brisket burnt ends

hogzillas

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ok on the 4th I'm doing a practice brisket w/ new rub I'm working on & I've never been a burnt ends cooker guy but it's an additional experiment. I searched for some threads on burnt ends but nothing really answered my question (maybe there's just too many ways to skin a cat here :wink:)

What's a good length of time to let it rest before separating or do it right when it comes off & allow the flat to rest while the ends go? How long should I put them back on for to cook (I use a bds drum smoker & do it Myron HnF style)? Should I use some au jus or rub/sauce it?

I vent my brisket for five minutes after cooking to stop the cooking process, then seperate. I wrap the point with some beer and Stubbs beef marinade and put back on the cooker for 1-2 hours.

From a post I made a couple weeks ago - First time doing burnt ends, 2nd time making brisket. First time got a flat from cost-co, came out pretty dry. This time, got a choice packer from a meat market and turned out much, much better. Rub only, put in a foil pan and covered in foil at 150, took the top foil off at 190 to firm up the bark, and removed at 195. Separated point from flat, foiled flat and set aside. Cubed the point, tossed in the juice from the foil pan, very light baste with some homemade bbq sauce and sprinkled with rub; poured in some au jus. Back on the smoker uncovered in the pan for an hour. About 10 hours total.

The burnt ends were one of the best things I've ever cooked, period - bbq or otherwise. I'm not a real big fan of the flat, but it was moist and tender. The in-laws came over and neither like smoked food, but they liked this.

IMG_20130622_165413_091.jpg

I take my brisket off the pit and let sit for a few minutes and then cut off the point . I wrap the flat back up and put in the hot box . Cube up the point and put in pan with my bbq sauce. I put back in the smoker uncovered for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours . Then they are done .

Thanks for the replies. I've had some good luck w/ end product using some 1855 brand black angus briskets that I get from my local butcher. I've now been asked to do another one for brother's boss (transplanted Texan) so it'll end up being a couple of test briskets this holiday weekend (doing the boss's on Sat)

Back