Stick fire in Weber kettle?

Rubmybutt

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Is doing this kosher? I wanted a wood fire tonite for a couple of HUGE ribeye's and I thought a nice oak fire would work well but I wanted to do it in the Weber, is this an acceptable practice? Your thoughts please!

And have a very nice weekend!:thumb:

I did it once at a campout. A friend had and extra turkey, and we had some smallish sticks. It was a spur-of-the-moment thing. We had to cook the turkey, or throw it away. It worked rather well, even though we didn't really do it in a way that I would have expected to work. It was a direct heat cook, and turned out quite tasty.

If you can cut the sticks into six inch chunks, and put them on one side, with the meat and a drip pan on the other, it should work better.

CD

It will work if you're grilling. I've done it a bunch of times with oak in a Kettle. Just get a nice big roaring fire and let it settle to a pile of hot coals. After that grill it up! You do need to get a good sized fire to start so you can have a nice even bed of coals.

Thanks guy's,

Now that's what I wanted to hear, I think I'll start a few charcoals in the chiminy, get that going good and then put the oak over that and wait for the coals to appear. Now what did I do with my camera?:thumb:

Back