WSM advice

jack040806

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I have finally coaxed my wife into letting me pull the trigger on a wsm. My question is would you all go for the 22 or should I just content myself with the 18? I suppose if I can I should just go all out but I am curious is it worth the extra money? Thanks for your advice.

I like my 18's...very fuel effecient and easy to use. If you need the capacity go with the 22 1/2...:p

Perhaps I can't see me needing the extra capacity in the near future but who knows for sure...

that 22 in one is massive. you would need to cook a lot to justify it. the 18 in one is much easier to handle. and there is the extra fuel cost.

Get the big one.

Go BIG or go HOME

Lol, I agree with this to a point. Looking at the dimensions the size doesn't seem much bigger until you place them side by side. If I weren't cooking for an army...I'd save the cash and go with the smaller.

If you see yourself cooking for lots of folks in the near future..and have some extra money...go big.

I purchased my WSM right b4 the announcement of the new models. That's how my life goes. I would have purchased the 22" if it had been available. The reality of things, however, is that I personally do not need that capacity. The 18" I have is large enough for my home use. I have no use to smoke more than six butts at a time, so I am just fine with the smaller unit.

Determine what your likely use for the smoker is and buy accordingly.

I find cooking on a 22 to be more convenient than the 18, EXCEPT it does take more fuel.

Kingsford is what, 26 cents a pound?

Bigger is always better

I have two 18" WSM's and I love them
But if I could have picked up a 22" WSM
in the begining I would have.. you can cook
two 12# turkeys in an 18" and I pretty sure
you can cook four 12# turkey's in a 22'.:biggrin:
I want a 22" WSM.. soon.. :icon_blush:
more turkeys equals more smoked turkey enchiladas :mrgreen:

The only times I feel that i would need a 22 1/2 inch is for large briskets or ribs. It would be nice to cook a 15 lb brisket without having to use a rib rack in the middle to get it to fit or to have four racks of ribs flat on the top shelf.

That seems like good sound brethren encouragement. It just makes sense.:rolleyes:

Seems to make more sense to me. I only have a ECB 16" (or 15 1/2"?) and although it will hold enough most of the time, whenever there is an occasion where I'll want to cook more than I can, I won't have the option.

I also know that there's a pretty big difference between a 15 1/2" capacity and an 18 1/2" capacity......so maybe I just don't know what the FARK I'm talkin about!!!!

I guess if I had a choice now (like you do) I'd just want the option to be able to cook more meat.....that's all.

If you can only have one, get the big one. If you are going to cart it around, get the small one. If you can find them cheap on CL, buy one of each and live the good life.

Get the 18.5".
If you find it to be too small, get another 18.5"
I like having multiple smokers because different meats get different smoke woods. So if your doing chicken and butts, I'd fire 2 pits anyway.

Jack, get the big one! Be a man about it. Step up! Do The Right Thing. Don't be a wuss...

Can I borrow the 22 inch when you get it?

I have a wsm 18, 2 - 22 1/2" weber silvers, an off set smoker, smokey joe, big square grill, and I still run out of room when i cook fer the family 6 times a year.:evil:
Go fer it, get the big one.:wink:

I don't have one but I would get the bigger one,who know's what's in the future.I am thinking that you will fill the 22.

Back