MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #10096
Rick_HpyVly
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

That is one epic thread...with a ton of information! I started about 2 weeks ago and have acquired my Weber grill and have almost completed the coal basket. Have to locate a drum yet. Plan on building the UDS to the Norco/KISS specifications and will post pics of my build. The people who adhere to the Norco/KISS specs seem to have the most success. That's not to say that mods are bad, but you must understand how these work to make mods that work. I intend to build a temp controller with a fan mod myself to help with overnight cooks. I HIGHLY recommend that people read the thread...there are many excellent UDS's here that are worth looking at! Thanks to everyone for contributing to this and making it a great source of information!
Rick_HpyVly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #10097
Sampler
Knows what a fatty is.

Here is my finished UDS.....

More pron from my first build in my build thread. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=143393

D
Sampler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #10098
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Was just browsing through the homedepot website and found something that non-welder types can use to connect the charcoal basket rims to their base:

(The one pictured aboved is zinc coated but you get the idea.)

Or maybe get a smaller chain and weave it through the expanded metal, this way you will have a handle as well?
Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #10099
Rmhardie
Found some matches.

Default FINALLY my smoker build

Hoping to score a kettle off of CL for cheap, and future mods would be handles, table and wheels. But, on the first seasoning run, held 225-250 for 6 hours on a windy day until I shut it down. Having trouble loading pics however
Rmhardie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2012, 12:43 AM   #10100
Terry Hesticles
Knows what a fatty is.

For anybody in the OKC area, the Edmond Academy store has 12" thermometers on sale for $3.99, regularly $14.99. I thought it was a mistake at first, as they weren't marked as being on sale on the shelf, but it rang up correctly as a 12" thermo.

May or may not apply to all Academy stores.

With the credit we already had at Academy, I was able to pick up a hinged 22.5" Weber grate and a 12" thermo for a total of $3.8X, making my total UDS investment so far only $35 ($30 used unlined drum + today's purchase). Still need hardware (including nipples (tee-hee)), a charcoal grate, and expanded metal, though. Not a totally fair estimate considering we, at one time, gave money to Academy in order to have a credit there, but don't harsh my buzz, man.
Terry Hesticles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #10101
ibmachead
Found some matches.

Just finished my first Boston butt. OMG, I think I could fall in love with this kind of kookin'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-09-24 19.01.05.jpg (96.8 KB, 777 views)
ibmachead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #10102
hankaye
Knows what a fatty is.

Howdy All;

Well, so far I've read 750 of the 10,101 posts to see if I can unlock the secret of the UDS..... still back in 2007 ...

Will be traveling South for the Winter for the next week. Time to contemplate what I've read, and do some fishin...

hank
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #10103
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

Here is a question I know some will have the answer to and I'm sure I've seen it on here somewhere.

I want to extend the height of my UDS by using another barrel (like the top 1/3 rd). Does anyone have pic on how it was/is done or a link to a thread that shows this.

Thanks
Jim

Old 09-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #10104
N8man
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peddler View Post
Here is a question I know some will have the answer to and I'm sure I've seen it on here somewhere.

I want to extend the height of my UDS by using another barrel (like the top 1/3 rd). Does anyone have pic on how it was/is done or a link to a thread that shows this.

Thanks
Jim
I did that very thing to my DrumPit and more...
Try these and see iff'n they help with your build......

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=28252
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=130795
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=131871
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=109339

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #10105
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

N8Man ... I'm using a flat lid on my open top UDS smoker at this time and have a closed end drum to use as an extended lid instead of a Weber lid. I'm intrested on how the two mate and if they will seal fairly well. I'm not planning to modify the UDS, just add an extended lid.

Thanks
Jim

Old 09-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #10106
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
N8Man ... I'm using a flat lid on my open top UDS smoker at this time and have a closed end drum to use as an extended lid instead of a Weber lid. I'm intrested on how the two mate and if they will seal fairly well. I'm not planning to modify the UDS, just add an extended lid.

Thanks
Jim
If I get what you're after, you want to use part of a second drum as the lid for your current UDS which will add some height when in place, yeah? Kind of like using a Weber lid on top of a UDS but instead you're using a second drum, so your "lid" will have straight walls and flat top.

If so, and you don't want to mod your current UDS (so you can continue using your current flat drum lid when you choose to), I'd imagine your best chance would be to take drum #2 and do whatever you have to to open the bottom... turn it upside down, cut off the bottom, etc. I'd then use some thinner gauge metal to make a long strip perhaps 7 or 8 inches in height and long enough to go around the inside circumference of your UDS. Weld or bolt it to the inside rim of your "lid" drum so maybe 3 or 4 inches extends down and can slide into the open top of your smoker. you may need to use some high temp silicone or other sealant to get rid of air leaks on your extension lid. Fine tune with a rubber mallet and I expect you'd be good to go.
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #10107
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
If I get what you're after, you want to use part of a second drum as the lid for your current UDS which will add some height when in place, yeah? Kind of like using a Weber lid on top of a UDS but instead you're using a second drum, so your "lid" will have straight walls and flat top.

If so, and you don't want to mod your current UDS (so you can continue using your current flat drum lid when you choose to), I'd imagine your best chance would be to take drum #2 and do whatever you have to to open the bottom... turn it upside down, cut off the bottom, etc. I'd then use some thinner gauge metal to make a long strip perhaps 7 or 8 inches in height and long enough to go around the inside circumference of your UDS. Weld or bolt it to the inside rim of your "lid" drum so maybe 3 or 4 inches extends down and can slide into the open top of your smoker. you may need to use some high temp silicone or other sealant to get rid of air leaks on your extension lid. Fine tune with a rubber mallet and I expect you'd be good to go.
Speed is a good thing when getting into, and out of a UDS IMHO...the more unwieldy you make the lid the more "farks" will be involved in getting it on and off :-). Unless you can hinge the extended lid.
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #10108
Dryden84
Got rid of the matchlight.

I made it through pages 280 over the last month and got started on my build.

Burned it out this weekend

All cleaned up, inside and out with the wire wheel. Lid got a little out of whack, so using the clamp to suck it back in.

Assembly and season in the next few days. Dont think Im gonna paint it....all the bells and whistles will come out on the next one.

Thanks for all the great posts with detailed info!

Josh
Dryden84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #10109
geo
Knows what a fatty is.

You should clear coat to keep that funky pattern the wire wheel made..

Old 09-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #10110
Sampler
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:

Thanks
Jim
I'm liking the shelve set up. Anyone have any pics to share of how to set it up?
Sampler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker