• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

wasabi

Guranimo

Reaction score
A buddy of mine said to use rubs with wasabi and ginger because they give a cleaner heat (meaning it doesn't linger into the next bite so each one is fresh). Anyone have any success or ideas with that?

I would agree that you might get "cleaner heat" but I'd be a little concerned about the flavor of smoked wasabi.

My opinion towards everything in BBQ is that you never really know until you try it. Experiment with it and see if it works for what you are trying to produce.

I like the idea of the cleaner heat but definitely think that the cost might outweigh the benefits. Not to mention, both flavors can be offensive to many people. I personally hate the taste of ginger but love wasabi.

at home, sure,,, give anything a try! i would not try this in competition though. maybe some ginger in a rub, but not in a competition without alot of home practice.

I use powdered ginger in rubs from time to time, I am not sure whether I can even taste it. I have messed around with wasabi as well, but, a little too much and you are gonna make some judges real unhappy. Although, again, I find it gets milder as it gets cooked. I consider it a wild card for that reason, since I can't depend on it to act the same each time.

I use powdered ginger in rubs from time to time, I am not sure whether I can even taste it. I have messed around with wasabi as well, but, a little too much and you are gonna make some judges real unhappy. Although, again, I find it gets milder as it gets cooked. I consider it a wild card for that reason, since I can't depend on it to act the same each time.
Exactly.

No matter what you do, it has to be balanced and fine tuned. That means you need to practice using whatever spice you have an idea about to ensure that nothing is overwhelming and to ensure that it comes out the same each time.

I find it very interesting and refreshing when cooks try something new and different and I tend to score higher in taste . . . IF they have used the new flavor well.

I just listened in on a recording session for a Lawrence, Kansas blues band. They were using an Australian didgeridoo and a Tibetan singing bowl. Those instruments added some cushy layers to the music, but they had to be reigned in so as not to over do it. Same thing goes for ginger and wasabi in BBQ.

I hope this helps.

Back