltide1877
On the road to being a farker

Just made up a batch. Its for sure a different type of sauce gonna use it saturday. As of right now i dont really know what to think about it. ;)

Old 01-30-2014, 06:48 PM   #244
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrolltide1877 View Post
Just made up a batch. Its for sure a different type of sauce gonna use it saturday. As of right now i dont really know what to think about it. ;)
Wait 24-30 hours then taste again.. it will taste entirely different (and better).

I always sauce my pork butt with this stuff.

I use it as the foiling liquid and as a sauce after I pull it (I pour in about a cup of it for a 10 pound roast). Then I might use sweet baby rays as a finishing sauce for a sandwich--a very light amount on top of that shack attacked pork (they go together well). If I put in a soft taco, I finish it with salsa verde instead.

I like this sauce so much I made a scrapbook 3x5 recipe card for it :)

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-26-2014, 03:06 PM   #245
tpope
Full Fledged Farker

I get an "Old Thread Warning" when posting to this thread... So what. I gotta stir this one up so that folks remember how good this sauce is... Make and enjoy some with your family. Today, tomorrow and next year...
tpope is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2014, 03:08 PM   #246
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Fixin' to make some now for next week - love this stuff!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2014, 05:11 PM   #247
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks, brethren! I'm glad you all enjoy the old VA BBQ sauce!

I will be posting a recipe for a Virginia red sauce soon called Griffin's Virginia Red. Great story behind the 19th century VA BBQ cook that inspired it. I don't know that it's as good as Shack sauce, but it's pretty tasty, I think.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-26-2014, 05:21 PM   #248
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post

I will be posting a recipe for a Virginia red sauce soon called Griffin's Virginia Red. Great story behind the 19th century VA BBQ cook that inspired it. I don't know that it's as good as Shack sauce, but it's pretty tasty, I think.
Can't wait.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2014, 05:23 PM   #249
tpope
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post

Bring it on..
tpope is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #250
jeffreywp1
is one Smokin' Farker

I just made a quadruple batch! Was it a sin to use smoked paprika? That's all I had as it is usually what I buy. It taste pretty good after 2 days, but I think it would be better with regular paprika.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:51 AM   #251
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Anyone tried it with Sriracha? I made a batch a couple of weekends ago and it was fantastic, but it was the first time I had made it and I'm curious if its that much different than if I would have used Franks or something like that.
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #252
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
Anyone tried it with Sriracha? I made a batch a couple of weekends ago and it was fantastic, but it was the first time I had made it and I'm curious if its that much different than if I would have used Franks or something like that.
I cant say for sriracha put ive made it with franks and Texas pete and seen little to no difference.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:04 AM   #253
jemezspring
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Funny you should post this today as exactly 2 years ago today, post #44, I wrote about making this with sriracha. That batch tasted more like a pure hot sauce to me. But I later used a measuring cup and found out I was not using enough vinegar. The recipe called for 1 1/2 cups and I used less than a cup. To this day it is still my favorite sauce for pulled pork. Also good on chicken, pizza, fried fish, eggs or straight out the bottle to wake up the taste buds.

To answer your question yes many have used sriracha and to me I can not taste a big difference between it and Franks. Pick your favorite hot sauce and go with it. I also use whatever mustard I have on hand, dijon, yellow, deli, lots of fresh coarse black pepper and smoked paprika.
jemezspring is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #254
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I have made several batches with sriracha. I do like it, but I prefer franks red hot or a habanero mango hot sauce that my roommate has to make the Shack Sauce.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #255
midwestsmokeboy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky

Funny you should post this today as exactly 2 years ago today, post #44, I wrote about making this with sriracha. That batch tasted more like a pure hot sauce to me. But I later used a measuring cup and found out I was not using enough vinegar. The recipe called for 1 1/2 cups and I used less than a cup. To this day it is still my favorite sauce for pulled pork. Also good on chicken, pizza, fried fish, eggs or straight out the bottle to wake up the taste buds.

The recipe calls for 3 cups of vinegar not 1 1/2cups. That could be the problem
midwestsmokeboy is offline   Reply With Quote