MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #1
Telescopist
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Accesories

I'm getting ready for my first smoke this year. Snow melting fast now here in Lancaster, PA. My girl just had a birthday. I decided she needed a new cutting board for chopping up the next round of pulled pork. I made it out of instrument grade curly maple. I assembled the slab in 3 stages. Side grain is facing upwards. I attached low profile rubber feet on the underside. All edges have a bevel which do not really show up in this low res image. Dimensions are @ 18"x15"x1.75". I went ahead and got her some new knives too. I purchased a Victorinox Fibrox 8" chef's knife. Also a Ginsu Chikara 7" cleaver. The cleaver will get lots of use, I can see that already. Now if I can just get her to make that first chop in the cutting board...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled (1 of 1).jpg (77.0 KB, 304 views)

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-13-2014, 09:59 AM   #2
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

That is a beautiful board!! You do nice work!!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
peeps

Very nice!!!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
AlwaysSmokey
is One Chatty Farker

Good Job.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #5
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Nice work, and great gifts.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #6
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

That came out really nice, I wouldn't want to use it.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #7
Telescopist
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offthehook View Post
That came out really nice, I wouldn't want to use it.
Haha. Everything has to get broke in at some point in time.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #8
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That does look like a nice board. I have a question, I have a large end grain board, and I ave been looking for rubber feet to put on one side. I have had no luck finding anything that will work, all I find are stick on things that I am sure will fall off after awhile. Where did you find them?
Dave

Old 03-13-2014, 07:29 PM   #9
Telescopist
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
That does look like a nice board. I have a question, I have a large end grain board, and I ave been looking for rubber feet to put on one side. I have had no luck finding anything that will work, all I find are stick on things that I am sure will fall off after awhile. Where did you find them?
Dave
You are correct when you wrote that nothing sticks well to end grain.
That said, I don't know what you have when you wrote, "large end grain board". What is a large end grain board? I think you meant something else but I'm not sure what. Typically all boards are cut along the grain when they are processed at the saw mill. There is theexception, being quarter sawn wood like tiger oak. End grain cutting blocks were used exclusively by meat processors all the way back into the 18th century. They were called butcher blocks. The wood was glued together in groups and the side grain ran down the length while the end grain was on top. There were two problems with these butcher blocks. 1. The end grain was porous and trapped bacteria. 2. They were difficult to re-level after months of chopping. Can you clarify what you mean by a large end grain board?

Old 03-13-2014, 07:54 PM   #10
Okie Sawbones
Banned

Curly maple is beautiful wood. It makes great gun stocks as well. You did mighty fine!
Cooking BBQ since 1971, seriously cooking BBQ since 1996, when I read Smoke and Spice.
Okie Sawbones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2014, 09:33 PM   #11
USMC
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
Dave
Here ya go. They have white and brown. I'm gonna order these for my cutting board I made from a butcher block counter top. They screw in so no worries about coming off.

http://www.vermontbutcherblock.com/c...te-rubber-feet

Old 03-13-2014, 09:41 PM   #12
popeye
is one Smokin' Farker

just put a sheet of rubber under it and it won't move .. That way you can use both sides. Works for me
smoky joe
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2014, 09:56 PM   #13
Telescopist
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC View Post
Here ya go. They have white and brown. I'm gonna order these for my cutting board I made from a butcher block counter top. They screw in so no worries about coming off.

You got it going. Big plus: you get to choose white or brown. Will you attach an image of your board when you get done?

Old 03-13-2014, 10:01 PM   #14
Okie Sawbones
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC View Post

Those look nice. We were given a nice maple board. I think I'll order a set. Thanks for the link.
Cooking BBQ since 1971, seriously cooking BBQ since 1996, when I read Smoke and Spice.
Okie Sawbones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #15
BBQ_MAFIA

Great looking board.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.