MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

Default BBQ Comp in St. Louis October 8th

The 2nd Annual Grillin Fools Backyard Barbecue Bash is back this year. It's not KCBS sanctioned, but we use KCBS rules almost to a T. The only difference is we don't have the same categories (we do Apps, Chicken and Ribs this year), plus a Best in Smoke (best combined score). I came up with that for the trophy before the show came out on food TV. Go to BestInSmoke.com and it takes you to GrillinFools.com.

We're doing five trophies/plaques/ribbons for each category and Best in Smoke as well as cash prizes for the top in each class.

Here's where we differ from KCBS and just about any other comp. All grilling must be done on mass market grills under $700 or UDS's. Basically you can bring a large BGE, but that's the most you can spend. No custom rigs. No 30 foot locomotive looking grills. If the pros want to come, you have to use the same grills as us Joes.

Our goal here is to get the backyard grill kings who make fantastic stuff but would never think of competing with the guy with the $15K stainless steel trailered grill. We're trying to get rid of the intimidation factor and get more people involved in competing. I know full well that some of the folks competing will get the bug and move on to the trailered rigs and the larger KCBS events, and I'm all for it.

The fee is $100 a team and this is a charity event. We're supporting the Wounded Warrior Project as well as the Wonderland Camp which is a camp that helps people with disabilities have a camp experience that was denied them based on their handicap.

More information can be found here.

You can see some pics from the event last year here and here.
GrillinFool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
InTheRedZoneBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Awesome. I'm that backyard guy who cooks for everyone and wants to get started in the competition. Have my own rubs, sauce, and team name already, just haven't entered anything! This may be the kick in my rear to do it!

Rick
InTheRedZoneBBQ
InTheRedZoneBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #3
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheRedZoneBBQ View Post
Awesome. I'm that backyard guy who cooks for everyone and wants to get started in the competition. Have my own rubs, sauce, and team name already, just haven't entered anything! This may be the kick in my rear to do it!

Rick
InTheRedZoneBBQ
Rick, this is the perfect comp for you. Its a nice one day deal but with KCBS rules. I have to warn you though, its very addictive.

Oh,and the entry fee has been dropped to $50 as the two main sponsors are picking up the other half. $50 is nothing for a buy in. Feel free to email me @ scott (at) grillinfools (dot) com for more info...

Old 09-26-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
stlgreg
Take a breath!

i would be careful saying you are swiping KCBS intellectual property. They dont look too kindly on that.

There is also a big contest downtown that same weekend - St. Louis River Rub.
KCBS Certified Judge #21812
FEC100
1 UDS Smoker
1 Char Griller w/o side fire box
Hog's Wart School BBQ Team
http://www.bbqsaucereport.com (43 sauces and counting!)
stlgreg is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlgreg View Post
i would be careful saying you are swiping KCBS intellectual property. They dont look too kindly on that.

There is also a big contest downtown that same weekend - St. Louis River Rub.
I didn't realize a scoring system they publish out freely was proprietary and not allowed to be used by others

Old 10-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #6
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

Oh and the date has changed.to the 15th