MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
QueInOveralls
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Aaron
Default Mobile dual 55 Gal Build

New here to the forum but figured I'd post my build that started this past weekend with my and my roommates. My original intent was just to build a smoker. That's never enough for rednecks like us in Alabama. We then decided to make it mobile. We figured though while we are smoking food we will probably get hungry so we are going to add a grill. The grill will be on the back of the trailer horizontal obviously and the smoker UDS will sit at the front of the trailer. We are going to reinforce the trailer a bit and add metal to be able to have a full 360 weld on the bottom of the UDS to trailer. Here's a few pics to show what we are working with.

QueInOveralls is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Good luck with the build! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Sweet! Lookin forward to the progress and the end result. I like the mobile concept.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

Sounds like fun!
Make it big enough for a cooler and some charcoal (which will add some weight to the unit when towing.)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks like you have a plan. Keep us posted!

Old 09-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

First off, welcome! I'm looking forward to what you come up with.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

I can't wait to see more!!

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
c farmer
Babbling Farker

I am in...

Gold mini wsm 1st gen mes, amazin dust and pellet smoker, and the uds.

Double O' Seven == Rotisserie/Grill/Smoker Hybrid and offset.
c farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #9
andy53
Knows what a fatty is.

Lookin' forward to seeing this. Great idea!

Old 09-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

Oh man I'm ready for this! Bring on the pron!

Old 09-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #11
QueInOveralls
Got Wood.

Well guys it has been slow this week on progress. I have been working a couple hours the past two days grinding out the paint on the inside of the drum. The fire only burned out the very bottom section of the drum. Didn't want it to get to hot and warp the barrel. Got all the parts I needed for the trailer from Harbor Freight which was fun. I printed off 4 25% off 1 item and handed them to my roommates and we walked in everyone with a different part: 2 tires, jack, lights. I also got all the parts I needed for the UDS. One question though is I couldn't find stainless steel bolts that were the right length or diameter at home depot so I bought aluminum nuts and bolts. You think that will be alright? I know not to use galvanized or zinc so I figured aluminum would be alright. Feed back would be great. Here is the drum 75% grinded out. I washed it out good with dawn and degreaser last night after this pic to see my progress better.

And here is what I'm using to grind it out.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #12
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I think the aluminum would be fine. If you dont wanna use it you can buy zinc coated hardware and soak it in vinegar to remove the zinc coating

Old 09-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #13
QueInOveralls
Got Wood.

Well after I got home from drill yesterday I had some time to finish grinding out the inside of the barrel. I then washed it real good and decided what the hell might as well burn it out one more time.

You can kind of see it but I already drilled the pilot holes for my intakes. Harbor Freight was closed so I couldn't purchase the step bit last night and I wasn't about to spend 50 on one at Lowes. I am bringing home a bi-metal hole saw from work today so I chose the free route. When I get home I'll be welding in my exhaust nipples and putting in the grate hardware.

I also bought some bar stock to level out the trailer.

The green circle is the highest level. I have to add 1/8 bar stock to the yellow circle, and 1/4 bar stock to the red level. This square will be the welding points for the UDS so they all needed to be level. This is going to be welding together this evening. Then once I get all my hardware in the UDS it will be welding on also. I'll post pictures when I finished tonight.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #14
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

I would weld bolt tabs on the bottom rim of each drum and on the frame if needed. Then bolt them to the frame instead of welding them.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #15
QueInOveralls
Got Wood.

Smokerking,

I'm not real sure what you mean by bolt tabs? and also can you tell me why you would do that instead?