wild hog and bologna????

R

redbandit98

Well, I have recently aquired a wild hog (a sal) ham. It was shot in a bad spot so I got no ribs or shoulder. I think Im just gonna inject it like a do a butt and smoke it at 250 and see what happens. The thing Im wanting some help on is bologna. I honestly dont like bologna too much but I have a buddy who loves it. I smoke him a chub every now and then when Im cooking something else. I realize since its so dense and already cooked, its not gonna take a lot of smoke. The few times Ive done it, I scored it and let it smoke for about 2.5 hours. What Im thinking would be good is if I could come up with some sort of glaze kind of like on a store bought ham. I think the sweet along with a light smoke would be good. Then again, Im not much on bologna so I dont know. Im asking you guys that have done it to give me some advice.

Redbandit,

Hello to a fellow Arkansan...I live just north of you in Fayetteville. I wish I could help you in bbq quest for bologna but I have been wanting a feral pig for some time. Do you happen by chance to know someone who has some property with a pig problem?

I was in the National Guard, stationed at Ft. Chaffee and they have a growing pig problem there but hunting on private land tends to be a bit easier with regulations.

Good luck with the pig!

I'm a bit confused. are you wanting to smoke the whole ham? You mention bologna, are you considering cutting some off and grinding to make bologna? I assume it's a "sow" and not a "sal"? :)

As far as the wild hog hunting goes................ place an ad in the Madison county record or on Craigslist and you should find some one who needs "your service."

Bologna- you can make fresh from beef and pork and it would smoke much better.

1. Go to Academy and buy the summer sausage kit, same one that Sportsman Supply had.
2. Follow instructions for making bologna in the kit. You can have Harps grind an eye of round or a brisket for the beef and use sausage for the pork.
3. Make something edible, ala summer sausage. Half the amount of cure in the kit, half the spice, add jalapenos, cheese, your favorite beef rub, and Jimmy Dean maple sausage. Perfection, until you start mixing your own spices at least.

4. SMOKE IT ALL AND LOVE IT.

BTW- when wild hog is handled right, it is awesome. At least the local stuff.

Last edited:
haha well I should have worded that a lot better. Yes I have both a ham and I am wanting to smoke some bologna, BUT I am not wanting to make the bologna from the ham. Yes it is from a Sow pig. Most everyone I know calls them "sals", its just sort of a slang term. I really dont think about stuff like that when I type them, I forget the interenet covers a lot more area than my neck of the woods. Anyways I am going to try my hand at smoking the ham. Ive never cooked/smoked one that wasnt already done so Im new at that. The bologna thing I was just wanting some input. I work with a guy that loves loves loves the stuff and hes always super happy when I bring him a chub of it. I just wanted to see If I could make it any better.

thanks everyone
matt

Oh yea, Hogs are a BIG problem around here. They are getting worse by the day. There are lots of people who go around and hunt them with permission from landowners, they need to be dealt with. My brother is in the 188th here in Fort Smith, hes been in for probably 13 or so years. Thanks for your service. :tea:

Back