MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #1
life like a Buffett song
Found some matches.

Default Tri-Tip sandwich vending question

Trying to get a handle on serving size Dose any one have a opinion on what a good serving size is for a sandwich selling for around $8.00 I am in California I know prices will very across the states.

I thought I was giving a good value for my sell price. Then this weekend I was selling at an event where a steak house was doing Santa Maria style TT sandwiches for around the same cost with what appeared to be at least 1/3 more meat. Since I have just been eyeballing the portion I am hoping to get some opinion on cooked weight.

It is very possible they are making nothing on the sandwiches as advertising for the brick and motor business and I am also sure that the meat they are buying is costing less just by volume they buy and possibly they are buying lower quality

I guess I am saying I need a reality check.

Thanks
Bill
life like a Buffett song is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2010, 12:32 AM   #2
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you can't afford to compete with the competition rates, perhaps sell something they are not such as pulled pork sammies.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2010, 02:15 AM   #3
grillfella
is one Smokin' Farker

I am selling Bollio sized 6 inch rolls santa maria style tri-tip sandwiches for six at a community festival in April. How much meat are you packing in your sandwich?
grillfella is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #4
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

Just because a business has a sign or menu that says "tri-tip" many vendors cheat and use ball tip. Did you see what they were cooking?
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #5
landarc

I saw a guy in Humboldt County selling tri-tip sandwiches for $8 each on 6" rolls, he was putting in about 4oz of meat. I thought it was a tad high for the area, but, they sold out each of 3 days. In my opinion, it was very lean and tough, I thought probably select beef, not choice beef. Sauce tasted like Cattlemen's and the bread was okay. 1/4lb cooked is enough for a sandwich in most cases.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2010, 10:50 PM   #6
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

Don't worry about the competition until you taste his product. Don't lower your quality to meet the competition, that is the kiss of death. You only need to worry if he is putting out the same quality cheaper. Chances are he is going for a cheap price with a lot of meat and quality is low. Find the boat you want to be in, low price or high quality. Tough to do both profitably.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #7
Car Wash Mike
Knows what a fatty is.

I saw a guy seasoning 5lb. "tri-tips" at an event. Give me a break. I serve 5.3 ounces on a 5 inch hoagie for lunch. Sliced thin, looks like a ton of meat.
Car Wash Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2010, 05:38 AM   #8
tjus77
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Wash Mike View Post
I saw a guy seasoning 5lb. "tri-tips" at an event. Give me a break. I serve 5.3 ounces on a 5 inch hoagie for lunch. Sliced thin, looks like a ton of meat.
That is the key... slice it thin so it looks like more, start with 1/4 lb then go to 1/3 if it doesn't sell well, with a sign.. "NOW MORE MEAT". just a thought.
Variety of Cast Iron DO's
Weber Genius Gas Grill, Weber Kettle

Cajuns make better lovers cause we'll eat ANYTHING.
tjus77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2010, 12:31 PM   #9
Bigmista

I sell 4oz on a hamburger bun for $5.50 and 6oz. on a steak roll for $8. Now mine isn't grilled "Santa Maria" style. I smoke it and slice it thin.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tri-trp