MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
Black Cat BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Default Terlinqgua Texas and TICC (long)

Unfortunately, I dont have any pix from TICC this year. My husband thought I was taking them and I thought he was! Since this was our 4th year in Terlingua I do have pix from all the past years. It is an absolutely beautiful part of the country. The Texans are some of the friendliest and most helpful people I have met and one of the reasons we return year after year.

In 2006 year we flew into El Paso. Its a 5.5 hour drive southeast to Terlingua from El Paso. It was a late flight so we stayed at a really neat hotel in right outside of Juarez. Tortilla soup and a burger. Old habits....

Attachment 20924
Attachment 20925

Once in Terlingua we stay about 20 minutes outside of the CASI Ranch at a B&B called Ten Bits Ranch. Now, this is not exactly the type of B&B that you find back East. You are in the desert and they are off the grid, so they operate by solar power. You have heat or AC if you need it, water for showering etc, just be mindful and turn off lights conserve water etc etc. (Like living with Mom all over again!) The B&B is themed around an old ghost town and as of this year, they were adding a pool and bar!

Looking down on Ten Bits
Attachment 20920

Inside our room:
Attachment 20921

Outside our room:
Attachment 20922

On the way to the CASI Ranch...what a view!!
Attachment 20923

TICC is always held the first w/e in November. Everything starts on Wednesday and wraps up late Saturday night. Friday is scholarship day. There are competitions in Salsa, Beans and Wings. Top 5 get cash and the winners get checks for $1500! All proceeds go to the CASI scholarship fund.

Getting ready for announcements on Scholarship Day:
Attachment 20905

The CASI Ranch and the BIG SHOW:

looking down on Rancho CASI de los Chisos :
Attachment 20906
Attachment 20908

The Maryland tent with our flag flying right in the middle, two dudes from PA to our left (I think they were trying to figure out how to light their stoves) and the Puget Pod in the front (Hi Ken!!)
Attachment 20907

Two time TICC back to back Champ, Cindy Reed Wilkens and Jim Parker (Owner of the Hard Times Cafe chain). She's rubbin his pepper!
Attachment 20909

The Stage:
Attachment 20910

CASI one man SHOW:
Attachment 20919

Scenery:
Chimney Rock
Attachment 20911
Attachment 20912
Attachment 20914
Attachment 20915
Attachment 20916
Hen Egg Mountain
Attachment 20917
Attachment 20918

Last edited by Black Cat BBQ; 09-05-2009 at 08:28 AM..
Black Cat BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Was the burger and tortilla soup from La Hacienda restaurant? Looks like a good time!
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

Wow,
what a beautiful setting, looks to be a grand time.
thanks for the pictures.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #4
orangeblood
Full Fledged Farker

Very nice! - thanks for posting.
orangeblood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
Black Cat BBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
Was the burger and tortilla soup from La Hacienda restaurant? Looks like a good time!
No we actually ordered room service in the hotel, it was close to midnight and we were starving! It was very good tho. Will put Hacienda on the agenda for next year!

Old 11-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #6
Black Cat BBQ

No, problem anytime! Its a great adventure and there are all sorts of comps to enter or judge. First thing Friday morning we volunteer to judge wings, then beans, then salsa. It all comes with free beer and what ever else you need to cleanse your palette! Sometimes a tums or ten!!

Old 11-11-2008, 09:12 PM   #7
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Nice pics!
The guy in the barrel is actually a friend of mine. Mike Stevens from near Chicago (and New Mexico these days). I've cooked a little chili in my day and my buddy and I are committed to going to Terlingua in 2009. See you there.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2008, 06:29 AM   #8
Chipper
is one Smokin' Farker

Dr., I hope to see you there as well.

Chip
Weber Smokey Mountain
Kamado #7
[URL="http://www.redlionspicyfoods.com"]www.bigchippersbbq.com[/URL]

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/CHARLE%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2008, 08:51 AM   #9
Black Cat BBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
Nice pics!
The guy in the barrel is actually a friend of mine. Mike Stevens from near Chicago (and New Mexico these days). I've cooked a little chili in my day and my buddy and I are committed to going to Terlingua in 2009. See you there.
Thanks!

Really?? For the brisket comp or chili or both?

We met Mike in Chicago this year. We went out there in January for the Chilly Willie CCO. Him and his wife were fantastic hosts! They have won many a contest and are just all around great people.