MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
deadeye531
Got Wood.

Default Fire?? What am I doing?!!

Ok guys I guess I need alot of help. I have alittle Charbroil Smoker with the fire box on the side. I see alot of guys with big baskets full of briquettes and say that will last all night. I cant seem to put extra in for them all burning at the same time? Is there a trick to this? I start about 15 briquettes and let them burn and then try to add extra around but they all burn and I just have to add as I go. Would be nice as Im gonna be up all night with this butt and then working again tomorrow also. What was I thinking? Besides being hooked on smoking. Oh Im using bif blue k bag.
deadeye531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
ON THE FARM
Full Fledged Farker

you need to make a basket, i have a 12" tall and 12" diameter in mine. then that is what you fill with unburned briquettes then you put your 15 or so lit coals on top of that to get a long burn. it is called the minion method. it will be kind of close to the lid when you add the lit coals but works good.
regulate the temp with the damper on the side.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
deadeye531
Got Wood.

I have a basket for them but I didnt know I was suppose to put them on top. Will it hurt if I change it now? I just put a pork butt on an hour ago. How long will that burn? Do i need to watch it constantly like I do now?

Old 09-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
Jeff S.
Full Fledged Farker

When you add the lit coals, add them to the side of your coals closest to the smoking chamber, away from the intake vent.

It slows the burn back through the unlit coals.

Hope that makes sense.

Also, as you add more coals, push the burning coals closer to the smoke chamber and then add the unlit coals closer to the intake.

Jeff S.

Trailer'd LownSlo 48" x 20" with a Char-Broil Grill
Hinged Dome UDS, Weber Kettle lid UDS
Weber Performer
[COLOR=red]Red (Super Lightning Fast)Lithium-Ion powered ThermoPen[/COLOR]
2 Modded ET-73's 2 stock '73's
IGrill
WSBA, PNWBA, KCBS, KCBS CBJ
It's the I behind the Eye that see's
Jeff S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
TheMidnightSmoker
On the road to being a farker

I dont think you can change it now that it has been going. Remember for next time to put the few burning coals on top. This should give you are real long burn time.
TheMidnightSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #6
ON THE FARM
Full Fledged Farker

where did you put the lit coals?

Old 09-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
deadeye531
Got Wood.

I had the lit coals in the basket in the fire box with some hickory. I just ran out real quick and put about 5" of coals in another basket that is 14"x14" and then took the lit basket out real quick and changed them out putting the lit ones now on top of the other basket. Had it done in less than a minute and didnt loose my temps just gotta watch it for a bit. Glad I found this site yall know so much.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
ON THE FARM
Full Fledged Farker

that should work, keep an eye on your temps for a while now. remember small adjustments at a time.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #9
toadhunter911
is one Smokin' Farker

I usually get a good 3-4 hours from my initial basket (mine is a piece of 24'X24" expanded metal cut at the corners and folded to make a basket). Here's pic of a similar one...

I put about 5 lbs of unlit briquettes in the basket, piled around the edges and a little in the center, with whatever smoke wood I'm using. I like to use cherry and pecan chunks. Then light about half a chimney of lump and add it to the center of the basket when its totally lit.

I usually have to add a little lit coal (lump and briquettes) every 90 minutes or so, about a half a chimney full, to maintain 250 for a 12 hour cook.

They do require a good deal of babysitting, and alot of airflow adjusting, but my Chargriller turns out some mighty fine Q. Good luck brother!

Old 09-17-2010, 08:40 PM   #10
deadeye531
Got Wood.

Ive got a basket just about the same as yours well actually 3 of them lol. How much charcoal do you go through for a long burn? I have an 18 pound bag but think I need more. i have until 6pm est sat. 14 pound butt.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:43 PM   #11
RDWD
Got Wood.

Im getting ready to put two butts on my cos tonight for an overnight as well. I haven't made a basket yet so I'm gonna be doing a lot of babysitting as well. Im gonna flip the charcoal trough thingy upside down to aid in the heat dispersion this time. I'll keep you posted with some pics as I go. Looks like I'm in for the long haul tonight. Good luck deadeye.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #12
deadeye531
Got Wood.

Good luck to you. I will be on here more than likely. Will try to do pics. as I go

Old 09-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #13
RDWD
Got Wood.

Sounds good, I walked outside a second ago and I thought I could smell your smoke coming from the North haha.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #14
toadhunter911
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeye531 View Post
Ive got a basket just about the same as yours well actually 3 of them lol. How much charcoal do you go through for a long burn? I have an 18 pound bag but think I need more. i have until 6pm est sat. 14 pound butt.
She eats alot of fuel. I went thru a 14 lb bag of briquettes, a 10 lb bag of lump, and about 4 lbs of pecan chunks on the 35 lbs of butts I did today. Took a bit over 12 hours.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:12 PM   #15
deadeye531
Got Wood.

How did it only take 12 hrs? at an hr and half my 14 pounds is gonna take 21 hrs according to my thinking. Please tell me Im wrong lol.

RDWD wouldnt doubt it lol. since I changed the baskets the smoke was pouring out