THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D0ughB0y

Take a breath!
Being a noob to making my own BBQ and living in NJ, my experience with pulled pork has mostly been with crock-pot braised versions.

Since my first butts on the WSM, the difference in my taste for pulled, chopped, or shredded pork has changed quite a bit. I've had 3 different versions of pulled pork that were all done in crock pots and while they're good, they don't come close to standing up to the real smoked flavor of meat and the wonderful bits of bark that we get in a smoker.

Case in point was tonight. My roomate got a recipe from his mother for some pulled pork. He used a butt and a bunch of other ingredients and it sat in a crock pot for a few hours, then was pulled and finally had some sauce added. It was good, juicy, and tender... but without that smoke it is SO different. I found myself longing for the crunchy/chewy texture of bark and a little turned off by the wetness that came with the braising liquid.

Long story short... smoking butts has ruined my ability to really enjoy mediocre pulled pork.

And now you begin to understand why so many of us here take exception to calling something that came out of a crockpot BBQ. Crockpots have their place in the world, but cooking Faux Que ain't one of them...

I give you props on your new found knowledge and appreciate that you did not call it crock-pot BBQ, rather calling it braised pulled pork.

Sounds like you need to get your roommate a wsm...

I'm actually tempted to embark on a UDS building episode with him, but I'm not sure how well his fiancee (my cousin, who also owns the house we live in) will take it because she's very 'sensative' to things. I could see her shooting it down because it isn't pretty or something.

Lord knows he isn't getting close to my WSM.

At the wrestling tournament I worked saturday, there was copped chicken and pulled pork prepared cafeteria style, I had brownies, could barely stomache the smell of their BBQ pork. Not.

Just cook for her and once she falls in love with the BBQ she won't mind the big UDS in the drive way!

The day of my first pulled pork cook she complained and left the house because of the 'smell of raw pork', didn't like the smell of the rub, then gave me hell the next day about stinking up the house and left the house all day because of the smell of the cooked pork (which came off the WSM at like 5am and was pulled a few hours later).

She seems a tad cranky and anti-pork. I would give up on the UDS and work on getting a Jambo, they look purty.

She seems a tad cranky and anti-pork. I would give up on the UDS and work on getting a Jambo, they look purty.

I was considering the possibility having someone airbrush the Midol logo on it... since she might find that familiar and eating things out of it might have a placebo effect.

she's very 'sensative' to things. I could see her shooting it down because it isn't pretty or something.

Sounds like your buddy needs to find a new fiance, or set things straight before the marriage. The inability to fabricate smokers and bbq large quantities of meat can strain a marriage to the point of divorce.

Last edited:
Sounds like your buddy needs to find a new fiance, or set things straight before the marriage. The inability to fabricate smokers and bbq large quantities of meat can strain a marriage to the point of divorce.
I am with you on this NRA,she probably doesn't like him drinking beer and watching the game either.That will stink up the house.

The day of my first pulled pork cook she complained and left the house because of the 'smell of raw pork', didn't like the smell of the rub, then gave me hell the next day about stinking up the house and left the house all day because of the smell of the cooked pork (which came off the WSM at like 5am and was pulled a few hours later).
Whoa...
RED FLAG .......RED FLAG

Do we need to do an intervention? I hate to see your buddy marry into that.

Back