fire extinguisher

bbq ron

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
been looking around and can't find what size fire extinguisher is needed to use for comps or does it matter, thanks and all the help i can get would be nice,
thanks Ron :p:p

The rule doesnt specify.

4) Contestants shall provide all needed equipment,
supplies and electricity, except as arranged for in advance.
Contestants must adhere to all electrical, fire and other
codes. A fire extinguisher shall be near all cooking devices.

a 2.5 lb Type ABC is about 20 bucks, and is more than enough.

Don't skimp on Fire Extinguishers. My neighbor's site in Sayville has caught on fire twice in 2 years so I always keep a decent sized one handy.

I had a few contests this year specify that they require a 5lb minimum. I had already bought a small one, and ended up buying a more expensive larger extinguisher to meet the requirement. I still take the small one with me too, and figure I'll use the inexpensive one as a first line of defense, but I show off the big one to the inspectors that ask for it.

If you purchase a disposable non refillable type please check the mfg date usually stamped on the bottom of the unit.
If they are older than one year the local fire marshall wont approve it for a comp.

Refillable type extenguishers normaly have a solid metal head, and a yellow tag attached to them with initals and a date sold, those are good for 1 calender year.

This happened to some friends who were competing here in Michigan a few years ago.

I've got two...they both expired about two years ago!

Are they the throw away type with a plastic head or with a metal head?

If they are metal you should take them to a reputable fire extinguisher shop and have them recertified.

Just my 2 cents here.

This happened to some friends who were competing here in Michigan a few years ago.

The only competition that we have been to that did more than just look to see if we had an extinguisher was Grand Rapids. They specified the type and size and checked to make sure that we met their requirements and that we had a valid inspection tag.

Farkin' Fire Extinguishers!

PNWBA sponsored events REQUIRE a 2 A40 BC or 3 A 40BC and they must have a receipt or inspection tag within 12 months.

Costco has them for @ $30-$35, And the annual inspection fee is @ $7-$12 and they are good for 7 years before needing service (pressure test,etc. @ $25) Seattle city events almost always brings out the Fire Marshall to check them thoroughly and we get them checked during Meat Inspections at most all comps.

Don't skimp on Fire Extinguishers. My neighbor's site in Sayville has caught on fire twice in 2 years so I always keep a decent sized one handy.

Hmmm...I think there might be a reason your "neighbors" are catching on fire.:smile:

I have heard of fire marshals down here reject fire extinguishers with plastic handles and Valves. I would recommend a 10lb Badger or Amerex. They will run $80.00 at a fire equipment shop with a new tag. Either of these will last longer than you will want to cook comp.

Hmmm...I think there might be a reason your "neighbors" are catching on fire.:smile:

Last year we blame it on the tequila. This year it was a power surge during the thunderstorm. In both cases we survived and placed well. Maybe rain and fire are my friend!

Next year Bull is coming to be the official SIDE fire marshall.

Are they the throw away type with a plastic head or with a metal head?

If they are metal you should take them to a reputable fire extinguisher shop and have them recertified.

Just my 2 cents here.

One of each...I need to have the metal one recharged I just haven't gotten to it yet.

i have a 10lb water extingusher thats i can refill myself. and since i'm a fire protection inspector i inspect it myself. had a fire marshal question it this year in jersey. showed him my license then noticed the one in his can was out of date :icon_cool he left:biggrin:

Back