MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
jfletcher84
Full Fledged Farker

Default Mini UDS Vs. UDS

I love my uds but Ihad to trade in my truck for a corolla I would like to take a smoker on vacation with me. how does the mini uds compare to a full size uds? also what is the best design for a mini uds?
jfletcher84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
handsareme
Got Wood.

I'm intrigued to hear the responses too.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:57 AM   #3
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

What I know is that the mini can do the same as the large.
The mini get's up to temp quicker and gets higher in temp from my experience.
The design on my mini is the same as on my Midi and Large (KISS).
Only real problem is that you have less grate space than the bigger versions ofcourse.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
2ndchance
On the road to being a farker

Heres a pic of my MUDS

I made it from my Smokey Joe. The barrel ia 10 gallon barrel that I found which was the hardest part of this. I have heard some other Bretherin are using large pots and 15 gallon barrels for the Smokey Joe MUDS's I made a chacoal basket, and added a ceramic heat sink. There are 2 racks. My next mod will be to add a fitting to hook up my IQ 110 to it.

This little smoker has put out some awesome meat. I took it camping with me last summer and the other campers crazy with the smell of the meat smoking. I have done 2 Boston Butts at the same time in her.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:08 AM   #5
Skidder
Babbling Farker

How mini you talking? This is 12-1/4" tall
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
Phubar

Dang Skid!
That's not a mini...that's micro!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #7
dealm9
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
How mini you talking? This is 12-1/4" tall
thats incredibly small! have any pictures of the inside? how far away is the meat from the charcoal and how much charcoal are you even using in there?

Old 01-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #8
swamprb

Kinda like the drinks at Starbucks!

Short, Grande, Venti.

I'll let you know when I finish up the 30 gallon UDS with a Weber lid (it will be the Tall in the drink lineup!)

I used mine just like I use any of the other drums, its a turbo cooker-so the charcoal basket size has a lot of sway in what I want to do with it.

6"x6"x6"

8" on a SJ charcoal grate

Weber Rapid Fire chimney starter full of Kingsford with room to spare!

I always cooked direct with it and liked the ease of use, it is a tight unit and I could get 2-3 weeknight grilling sessions out of a basket of lump/briqs. Worked fine for me, I just don't use it enough since I got the Mini Cajun Bandit Smoke Joe.

I like doing Reverse Sear cooks and the stainless steel dog dishes I use for diffusers in the Smokey's and the lift off center section just too easy to use-I'm lazy!

KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote