MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:10 AM   #1
CooterQ
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default 400 pork sandwiches

I wanted to see if y'all could get me in the ballpark. I'm cooking for a customer that has ordered 400 sandwiches. I'm looking to cook off 100lbs of finished product. Would 140lbs of raw boston butt be about right to yield my target number? Thanks.
CooterQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

even injected , butts will yeild about 1/2 of raw, sauced pulled I get a 5 pounds in a 1/2 tin from a 9 pound butt.. so thats my formula,,so if I need 100 pounds of cooked, I would cook 180,
Old 03-12-2014, 12:27 PM   #3
Smokin'Butts
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brian

I typically get about a 60% yield on butts. So to get 100lbs finished product I would cook 170-175lbs raw.
Smokin'Butts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #4
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

I get a bit higher than 60 it seems, though I don't measure it so closely most of the time. I do cook my butts in a foil pan, which may help retain some weight with the drippings...

I usually pour the drippings out into something else (another pan?), pull/chop/whatever i'm going to do, then re-introduce 1/3-1/2 of the liquid back in, and toss the pork in it. It's loose - i eyeball it how much I pour back in, never measure. It's done when it's done kinda deal.

Still though, I'd wager that a 8lb butt yields every bit of 6 lbs cooked, so that's around 75%.

So i'd be looking at 130-140lbs raw by my watch. Either way - just make more than you think you'll need. If it's one less thing to worry about, your cook will go much smoother without you worrying if it's enough.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #5
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

180-200lbs of raw butts is what you need because 50% loss is my rule of thumb. I know many will chime in and say they get 6-% or 65% yield and yes so do I sometimes. My yield averages 55-60% but sometimes you get a case of butts or scenario that will less. At 180lbs with a 60% yield you will have 108lbs of pork allowing you to make 432 1/4lb sandwiches if you get a 50% yield off of that you will have 90lbs of meat and have enough for 360 1/4 sandwiches and an angry customer who has 40 people with no BBQ.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #6
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Still though, I'd wager that a 8lb butt yields every bit of 6 lbs cooked, so that's around 75%.

Can I have the name of your pork supplier? I am loooosing lots of money...if you get 75 pounds out of 100 pounds raw awesome, as the hawgs up here just cant compare
Old 03-13-2014, 03:56 PM   #7
poorolddan
Full Fledged Farker

I'd find it hard to get a 75% yield even cooking boneless and with the fat cap removed. 20 years of cooking experience says 55% yield max. Remember, after you've made the 400 units any leftover can be enjoyed by your family or frozen for later.
poorolddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

[QUOTE=BB-Kuhn;2839293]

QUOTE]

I'm all over that bet!!!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #9
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ View Post
Maybe so if you are cooking it to safe eating temperatures and going balistic on it with a big a$$ cleaver but if you cook it to 190* plus where it will pull you won't see that kind of yield. Weigh it sometime before and after and you will be surprised.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #10
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
Maybe so if you are cooking it to safe eating temperatures and going balistic on it with a big a$$ cleaver but if you cook it to 190* plus where it will pull you won't see that kind of yield. Weigh it sometime before and after and you will be surprised.
that was a quote from previuos post, not me as the the hawg meat I cook gets me about 55%, and thats been injected, I need the name on where to get the 75% producing hawgs!!!