What to do with a 5lb pork loin

flatbed82

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Bought it tonight. I would like to get any tips and suggestions on how you prepare and smoke it from experienced people before I ruin it. What has worked good for you? Any comments appreciated.

I prefer to cook inderect, w/smoke. Rub it up and pull at 140*. Last night I did one w/Dizzy Dust, and one w/Jamaican Firewalk from Dizzy Pig. They were both great! Good Luck, John

I butterflied one and then rolled it with pablano peppers, onions, and some other stuff, rub with your favorite rub. Then cooked indirect for about 2 hours(to 140). the loin doesn't have the same fat content as a butt or shoulder. the first one I did I over cooked. When it reaches 140, bring it in let it rest, then slice it in 3/4" slices and serve with some kind of side.

I did one yesterday that I “Z” cut, pounded thin, sprinkled with rub and stuffed with…
Spinach
Onions
Mushrooms
Roasted Red Peppers
Fresh Basil
Mozzarella

Be sure to sauté any firm vegetables prior to stuffing. I smoked mine at 250* with cherry wood to an internal temp of 150*. It was awesome, I’ll post some pictures latter.

Inject it with bourbon & applejuice, rub with your rub de jur, and smoke in a boat.

This is my favorite way of doing loins: I start a chimney of briqs, meanwhile place a long waterpan down the middle of my Weber Kettle. When briqs are ready I devide them along both sides banking them up on sides of the kettle. I place the loin in a boat made from heavy duty foil and place over water pan. The boat must be made good enough to save all juice. Cook indirect for 90 minutes. Once internal temp hits 145-160 (depending on how well you like it) pull and rest for 15-20 min. Slice and pour au ju over slices to moisten. Cat Sass

butterfly and soak in equal parts oj, ginger ale, & spce rum, add enough soy sauce to get the salt right.

while thats soaking blend up some dark corn syrup, allspice, scotch bonnet, thyme & garlic ( don't lean over the pot when you start disturbing the scotch bonnet peppers ).

after a few hours soak ( or over night if you got time ) throw on the grill and brush on the allspice/pepper jerk sauce.

low and slow 'till done, top with a little more sauce and you are good to go,

Back