MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Default Bayou Classic Kamado?

When I was at Lowe's recently, buying my ($198 performer :) I looked through their whole grill catalog and noticed the Bayou Classic Cypress, a Kamado styl grill...at Lowe's! They couldn't give me a price on it, but said they thought they could special order it. I'm not really in the market, but it looks pretty to me, and it looks like it gives you more space than a large BGE for less money, with more goodies, and was wondering if any one had any experience with these. It looks to be a thinner than a Primo, but I'm wondering what that really hurts, considering the larger space.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
When I was at Lowe's recently, buying my ($198 performer :) I looked through their whole grill catalog and noticed the Bayou Classic Cypress, a Kamado styl grill...at Lowe's! They couldn't give me a price on it, but said they thought they could special order it. I'm not really in the market, but it looks pretty to me, and it looks like it gives you more space than a large BGE for less money, with more goodies, and was wondering if any one had any experience with these. It looks to be a thinner than a Primo, but I'm wondering what that really hurts, considering the larger space.

dmp
There have been many discussions about the cypress...most folks would advise against it for quality and customer service reasons. Just my advice...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
1_T_Scot
is Blowin Smoke!

Here are the Threads I started when I was going through my issues.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=44630

Scroll down to see the break and repair. It worked for a while then It fell apart. I junked it and got BGE you would not believe the Quality difference. It is amazing how well the Egg does and how bad the other one is.

The thing that really got me was no replacement parts available! Not even if I wanted to pay for them. I can see where they might not warantee it since I assembled it etc... But not to sell me parts??? Total lack of Customer Care/Service.

You get what you pay for! So Buyer Beware.

Hopefully there are others that have had good luck with them.

Supporting Disabled Veterans. Link Removed. Diveheart .org

Large Big Green Egg - Fathers Day 2009
1_T_Scot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
Duckaholic
Got rid of the matchlight.

Guys my name is Johnny Mckinion and I am the General Manager for Barbour International.....the maker of ther Bayou classic cypress series grills.

I pride myself in our customer service, I do not know who 1 t scot talked to but will agree it was handeled the wrong way.

The unit he purchased was one that we purchased from another company and we were not happy with it.....so we closed them out....and we did not have parts available.

The grill that we are making ourselves and that Lowes hasis a totally different animal....

Yeah we are new to the market and we are trying to make the ceramic grill affordable to everybody........is it a BGE....nope.....does it work the same....we think so.

You have my name.....if you have issues with any of our products and you do not receive the customer service you feel you deserve.......call me direct.
Duckaholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

I appreciate the post Mr Mckinion. I bet you are having a world of fun dealing with the left overs from the first batch.

Good luck to you and your company! You have earned respect just by showing up here and explaining.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckaholic View Post
Guys my name is Johnny Mckinion and I am the General Manager for Barbour International.....the maker of ther Bayou classic cypress series grills.

I pride myself in our customer service, I do not know who 1 t scot talked to but will agree it was handeled the wrong way.

The unit he purchased was one that we purchased from another company and we were not happy with it.....so we closed them out....and we did not have parts available.

The grill that we are making ourselves and that Lowes hasis a totally different animal....

Yeah we are new to the market and we are trying to make the ceramic grill affordable to everybody........is it a BGE....nope.....does it work the same....we think so.

You have my name.....if you have issues with any of our products and you do not receive the customer service you feel you deserve.......call me direct.
As greasepig sez! You may want to weigh in on the ceramic comparison thread with proper details on your product.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:

Dear Johnny,
I'm not in the market for one of these (I have a Primo), but I want to say, reading this letter, that you've done your company a great service with this letter. You accept responsibility for past wrongs, explain why things went wrong and give your name to be held accountable. I think you've turned a few heads here and helped your reputation immensely. Your letter appears very sincere and is EXACTLY the right thing to do. One of the huge factors with these products is customer service and if you are allowed to do the right thing, then word will get out and I believe you will find success. All companies screw up. It is how they handle these screw-ups that matter.
Gore
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Glad to see someone is paying attention and taking the quality issues to heart... I look forward to seeing the improvements in your product...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
copterdoc
Found some matches.

I have one of the locally made (Mississippi) Second gen ones and I love it. I have had it for about a year

Old 02-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #10
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Was just on Lowes website and no sign of the cypress. Just turkey cookers and some accesseries. How can Johnny sell them if they don't post them?

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2010, 02:02 PM   #11
Bones
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

I do not have a Cypress cooker but have other products from your company and they work GREAT.
Just a couple of week ago I called and ask questions about burner part and received answers. I ordered the parts and they shipped and arrived when I was told they would. With that said, the customer service was great. Just my 2 cents worth. I will continue to buy products from this company.

Chris
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2010, 04:18 PM   #12
Duckaholic
Got rid of the matchlight.

Not sure if Lowes has them on their web site....but they do have them in store.....there are plenty of web sites that do have them though
Duckaholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2010, 04:56 PM   #13
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

http://www.bayouclassicstore.com/Cha...s/500-515.html

$774.95

For that price why wouldn't I just get a large big green egg?

Old 02-24-2010, 06:12 PM   #14
T-Man
is one Smokin' Farker

Buddy of mine has one..says its good to go ! They are made locally now in Miss. They also include the stand in the price....

Old 03-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #15
cowboyupbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Eric
Default Hey AJP

I saw that grill at Orscheln in Topeka for $499.

Eric
cowboyupbbq is offline   Reply With Quote