Pork Picnic cut- skin on or skinless?

The last one cooked I left the skin on and when I wrapped it I took skin off and put some plowboys yardbird on it and put it back on the grate fat side down to let the fat cook off. Made for some very tastey pork skins!!

I take it off. Can't help but think it would be like smoking a piece of meat inside a football. :biggrin1:

I have always taken it off, or bought without. I have one in my fridge now that I am smoking saturday and plan on leaving on.

My thinking is that I will be able to use it in place of bacon for my baked beans.

Any thoughts on that??

I just cooked five of them. I left the skin on. It came off when I pulled the meat anyway. I dont think it affected the taste at all.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

I just cooked five of them. I left the skin on. It came off when I pulled the meat anyway. I dont think it affected the taste at all.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

If you like bark skin it!, I like bark I skin it.

Its not a taste issue. If you want bark, skin it. if you want skin......

Smoke has a hard enough time getting into a big piece of meat. Leaving the skin on just makes it harder. So, if you want smoke flavor in your meat, get rid of anything that gets between the smoke and the meat.

CD

I've scored and I've removed it. Love the extra bark I get by removing it first. I don't attempt to keep a layer of fat either. There is so much internal fat and moisture waiting to be released during the cook, I find its not needed.

But I do tend to flip a butt or picnic over half way through cook., start fatty side down and flip about half way. It's not needed, but I get a nicer bark on top that way. I love bark in my pulled pork.

I prefer removing the skin and then trimming down the fat.

DSC_0165+resized.jpg

I like the bark I get that way much better.

DSC_0204+resized.jpg

I prefer removing the skin and then trimming down the fat.

DSC_0165+resized.jpg

I like the bark I get that way much better.

DSC_0204+resized.jpg

Nice bark, but on a picnic, it is overrated.

You get far more benefit from leaving skin on (juicier, better fat rendering), than the downside of a little less bark.

:thumb:

YMMV

Opinion based on volume... If 10 butts or less - will cut the fat cap off.

If more than 10; let it roll.

Back